Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hey, I'm new to this forum so I'm not even sure how to use it properly lol. I don't know anybody the same as me with type 1, so I wanted to get to know people like myself.

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi :) its nice to get a reply so soon after i posted something.
I've had it for 20 years.

Reactions: sleepster

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings @Lrlp, normally there'd be plenty of T1s around to chime in.
How's the control been in those 20 years, we'd love to hear your story when your ready

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I went through a stage when I was a teenager of poor control and my boyfriend at the time was a nasty piece of work. Long story.
My control after splitting up with him got better and better but right now my blood sugar levels seem to be higher in the mornings which gets me stressed, which probably makes it worse. So I'm trying to sort the issue out. It's not been doing this for a long time, maybe a couple of weeks. And I'm obsessed with testing my sugars.....alot! Even in the middle of the night. Lol

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Lrlp and welcome to the forums.

I've been diagnosed since I was 8 (52 years) and I can certainly relate to poor diabetic teenage control (my teenage years were pre glucometer and though I was on a fixed dose fixed carb regime I definitely overdid my carbs :)).

I find that continuous glucose monitors make a massive difference to my life now (just wish I'd had it during my two T1 pregnancies which had some very traumatic hypos:)).

As for your morning readings, have you considered the delights of the dawn phenomena? Are you on a pump or a basal/bolus regime?

Once more, welcome.

Reactions: Lrlp

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello. Thank you for welcoming me :)

I was the opposite when I was a teenager. I wasn't eating much at all. I kept losing weight and people were worried about me losing so much weight. I put on alot of weight since then but my hba1c has been so much better. But even when I weighed so much less I would still think I was fat :/

I have been on glargine for many years which I take before before bed, which was making my sugars go low in the night. So my nurse wanted me to finish up the rest of the glargine and start on treceba (not sure if I've spelt that correctly) so tonight I have started on the treceba. I don't know if it'll help at all with the highs we shall see I guess. Its just odd how all of a sudden its been high in the mornings.

I was also on the libre 1 when it hadn't long been about and I had that for about 8 months but then all of a sudden developed a reaction to the adhesive so went back to the finger pricks. But I want to try libre 3 at some point. Do you have a libre?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was also on the libre 1 when it hadn't long been about and I had that for about 8 months but then all of a sudden developed a reaction to the adhesive so went back to the finger pricks. But I want to try libre 3 at some point. Do you have a libre?

Like you, I developed an allergy after using the libre 1 for two years, and it became completely inaccurate for me. (To be fair to Abbott , they sent me numerous replacement sensors and even a replacement reader but it turned out that my body didn't agree with their sensors). I went back to finger procking and for the last two years have used a dexcom, with cavillon cream to prevent an allergy from developing.

My understanding is that UK T1s are now eligible for NHS funded libre and/or dexcom, so it might be worth your while asking next time you visit your clinic (assuming you are in the UK).

(I'm in New Zealand and currently have to self fund, though there is some talk of eventual funding for cgms. )

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
My nurse told me that quite alot of people have a reaction to the libre adhesive. I thought it may have just been me as my skin is sensitive to things like that.

Update on the traciba. My bloods stayed level throughout the night and are not high this morning. I wonder why it had started to do that with the glargine well I just hope it continues to stay level like that over night.

Yes I live in Wales in the UK :)
Do you find that the dexcom is more accurate? I also noticed that the libre would often tell me my sugars were low when they weren't.
I hope you'll be able to get the dexcom funded over in New Zealand soon.

Reactions: EllieM

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Lrip I too had a bad skin reaction to Libre 1 and solved it by spraying 4 layers of Cavillon underneath. I continued to do that with Libre 2 though I was led to believe glue had been altered. A few weeks ago I did a hospital trial for Abbott. Had to wear a 1 and two 3s, all were put on without protection and I had no reaction. Have worn 3 Libre 2s since the trial without Cavillon and they have all been fine. So it may be worth having another go.
From what was said, It doesn’t sound as though the 3 will become available to everyone unfortunately. Plus you will need an Android phone. There is no app for Apple as yet and no monitor.

