I'm a diabetic with neuropathy. Will the NHS help around the house? A blue disability badge?

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've had serious neuropathy in my feet, legs hands, and arm. Sometimes movement can be difficult so is there any way I can get a blue badge? I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow. And can the NHS provide a helper around the home to help with cooking, cleaning the house etc? I'm not asking for a lot of help.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @ChrisMaleType1 really sorry to read about you experiencing this....i personally don't know the answers to your questions but hopefully somebody with knowledge will be along to help with some answers -- good luck speaking with your GP and i hope you can get some help for your everyday living needs

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chris. Sorry to hear about your problems.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/

This website above is a good jumping-off point for basic info. Obviously I can't tell you whether you might qualify as there are a number of stages and assessments involved in this sort of process. I know also there are support forums where people with experience might be able to help.

Best of luck

Reactions: himtoo

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The official guidance about who can apply for a blue badge is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

If you receive PIP or DLA payments because of your mobility issues, it’s straightforward. If you don’t, then your eligibility is assessed by your local authority.

The NHS does not provide home help. You may be able to get some help with the costs from your local authority. If you receive PIP or DLA, this is given in part to help you afford such services.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...e-services-equipment-and-care-homes/homecare/

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've had serious neuropathy in my feet, legs hands, and arm. Sometimes movement can be difficult so is there any way I can get a blue badge? I'm speaking to my GP tomorrow. And can the NHS provide a helper around the home to help with cooking, cleaning the house etc? I'm not asking for a lot of help.

You should be able to apply for PIP if you have neuropathy and if you are on medication for this. Neuropathy is strange because somedays are worse than others all depending on blood glucose levels and we all know how hard it can be to control as its not just carbohydrates that affect our blood glucose. Stress plays a huge part and is something we cannot control especially living in these times.
If you do apply for PIP, base your application on your worst day. Thats the advice that I see is given in many forums. PIP is based on your condition and how it affects you for 50% of the time over several months. You may be able to walk more than 50 meters but you are in pain. We have to walk, we have no choice but to walk. Nobody sees your pain.
I honestly feel that the DWP should re evaluate PIP and neuropathy because many of us have no choice but to walk and to work yet we have so much pain. Also neuropathy is very strange because it can sometimes be worse when lying down and trying to sleep with burning legs and feet is very uncomfortable. Its a condition that affects you in different ways everyday.

At the end of the day, PIP is about how your condition affects your daily life. I do not believe the descriptor of not being able to walk 50 meters should even apply to this condition. The fact remains, you have no choice to walk if you want to be in a job. We can walk but its the pain of walking that should take precedence on this descriptor.

I believe you can apply for a blue badge with neuropathy. Just complete the application and submit your prescription and doctors details.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

glenmoray

You should be able to apply for PIP if you have neuropathy and if you are on medication for this. Neuropathy is strange because somedays are worse than others all depending on blood glucose levels and we all know how hard it can be to control as its not just carbohydrates that affect our blood glucose. Stress plays a huge part and is something we cannot control especially living in these times.
If you do apply for PIP, base your application on your worst day. Thats the advice that I see is given in many forums. PIP is based on your condition and how it affects you for 50% of the time over several months. You may be able to walk more than 50 meters but you are in pain. We have to walk, we have no choice but to walk. Nobody sees your pain.
I honestly feel that the DWP should re evaluate PIP and neuropathy because many of us have no choice but to walk and to work yet we have so much pain. Also neuropathy is very strange because it can sometimes be worse when lying down and trying to sleep with burning legs and feet is very uncomfortable. Its a condition that affects you in different ways everyday.

At the end of the day, PIP is about how your condition affects your daily life. I do not believe the descriptor of not being able to walk 50 meters should even apply to this condition. The fact remains, you have no choice to walk if you want to be in a job. We can walk but its the pain of walking that should take precedence on this descriptor.

I believe you can apply for a blue badge with neuropathy. Just complete the application and submit your prescription and doctors details.
Hi, I’m Ian. I have been a type 1 diabetic now 45 years. I now have Neuropathy in both of my feet, legs and hands now. The Blue Disabled Badge is a very sticky area to apply for and it all depend on your ability to walk and get yourself around . I got my blue badge after 5 attempts . The 5th attempt someone advised me too apply for it as if it was your worst day. The questions they ask you is how far can you walk. If you can walk more than a few steps you will not get one. In the end my Diabetic Consultant advised me too apply for PIP ( Personal Independence Payments. This you can get if your working or not and is given to you based on your disability around the house and while out. Again fill out the paperwork as based on your worst day. Once your awarded PIP which has 2 sections based on your Mobility and your personal care. On the highest mobility awarded you can get a mobility car or mobility scooter. Once you have been awarded PIP your Disabled badge is near enough Guaranteed. As I said though you have to be honest applying for PIP and your disabled badge based on how you feel and what you can do on your worst day. I’ve had my disabled badge now for over 15 years . I can literally walk less than a few steps now because I’ve had many falls again based on my Neuropathy and I now need help to get dressed and showering. I’m not on the Maximum PIP awarded. Don’t be put off if they refuse your application for your Disabled Badge just reapply again. Eventually you will get the badge and PIP helped my application . If you look on the Disabled Pass application for there is a section saying , Are you awarded PIP. Another big points depends on where you live. Birmingham is really hard to get a blue badge. As I said it took me 5 attempts and a PIP application where as a few miles down the road Dudley Council you get a pass literally given too you. Wolverhampton council is another easy area to get a blue badge. Hope you live in a area which is easy to get one.

Reactions: Ledzeptt