Variations in BM levels during the day

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I’m looking for some advice. Type 2 diagnosed August 2021 Hba1C 73. Now diet controlled no medication. I am using a Freestyle Libre 2 Hba1C 6.2% 44mmol/mol Average Daily Glucose over 7 days 7.9 mmil/l My daily average hits 9.0 between 10.00am & 4.00pm The rest of the time it’s 7.5. Breakfast 2 x boiled eggs, lunch homemade vegetable soup 2x chicken legs & handful of nuts. Dinner 100g potatoes, Chicken or meat & lots of veg. (no significant increase in Libre readings) I am looking for advice on how I can reduce my mid-day levels. Also looking for high calorie low carb food or drinks, as I need to stop losing weight.

Yulkuy

Are you 100% sure you are type 2 and not slow-developing type 1 if you don't have significant weight to lose? If you are thin and eat a low carb diet in most cases I guess your levels should be a bit lower, especially as you are not an advanced stage diabetic. I am not an expert though.

Also, if you can't stop losing weight, it points to type 1 too...

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you 100% sure you are type 2 and not slow-developing type 1 if you don't have significant weight to lose? If you are thin and eat a low carb diet in most cases I guess your levels should be a bit lower, especially as you are not an advanced stage diabetic. I am not an expert though.

Also, if you can't stop losing weight, it points to type 1 too...
Hi. I was diagnosed type two in July 2021. I have lost 1 ½ stone since then on a low carb diet.

Yulkuy

Hi. I was diagnosed type two in July 2021. I have lost 1 ½ stone since then on a low carb diet.
Yeah, but did you get your HOMA-IR and antibodies tested? I see a lot of people on reddit getting misdiagnosed nowadays, they are able to somewhat lower their numbers by diets for a few months/years, then their beta cells completely die and their misdiagnosis becomes apparent

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I would second @Yulkuy 's suggestion that you get slow developing T1 (aka T1.5 / LADA) ruled out, usually by cpeptide and GAD tests (in the UK anyway).

It's not uncommon for LADA folk to find their diminished insulin production responds well to a lower carb diet, but then diminishes more and can no longer cope....

There are a number of possible reasons for unintended weight loss: I would urge you to talk to your GP.

Having said that, you could just not be eating enough calories and a few too many carbs. I guess the potatoes in the evening are an obvious carb hit. As for the daytime highs, you could have dawn phenomena where your liver helpfully dumps out sugar first thing and your body just can't cope....

How do you feel about cheese for low carb high calory snacks?

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would second @Yulkuy 's suggestion that you get slow developing T1 (aka T1.5 / LADA) ruled out, usually by cpeptide and GAD tests (in the UK anyway).

It's not uncommon for LADA folk to find their diminished insulin production responds well to a lower carb diet, but then diminishes more and can no longer cope....

There are a number of possible reasons for unintended weight loss: I would urge you to talk to your GP.

Having said that, you could just not be eating enough calories and a few too many carbs. I guess the potatoes in the evening are an obvious carb hit. As for the daytime highs, you could have dawn phenomena where your liver helpfully dumps out sugar first thing and your body just can't cope....

How do you feel about cheese for low carb high calory snacks?

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the information. I have not had a test for HOMA-IR and antibodies.

I will ask my GP about getting these done at my annual review next month if I can get to see a GP.

I have lost 1 ½ stone but that has been over the last 11 months, and I was putting this down to not enough calories. It’s not a case of stopping losing weight just trying to maintain my weight as the weight loss has been gradual and I am not underweighted.

Being new to Diabetes I was not aware of T1.5 LADA and will now discuss this with my GP. The potatoes in the evening have very little effect on my BM, not generally going above 8.0. My issue is the spike from 10.00am to 4.00pm after this time they can drop down to 5.5 and on occasions dropped to 3.6 and will then stay in the 6-7 range for the rest of the evening. According to my Libre I am generally only out of range between 10.00am & 4.00pm and feel if I can get this down, I could get my Hba1c down to 40mmpl/mol which is my goal. I am aware of the dawn phenomena and thought that it normally occurs between 4 & 8am. But am not sure how long this influences my BM. I will follow up on the LADA possibility. I do enjoy cheese and will increase the amount I have. Thanks for all the valuable information.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
According to my Libre I am generally only out of range between 10.00am & 4.00pm and feel if I can get this down, I could get my Hba1c down to 40mmpl/mol which is my goal.

Do you ever check your libre against a glucometer? It works well for many/most but does depend on you being Mr Everyman. Some people just don't get accurate results.

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Yes I always check when I fit a new sensor and once every other day. I have had two sensors replaced FOC by Abbot because they were not accurate.