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi Becca :)

Ohh that's really interesting to know and I'm glad you didn't get a reaction to the adhesive this time round. Spraying cavillon underneath is also a good idea. I'd wouldn't have thought to do that.

I've got an android phone. I guess I just need to talk to my nurse and see what my options are and if I'm allowed to even have the libre 3.

Reactions: EllieM

RoughcutAU

Welcome to the Forums. T1D here for almost 1 year - so still quite fresh.

I found this forum a great place to interact with and learn from others with Type 1 as until quite recently didnt know anyone else with the condition. (I did a DAFNE a few weeks ago).

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Welcome to the Forums. T1D here for almost 1 year - so still quite fresh.

I found this forum a great place to interact with and learn from others with Type 1 as until quite recently didnt know anyone else with the condition. (I did a DAFNE a few weeks ago).

I don't know why I didn't join sooner to a forum. I don't have Facebook because there's always some drama going on so I couldn't join one of their pages lol. I wish I could meet people with t1d in my area. I feel like the only one
But it's already made me feel better talking to people like you on this forum.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's a DAFNE?

RoughcutAU

DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) is an adult education course for people with Type 1 diabetes run in several countries around the world.

While the principles and guidelines are often questioned (by some on these forums) i found it very useful learning from the experience of the other participants in the group.

It was amazing to meet fellow T1Ds from all walks of life and different experience levels (2 months to 50years!) and hear their stories.

I won’t rabbit on too much about it ... it might bore ppl. :)

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Ohhh I've learnt something new I honestly had no idea what it was. I think I've lived in West Wales too long

Rabbit on as much as you want because I'd like to know different things and what other type 1 diabetics do etc. Random question but if you go out for a meal, how do you usually work out how much insulin to take? I sometimes get it wrong

Reactions: RoughcutAU

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you find that the dexcom is more accurate? I also noticed that the libre would often tell me my sugars were low when they weren't.

I find it more accurate than the libre 1 (which wouldn't be difficult, as my allergy resulted in the libre 1 readings going completely out of sync with my actual readings).

It sometimes reads a bit low with a new sensor (top tip, don't start a sensor at night) and I think it's the nature of the technology that sometimes you get a bad sensor, not sure whether that's location (sensor reacting with skin) or the sensor itself. It's worth checking against a bg strip occasionally to make sure a sensor is in range, and, of possible, double check a hypo.

But I love my dexcom, the hypo alerts in particular. (I have a history of occasional somewhat dicey hypo awareness if I have too many hypos.)

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I find it more accurate than the libre 1 (which wouldn't be difficult, as my allergy resulted in the libre 1 readings going completely out of sync with my actual readings).

It sometimes reads a bit low with a new sensor (top tip, don't start a sensor at night) and I think it's the nature of the technology that sometimes you get a bad sensor, not sure whether that's location (sensor reacting with skin) or the sensor itself. It's worth checking against a bg strip occasionally to make sure a sensor is in range, and, of possible, double check a hypo.

But I love my dexcom, the hypo alerts in particular. (I have a history of occasional somewhat dicey hypo awareness if I have too many hypos.)

That's exactly what happened to me with the libre 1. My skin ended up with horrible blisters and it was so itchy. It would tell me that my blood sugar level was in the 3 range but when I tested my blood it was infact in the 7's.

Thank you for sharing things with me. I really appreciate it :)
This is very random but if you have a bath, does it ever make your sugar levels drop? If nobody else experiences this then I'm unique haha.

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

Thanks. I just had a little read of the comments. Atleast I'm not the only one. It's only when the water is too hot which makes it go low. I always keep lucozade with me and keep it by the bath.
One thing which has annoyed me is that the lucozade bottles are smaller now. I used to buy the dextro tablets so I might start doing that again instead. I can't even remember why I stopped buying them.