Dislikes
Side effects from medication
is an insulin thats been properly stored
not opened
still good
with an expiry date
of 2022 of the 1st month?
if so for how long?

and how long in general is an expired insulin good for?
for example x number of months?

its a rapid insulin in question
in a pen format

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that it would probably be OK. However, do a test, and see whether the result is more or less what you would expect

Reactions: cdpm

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Most the stuff I've read would suggest protein breakdown after the expiry date would make the insulin less effective.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I once used insulin, which was 2 months overdue, everything was fine, but the dose took a little more than usual

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Out of date insulin is better than no insulin but, unless I had no choice, I would not risk anything out of date that keeps me alive.

I hate waste but think I would hate problems from insulin not working even more.
Why are you asking this question, @cdpm ?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and cdpm

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
and how long in general is an expired insulin good for?
for example x number of months?

I wouldn't use an expired insulin, even if it had been stored in the fridge.

Having said that, I am lucky to live in a country where the government pays for my insulin. If I had the choice between no insulin and expired insulin, I'd probably use the expired stuff. But as a T1 I'd be dead pretty soon without it so I'd be off to A&E if my blood tests showed my insulin wasn't working and I couldn't access new insulin from my GP or pharmacy.

Obviously it doesn't magically go off 1 day past its expiration date. The manufacturers guarantee that it's fine (if stored correctly) up to its expiration date. After that, they make no promises...

I've got to say that 6 months is a long way past the expiration date, though?

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d second the suggestion of trying it and seeing if it’s lost potency. You should be able to tell soon enough. General recommendation from doctors on most meds is six months after exp. date.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Out of date insulin is better than no insulin but, unless I had no choice, I would not risk anything out of date that keeps me alive.

I hate waste but think I would hate problems from insulin not working even more.
Why are you asking this question, @cdpm ?
I hate to waste it

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve used OOD insulin by accident and didn’t even notice, I have learnt to rotate new with old in fridge, I tend to have a box left when new stuff arrives so was just putting in fridge door in front, then using that, I noticed it was well out of date but think I was on last pen, can’t remember how long but remember it was well old, probly six months. Now I always tuck new boxes behind old.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
with an expiry date
of 2022 of the 1st month?
That's a year out of date.
I wouldn't use it unless it was that or nothing.

I likely would use insulin up to a month or so out of date while keeping a very close eye on my numbers, but a year would be too long for me.