Devastated at diagnosis

CDLC

Hello, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes this morning following some blood tests.

My hb1ac is 48. I feel like my life is going to be so much more restricted now.

I’m vegetarian and am going to have to completely overhaul my diet to reduce carbohydrates - which is going to be difficult for me because I love carbohydrates. I’m going on holiday soon and I’m going to be scared to eat anything in case it raises my blood sugar levels.

I’m not sure what I am hoping for posting on here - perhaps some reassurance that you get over the shock and it gets a bit easier?

Reactions: Livosuction

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @CDLC and welcome to the forums.

Three things
1) Do you know what type of diabetes you have?
2) 48 is at the very bottom end of the diabetic scale so if you have T2 then you may not have to do that much to reduce your levels to normal.
3) There are plenty of vegetarians on these forums.

Good luck, and once again, welcome.

CDLC

Thanks for your replies. To answer the question - I’m not sure if it is type 1 or 2. I have a significant family history of both type 1 and type 2.

the doctor said it was probably type 2 but that there is no way to know.

I have a meeting with the diabetic nurse next week.

thanks again.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. To answer the question - I’m not sure if it is type 1 or 2. I have a significant family history of both type 1 and type 2.

the doctor said it was probably type 2 but that there is no way to know.

I have a meeting with the diabetic nurse next week.

thanks again.

The line I've highlighted surprises me.
I'm type 2, there apparently was never a question of me being type 1. Or was there? Surely there is a way to know.

Not being awkward here, I genuinely don't know the answer.
Does anyone?
It's important for you because, as far as I know, there is a big difference in the way T1 and T2 are managed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2, there apparently was never a question of me being type 1. Or was there? Surely there is a way to know.

Not being awkward here, I genuinely don't know the answer.
Does anyone?
If type 1 is suspected then there would usually be additional tests done for GAD antibodies and C-peptide.

I would imagine that it’s fairly rare to have type 1 diagnosed with an A1C of 48 as usually blood sugars have risen far more steeply, triggering symptoms that require medical attention.

I’ll tag @Dr Snoddy for some low carb vegetarian input.

And welcome @CDLC

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi CDLC and welcome to the forum. I can appreciate how this diagnosis must have come as a shock but I can assure you that things will get better. You are only just into the diabetic category and being a vegetarian should not stop you getting your blood glucose back to normal levels very quickly. It would be helpful to know what you eat and drink in a typical day and also where you are going on holiday. You've got this!

CDLC

Hi Dr Snoddy.

So a typical day is generally: fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, today I’ve had quorn mince with tomato pasta sauce and about ten tubes of pasta. Then for dinner I’m going to have some halloumi cheese.

thanks Rachox, goonergal and everyone for your replies.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
May I tell you that happiness is not in food? Yes, your diet will change, but your life will not become much more limited from this. Believe me, it's not so difficult to get used to a change of diet. I'm not a vegetarian, but there are many delicious low-carb dishes. From vegetarian, the first thing that comes to my mind is stew. Diabetes sounds scary, but in fact, life with it is not much different from life without it. Your family, friends, hobbies, pets (if you have any) are still with you. I hope everything will be fine with you

thatguy104

I got diagnosed in February and you couldn’t say your life is ‘normal’. However, I got over the fact very quickly and knew there was nothing i could do about it. It doesn’t stop me from doing anything in life at all except being a pilot as a day job and… drinking full fat coke. At first, finger pricking and getting used to ‘what if technology fails’ lessons don’t take much more than 2 minutes before a meal. 3 months later, i have a sensor which takes 2 seconds to scan. It has changed my life but no one would ever know anything about it and it doesn’t stop me from anything. Sometimes i forget i even have it. You will be shocked but give it a week or so and you will be a pro. Sorry about your diagnosis.

Derwent

Hello, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes this morning following some blood tests.

I’m vegetarian and am going to have to completely overhaul my diet to reduce carbohydrates - which is going to be difficult for me because I love carbohydrates. I’m going on holiday soon and I’m going to be scared to eat anything in case it raises my blood sugar levels.

