New Contour Next meter available free for Australian diabetics.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ascensia Australia have just started to advertise thier new Contour Next meter with a childproof battery cover. owing to the new battery button law that came into effect atthe begining of July 2022.

I have put my name down for a new free one, but it will be a month or so before I get it.

The pix are from Diabettes Australia's Circle quarterly magazine.

TezNdY2.jpg

PC5FbqM.jpg

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/businesses-on-notice-as-mandatory-button-battery-laws-commence

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ascensia Australia have just started to advertise thier new Contour Next meter with a childproof battery cover. owing to the new battery button law that came into effect atthe begining of July 2022.

I have put my name down for a new free one, but it will be a month or so before I get it.

The pix are from Diabettes Australia's Circle quarterly magazine.

TezNdY2.jpg

PC5FbqM.jpg

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/businesses-on-notice-as-mandatory-button-battery-laws-commence

So does that mean that none of the other manufacturers can sell their meters in Australia until they are "button battery" safe too? Or maybe they are already?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So does that mean that none of the other manufacturers can sell their meters in Australia until they are "button battery" safe too? Or maybe they are already?
The way I read it every apploiance that needs a button battery has to have a child proof battery cover. So Accu-Chek and Abbott and the other meter makers will have to make them compliant to the new battery laws.

Like I said I noticed the advert in Diabetes Australia's magazine for the Contour, just having a flick through the magazine again and the only other adverts are the Libre 2 and Ypsomed items. So they might be holding back on them, that's a guess as I don't know

There's no information at the Diabetes Shop.

https://diabetesshop.com/collections/blood-glucose-monitors

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Now oddly, I’ve seen button battery devices with a screw or two holding the snap or slide fix cover in place for years..?
from memory, a remote for a heater. An alarm clock, an LED torch.
I’ve also seen it on the “AAA” battery devices too. I always reckoned it was an “afterthought” for a dodgy cover design..

Sourcing the correct battery, I’ve always found a pain with the buttons.. lol, make these devices rechargeable. ;)

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Now oddly, I’ve seen button battery devices with a screw or two holding the snap or slide fix cover in place for years..?
from memory, a remote for a heater. An alarm clock, an LED torch.
I’ve also seen it on the “AAA” battery devices too. I always reckoned it was an “afterthought” for a dodgy cover design..

Sourcing the correct battery, I’ve always found a pain with the buttons.. lol, make these devices rechargeable. ;)

Am just thinking that the child safe devices are usually only openable by a resourceful 5 year old, (way too hard for me), and maybe too hard for some older diabetics with neuropathic or arthritic fingers...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am just thinking that the child safe devices are usually only openable by a resourceful 5 year old, (way too hard for me), and maybe too hard for some older diabetics with neuropathic or arthritic fingers...

Pretty resourceful to neck the tripple As on this puppy..

009EA075-4E7B-47E0-9206-DDB2C6C7A79E.jpeg

Reactions: EllieM

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sourcing the correct battery, I’ve always found a pain with the buttons.. lol, make these devices rechargeable.
The two main sizes here that I use are 2032 and 1632, and are available in a wide range of stores, computer stores, pharmacys, servo's etc. at a reasonable price.

I have never seen rechargable ones, it's probaly not worth the effort or cost for the amount of time they last.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The two main sizes here that I use are 2032 and 1632, and are available in a wide range of stores, computer stores, pharmacys, servo's etc. at a reasonable price.

I have never seen rechargable ones, it's probaly not worth the effort or cost for the amount of time they last.

Hi,

Yep, a thin selection tends to hang on a rack behind the service counter in my part of the world?

I was thinking “rechargeable” more along the lines of a mobile phone or even my smart watch..?

Now I do have a woolly hat with a built in quite powerful slim LED head torch? (On offer at my local garage.) From the dog walking days. That recharges via USB. Lasts for weeks. (Like below?) But I appreciate it’s probably all down to the devices power management..

C66F0340-12BE-4173-8167-AC8D9BF53C5B.jpeg