sudden onset of severe insulin resistance

JoyChaos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
has this happened to anyone before? also can taking fenugreek make me more insulin resistant. read its suppose to help but idk if its just coincidence but my resistance is worse after i wake up now than toward the evenings

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I would be amazed to be honest, but if it does, that would be extremely interesting so looking forward to your replies.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I might have missed something. How are you measuring insulin resistance?

JoyChaos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I might have missed something. How are you measuring insulin resistance?
im basing it off the fact that the same insulin rates i was using 2-3 weeks ago isnt working AT ALL. ive increased everything from basal, to bolus to correction

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
im basing it off the fact that the same insulin rates i was using 2-3 weeks ago isnt working AT ALL. ive increased everything from basal, to bolus to correction

Any chance you're ill? eg covid? (eg I've had urine infections without symptoms),
Or you've had a very very long honeymoon that is only just ending?
There are unfortunately a lot of reasons why one's insulin needs can suddenly go up....:bigtears:

I usually need more insulin in the mornings because of dawn phenomena....

In theory it's supposed to help T2s...
Effect of Trigonella foenum-graecum (fenugreek) seeds on glycaemic control and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a double blind placebo controlled study - PubMed (nih.gov)

But I can't find anything about its effects on T1s....

Maybe you should trial a week without it and see if it makes a difference???

Reactions: Hopeful34

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you injecting @JoyChaos ?
Sudden high bgs occur when I am ill but also when I've got my pump site on top of a fatty lump or the cannula hasn't gone in properly OR as others have mentioned when I am ill in which case the insulin I take doesn't seem to make a dent.
Just be wary of a sudden reversal in the other direction.
IR caused by weight gain, pregnancy etc. would not be so dramatic as you describe but yes type 1s can get 'double diabetes' too.

Reactions: JoyChaos

JoyChaos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any chance you're ill? eg covid? (eg I've had urine infections without symptoms),
Or you've had a very very long honeymoon that is only just ending?
There are unfortunately a lot of reasons why one's insulin needs can suddenly go up....:bigtears:

I usually need more insulin in the mornings because of dawn phenomena....

In theory it's supposed to help T2s...

But I can't find anything about its effects on T1s....

Maybe you should trial a week without it and see if it makes a difference???

I dont know if i'm sick. I dont feel ill and all of my drs are so booked i cant see anyone till the 13th. Ive been diabetic for idk 16-17 years now and ive never experienced anything like this before.

JoyChaos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you injecting @JoyChaos ?
Sudden high bgs occur when I am ill but also when I've got my pump site on top of a fatty lump or the cannula hasn't gone in properly OR as others have mentioned when I am ill in which case the insulin I take doesn't seem to make a dent.
Just be wary of a sudden reversal in the other direction.
IR caused by weight gain, pregnancy etc. would not be so dramatic as you describe but yes type 1s can get 'double diabetes' too.

the only thing i can think of is maybe just maybe i have a yeast infection. im not having any symptoms of that, but usually i dont have in your face, loud symptoms either. might get an at home test just to see. but i cant see anyone till two weeks. every dr i goto is booked up the wazoo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the only thing i can think of is maybe just maybe i have a yeast infection. im not having any symptoms of that, but usually i dont have in your face, loud symptoms either. might get an at home test just to see. but i cant see anyone till two weeks. every dr i goto is booked up the wazoo
Yeasty infections didn't do that for me and were usually a sign of high blood sugars so the sudden insulin resistance may have caused that and not the other way around. Keep drinking plenty of fluid, massage the sites and let us know if you find out what's caused this!