Type 1 New medical review driving license application

Echerontius

Hello, I have to return my driving license to DVLA to get a new medical review license which is renewable very 3 years, I understand. I have no reasons not to drive currently. My insurance company has been updated and they are fine. My question is, so long as I have been advised I am fit to drive and my insurance company are happy, can I still drive whilst my license is with DVLA being updated? I've seen conflicting views and advice.

Many thanks

Mike

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I believe you are aloud to drive for twelve months after you license expiry date whilst the DVLA are processing it unless you have been told by a medical professional not to .

Reactions: Echerontius

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The DVLA website explains this. Yes, you can drive for up to a year whilst your renewal is being processed as long as you meet the fitness regulations. My medical renewal is still going thru very slowly. I'm not sure what happens when it reaches the 1 year point. If you only have one medical condition then do renew online as it's much, much quicker than the paperwork route.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve been waiting over a year for my for my renewal licence to come back and I’m still driving. I spoke to DVLA earlier this week and it’s with there medical review board. They didn’t say I couldn’t drive.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How on earth did you manage to get to actually speak to DVLA!! Every time I've rung the medical renewal helpline it just tells you they're too busy and cuts you off. Is there a better number to ring? I've been waiting 7 months so far.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
How on earth did you manage to get to actually speak to DVLA!! Every time I've rung the medical renewal helpline it just tells you they're too busy and cuts you off. Is there a better number to ring? I've been waiting 7 months so far.
No I rang the usual number for DVLA and got through first time. I must of been very lucky!

Reactions: Hopeful34

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
When I rang the DVLA since my license has now expired and is with the review board they sent me a text to say I could drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act and sent me this link in a text if I ever get pulled over - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla

It clearly has that one of the conditions is

DVLA has received your correct and complete
application within the last 12 months.

I guess that was fine before the backlog got so that DVLA no longer issues licenses within 12 months....

As long as you've contacted the dvla and you gp agrees you can drive as I did for 18 months
emoji108.png
emoji106.png
Did they specifically tell you that you were still covered after 12 months?

Xinte

My licence has been with the DVLA over 6 months ago and it can get really inconvenient if you need to get a loan car or rent a car and you don't have a licence to show

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It clearly has that one of the conditions is

DVLA has received your correct and complete
application within the last 12 months.

I guess that was fine before the backlog got so that DVLA no longer issues licenses within 12 months....

Did they specifically tell you that you were still covered after 12 months?
I was pestering the dvla every few months with the same reply section 88

Reactions: EllieM

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did DVLA specifically tell you 18 months? Everything I've read says that Section 88 covers you for 12 months.
As I have already typed ....my calls to the dvla were answered with ....you're covered by by section 88