Tiredness whilst blood sugars normalise.

aefw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I have struggled to control my blood sugars over the last few months and have been prescribed empagliflozin which I started 5 days ago. My blood sugars are coming down, which is great, but for the last couple of days I have been unbelievably tired. Is this normal whilst my body gets used to lower levels of sugar in body or should I be worried?
Thanks for any help you can give.

malarkey85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, I'm type 2 and on insulin. I feel exhausted when my sugars are high and exhausted when they are too low!! I really hope there is a balance at some point. I know my diabetic nurse said that as sugars come it can make your more tired as your body isn't used to it if been running high for a while.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
yes, it is absolutely normal to feel tired (as well as irritated or a change in behavior) due to bg. Your brain loves glucose, so changes in its level in the blood affect its work

Reactions: aefw and Speedbird

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, and welcome to the forums. It's normal for me to feel tired with BG shifts. I have always noticed tiredness/sleepiness when coming into ketosis, associated with my BGs falling. It's just something that happens for me and it passes off fairly quickly - usually a few hours. Have you checked for ketones in your urine? They would be there if you are in ketosis.

I have no experience with empagliflozin but I see from the NHS website that it can cause low BG if taken with some other meds or if the dose is too high. You might feel you need to discuss this with your GP.

Reactions: aefw

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I have struggled to control my blood sugars over the last few months and have been prescribed empagliflozin which I started 5 days ago. My blood sugars are coming down, which is great, but for the last couple of days I have been unbelievably tired. Is this normal whilst my body gets used to lower levels of sugar in body or should I be worried?
Thanks for any help you can give.
I think the advice while on any of the 'flozins' is not to suddenly reduce carbs but to do it slowly and steadily.

D

Deleted member 543160

I believe that tiredness/lack of energy can be the result of switching from a high carb to an LCHF diet while your body is getting used to burning both carbs and fats for energy.

@Zhnyaka - as a T2 on a low carb high fat diet, my brain actually prefers ketones as its main fuel source rather than just glucose,

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I believe that tiredness/lack of energy can be the result of switching from a high carb to an LCHF diet while your body is getting used to burning both carbs and fats for energy.

@Zhnyaka - as a T2 on a low carb high fat diet, my brain actually prefers ketones as its main fuel source rather than just glucose,
As for many t1, ketones are primarily associated with ketoacidosis for me, so it's a little surprising to me to hear someone talk about ketones as something good:hilarious:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There's fortunately a big difference between ketones following dietary ketosis and ketones signifying ketoacidosis. And you are right that ketoacidosis needs to be avoided.

This goes into some detail on the dietary one:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/measuring-ketosis-on-a-keto-diet.html

Cheers
I know the difference, it's just that the word "ketones" makes me have unpleasant memories of a pre-comatose state. It's funny enough to notice for myself when I seem to know that what a person is talking about is good, but memories still pop up in my memory

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the difference, it's just that the word "ketones" makes me have unpleasant memories of a pre-comatose state. It's funny enough to notice for myself when I seem to know that what a person is talking about is good, but memories still pop up in my memory
I understand that. I have a couple of similar memories myself!

Reactions: Zhnyaka