I’m not sure what I am hoping for posting on here - perhaps some reassurance that you get over the shock and it gets a bit easier?

In Nov I too was told I tested hb1ac of 48. This was a shock to me, as I am not overweight (BMI just north of 22), I don't smoke or drink alcohol, I cycle regularly, eat pretty healthy, blah, blah, blah. Six month later it is 42, still high, but improved. So, don't panic. I understand that I'm not you and you are not me. But maybe there are a few lifestyle changes you could commit to which would help you bring your blood sugar down. For me it was: exercise every day (but just 20-30 minutes), completely cut out cookies and cake, sweet drinks and candy, move away from white rice, bread and potatoes to whole grains and sweet potatoes. I love white rice; I love bread; I love fries with ketcup; I have a real sweet tooth. But I hate being diabetic more so I did not find it too hard. Although I am humgry all the time ha ha.

Good luck.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Won't feel like it know but you've been very lucky to be picked up on the lowest rung of the diagnostic ladder.
Small changes should have you back in the normal zone soon.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m vegetarian and am going to have to completely overhaul my diet to reduce carbohydrates

Have you any wiggle room on your ethical decision to become vegetarian.
Reason I ask is that meat, seafood, eggs & cheese are your friend.
You're already behind the 8 ball in dietary choices, making things harder on yourself wouldn't be my first choice.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi again. Many folk on this forum have had great success with controlling their blood glucose levels by adopting a low carbohydrate high healthy fat eating plan. I decided to base every meal around protein sources e.g. Full fat dairy, eggs, quorn, tofu, seitan, pulses, nuts, seeds and sometimes tempeh although the carbohydrate content of tempeh does vary and needs to be checked. Personally I stay away from vegan 'meats' as I'm not keen on processed foods.
I would modify your day's eating to further reduce the carbohydrate and add in more vitamins and minerals. So yoghurt with berries or rhubarb topped with chopped nuts or carbohydrate - free granola. Quorn mince with extra garlic and herbs topped with grated cheese, no pasta, side salad. Fried halloumi with anything you fancy, mushrooms, spinach and an egg come to mind. That may seem to be a lot of food but the trick is reducing carbohydrate not counting calories.
About the holiday. Lots of research in advance about what may be available foodwise. Spirits and sugar-free mixers are better than wines and beers. I hope you have a lovely time and don't stress too much.

Last edited:

Jesste

Hi, I was newly diagnosed in February 22 with a mmol/mol of 60. I was very shocked but went on a fasting 16/8 regime and low carb. By 4th April 22 it had gone down to 49 mmol/mol. I'm due to be tested again in August so hopefully I will be out of thdiabetic range. If your level is 48 mmol/mol then you haven't got far to go. Don't panic, just concentrate on reducing your carbs and doing some fasting most days. I have lost weight, just over a stone so I'm well in the normal BMI range. I've never lost weight on conventional diets but fasting seems to do it for me. There is lots of information on the net about fasting and low carb. As for your holiday, stick to spirits and low cal mixers and cut out a meal and snacks. Have a good time and try not to worry.

piggely1

piggely1

Hello CDLC. I’ve been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (43) and am a vegetarian too. I’m a lover of carbs too and know that carbs chase carbs chase carbs until the end of time. Like you, I need to overhaul my diet and reduce carbs and I feel bewildered as to how to do this as a vegetarian. Could any more experienced members recommend a low-carb vegetarian program ir something that might help CDLC and me? It’s hard to know where to start to make positive changes. Thanks - feeling a bit at sea

piggely1

Hi Dr Snoddy.

So a typical day is generally: fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, today I’ve had quorn mince with tomato pasta sauce and about ten tubes of pasta. Then for dinner I’m going to have some halloumi cheese.

thanks Rachox, goonergal and everyone for your replies.

piggely1

Thank you Dr Snoddy - I’m starting to picture a day’s low-carb vegetarian eating. Do you go in for fill-fat yoghurt/cheese etc or the low-fat versions?