Russian roulette with sugar??

leedsgirl

I am ashamed to say I have been cheating (cheating myself obviously) by regularly snacking on carbs and lots and lots of sugary things. I have depression (taking fluoxetine) and, no excuse, but comfort eating is a downfall of mine I'm sorry to say. However, I am surprised that this sugar binge habit has had no effect on my blood sugar whatsoever! My readings keep falling between 6.0 and 6.5. I am suprised (relieved) that they are so low considering my sabotage and I wonder what you guys think? Today I ate a peanut brittle bar, a Fry's Turkish Delight and four Roses chocolates from a big tin. Two hours later....blood sugar 6.2. Are my meds too high (1.5g metformin and 2mg glimepride)? Am I not really diabetic after all? Am I still in danger of complications even though my blood sugar readings are good? I am confused. Can I just say before anyone bites at me..........I do know it is not a good idea to consume lots of sugary things whether you are diabetic or not (that's another issue for another day); my blood sugars have been taken on different machines and my own machine has been callibrated, same sort of results when done at the surgery, etc and also my long term average readings were 6.3 and 6.4 at my last two check ups with the diabetic nurse. So it's not faulty readings; I haven't had any hypos so it hasnt been very low at any time thereby bringing up the average. The only time it has been high since diagnosis was when I had pneumonia and was put on steroids (19.5). However, I do have a hypo if I don't eat regularly. So.....has anybody got any ideas as to why all the extra sweet stuff hasn't upped my blood sugars and am I still at risk of complications even if my blood sugars read well? Please advise. :***:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Try eating those things and then measure after say 15 mins or 30 mins and see if you're 6.5 then. Wonder how BIG your spike is then.

Take care

Unbeliever

Glimepiride causes hunger pangs, I have never had a big appetite or a sweet tooth but would sometimes find myself with a piece of dry bread in my hand about to stuff it into my mouth when I would suddenly realise what I was doing and stop!

Maybe you don't need it? If not I should ry not to take it as it does cause weight gain and wears out your pancreas faster.

Maybe overmedication is keeping your blood sugar low .

Can id with you. I have depression bad at moment. eg today, no excersize and ate a whopping 4 chocolate bars so far. on Byetta to try and help (injectable) for last 2 months and it makes me sick if I stuff myself so if Im depressed I cheat and dont take it. Ordered 2 pizza delivered last night. Due to go to diabetic clinic next week but waiting till day n ringing in sick cos I know I'll have put on weight. When on good day I do try and take exersize and eat healthily. Scared blood reading will be so high not going.
Point I am trying to make is if I stuff myself with everything sugary I can find (self hatred) its no different to self harm but we get no help. People just judge you and cant understand. dRINKING full sugar drinks n chocs as I am writing. No help out there

lindainsomerset

So glad you guys were brave enough to post. Thought I was only one with 'self harming' tendencies. I know I should cut back on bread/pizza's and wine but can't (won't) :( Readings always above 10, and I hate myself for being so weak. When I go to Dr's I pretend to be upbeat and in control, but inside I am so very low. I'm only 1/2 stone overweight but can't even lose that! On 2 x merformin/day, hoping if I take 3 after next visit I will be ok.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Terribly sad to hear these stories of self-hatred and self-harm/neglect. My heart goes out to people who are struggling to address their diabetes "issues", or using food to punish themselves. I know I have used food to "stuff down emotions" in the past but I also know that it doesn't work.

I really would urge anyone who feels broken or depressed to seek help. Go to counselling, or go to Church, or speak to someone you trust. You could even phone the Samaritans, I don't think they'd mind at all. Of course, this forum is here too and full of people who are facing similar challenges... There is SO much help here.

Since being diagnosed I have taken the bull by the horns and started dieting, exercising and testing. I decided that enough is enough, I'm tired of looking after other people and putting myself last! I arranged counselling for myself, bought some new clothes (even though I'm shrinking lol) and got a pedometer, diabetes books and a meter (+ strips). I go to bed earlier now (when I want to, regardless of what time my boyfriend wants to go up) and I generally set aside the time/money to look after MY needs.

You see - this condition gives you the excuse you need to LOVE yourself and take care of yourself. :wink: Let yourself be energised by the battle with diabetes. Become your own hero (heroine). I'm sure you are SO worth it, despite how you feel inside. x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's not possible for us to diagnose you on the forum. Your BS readings are certainly good and indicate that with your medication you are under good control even with a high sugar intake. What we don't know, of course, is what the readings would be with a lower level of medication? I presume Glimepride was added some time after you went onto Metformin and hence you had elevated BS to have it added? You may want to discuss lowering some of the meds with your GP if your next Hba1C is a good, low figure. Lower meds and lower sugar intake is the ideal solution if your GP agrees, but you know that don't you :D

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
There is no history in my family - yes I am the only one! So, was it the three teaspoonfuls of sugar that I had in my tea when young that upset my pancreas? I was not overweight and was very very active yet still I 'caught' Diabetes Type 2. Members here who self-torture with sugary treats know full well, whatever their BG readings are, that they are hastening amputations and early death. I was a proverbial 'sweet-tooth' please, please, please, know that it is much easier to go off sweet foods than you think and, being one of Diabetes.co older members, speak with the confidence of those years.

leedsgirl

Glados said:
Terribly sad to hear these stories of self-hatred and self-harm/neglect. My heart goes out to people who are struggling to address their diabetes "issues", or using food to punish themselves. I know I have used food to "stuff down emotions" in the past but I also know that it doesn't work.

