out of control sugar levels

Niamh1

I always have horrible sugar levels every time I start my monthly it's so difficult it's emotionally difficult does anyone else experience this any advise will be great

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have a rough time with mine too - hormones!! I’ve read that some women increase their basal, best to chat to your diabetes team first, but I find that tricky as I’m perimenopausal and on Tresiba as my basal so it’s a little less flexible. I try to eat less carbs the week before and have to increase my bolus - I’ve worked out a ‘hormonal’ bolus ratio which mostly works but I still spike regardless so have come to accept it is what it is. Very frustrating though isn’t it. My diabetes nurse said it’s very common, hormones can be super tricky x

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I am at the opposite side of the scale & have found being menopausal sucks. I use omnipod dash but changed to this about 18 moths ago, which was a coincidence to turning full blown menopausal. The good news is I got HRT which has helped a bit with fluctuations. Not as much as I would have loved but still better than before. x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a reason why The Great Doctor Bernstein suggests all women go on the pill - even a low carb diet can't cope with their hormones

Lrlp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Mine also goes out of control. But mine goes higher the week before that time of the month, and when I'm actually on time of the month I need way less insulin than normal. Its so strange because apparently most women have higher sugars while on time of the month. I was on the pill for 11 years but I finally came off it about 6 months ago because I was reading more and more about it. Also, when I was on the pill I had to have more and more insulin as time went by. I heard that it cam cause insulin resistance....anybody know if that's true?