I really would urge anyone who feels broken or depressed to seek help. Go to counselling, or go to Church, or speak to someone you trust. You could even phone the Samaritans, I don't think they'd mind at all. Of course, this forum is here too and full of people who are facing similar challenges... There is SO much help here.

Since being diagnosed I have taken the bull by the horns and started dieting, exercising and testing. I decided that enough is enough, I'm tired of looking after other people and putting myself last! I arranged counselling for myself, bought some new clothes (even though I'm shrinking lol) and got a pedometer, diabetes books and a meter (+ strips). I go to bed earlier now (when I want to, regardless of what time my boyfriend wants to go up) and I generally set aside the time/money to look after MY needs.

You see - this condition gives you the excuse you need to LOVE yourself and take care of yourself. :wink: Let yourself be energised by the battle with diabetes. Become your own hero (heroine). I'm sure you are SO worth it, despite how you feel inside. x
Thank you so much for your wonderful words of support. It is really a problem of mine due to a deeper seated problem from childhood and I know I have to get myself in check, self-sabotage is a horrid, horrid habit to have and I do it in so many ways every day. I have had episodes in my life when I've been able to control the self harm, but generally chocolate binges got me through whatever I faced. Now that chocolate is to be an extremely limited treat (since my diabetes diagnosis) I have lost my best ally in my daily battle with self loathing. Incidentally, if you met me you would think I was extremely confident, self-assured and of strong resolve. I am an adult other people see as a strong woman. Inside I am a dying child.

leedsgirl

Daibell said:
Hi. It's not possible for us to diagnose you on the forum. Your BS readings are certainly good and indicate that with your medication you are under good control even with a high sugar intake. What we don't know, of course, is what the readings would be with a lower level of medication? I presume Glimepride was added some time after you went onto Metformin and hence you had elevated BS to have it added? You may want to discuss lowering some of the meds with your GP if your next Hba1C is a good, low figure. Lower meds and lower sugar intake is the ideal solution if your GP agrees, but you know that don't you :D
Thanks for your reply. No actually I was put on Glimepride and 2 x Metformin at my first appointment after diagnosis. Don't know why and didn't ask. I just assumed the GP knew what he was doing. Later, a third Metformin was added and I've been on that dosage for about a year. I'm sure my BS readings would be high without this amount of medication, but I'm reluctant to go and ask them to lower it when I know I can't control the sugar binges. :problem:

leedsgirl

carolthebarrel said:
Can id with you. I have depression bad at moment. eg today, no excersize and ate a whopping 4 chocolate bars so far. on Byetta to try and help (injectable) for last 2 months and it makes me sick if I stuff myself so if Im depressed I cheat and dont take it. Ordered 2 pizza delivered last night. Due to go to diabetic clinic next week but waiting till day n ringing in sick cos I know I'll have put on weight. When on good day I do try and take exersize and eat healthily. Scared blood reading will be so high not going.
Point I am trying to make is if I stuff myself with everything sugary I can find (self hatred) its no different to self harm but we get no help. People just judge you and cant understand. dRINKING full sugar drinks n chocs as I am writing. No help out there
It's a daily nightmare, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Carolthebarrel. I have sympathy with your depression and binges, but please don't damage yourself thru sugar & excess carbs. You can eat 85% chocolate bars with little carb intake. You can have nice fry-ups with little carb intake. There are pleasant low-sugar drinks and so on.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of these posts - I could have written myself. I always struggles with food and am a huge emotional eater. and yes I do use it to punish myself and then it gets in a vicious circle...or binge hate binge.....

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just found this thread and so glad that I did. I too could have written the original post. I am also on anti depressants and I'm chocoholic and have other issues in my life at the moment.

Just as OP said, I too can eat sugary stuff without it affecting my BG. I keep reading that it will have an effect in the long term but in the short term it's hard to believe. I was really strict between diagnosis and xmas as I was terrified of the consequences of eating sweets. However, I did it at xmas and "got away with it" so now, mentally, I feel it won't do me any harm and the fear factor has gone. And the weight loss has stopped. I also began to think maybe I don't have T2 after all. All week my +2hrs reading after evening meal is 5.5 or thereabouts. That includes eating chocolate and jaffa cakes and choc digestives and maltesers throughout the day!

Last night I decided I needed some shock treatment. So I ate a full box of after 8s (asda equivalent as they are thicker and have more chocolate and are cheaper). I also ate a small tub of vanilla ice cream, some maltesers and some wine gums. Began to feel an odd tired sensation-not full or sick as I could easily have eaten alot more. Tested my BG and it was 11.4. This is the highest its been since diagnosis and gave me the fright I needed. I have not cheated today at all. I keep imagining all that sugar going round my body and all the harm it could be doing. My reading tonight +2hrs was back to 4.9.
I just hope I can maintain the frightened feeling.

I am not advocating this in any way but just wanted to share the fact that I think I'm getting away with it when in reality I'm not. I am only cheating myself.

PS I really enjoyed eating them while it lasted :D

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Leedsgirl... I replied but somehow my post got lost :? . Just wanted to say *hug*, stick around, get support from us when you need it and be as nice to yourself as you can. By having the courage to post you've allowed others to express themselves too. That's a wonderful contribution to the forum.

Unbeliever

We often hear of the dangers of people using insulin to cover anyhing hey wish to eat bu its perfectly possible to do that with medication too. The presen sysem positively encourages it as so long as yor HBA1C is accepable you will never be quesioned about it or encouraged o sop takig medication which is bad for you in the long term.