Recently diagnosed Prediabetic - So many questions!

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have recently been diagnosed as Prediabetic, and my doctor has recommended I take part in the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme, which I am doing.

Wow there is a lot of information to take in!

I am now in the process of making changes to my diet and exercise. But how do I know what effect any of it is having. I'm considering investing in FreeStyle Libre, and hooking it up to my mobile phone. I'm imagining that this will enable me to make changes and see what effect that is having. Am I being silly?

Roy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm considering investing in FreeStyle Libre, and hooking it up to my mobile phone. I'm imagining that this will enable me to make changes and see what effect that is having. Am I being silly?
No! That’s probably one of the best things you can do to understand the impacts of food and other things on your blood sugars.

There’s currently a 2 week free trial of the Libre in the UK: https://sample.freestyle.abbott/gb-en/freestylelibre.html

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Goomergal for responding so quickly. I am ultra busy at the moment and haven't had enough time to research the different offerings properly, but as Prediabetic I think I only need a Libra 1 - or are there any benfits to Libra 2?
I also note that there is a Dexcom monitior. Should I be investigating that too? Are there others?
Many thanks,
Roy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Goomergal for responding so quickly. I am ultra busy at the moment and haven't had enough time to research the different offerings properly, but as Prediabetic I think I only need a Libra 1 - or are there any benfits to Libra 2?
I also note that there is a Dexcom monitior. Should I be investigating that too? Are there others?
Many thanks,
Roy

Some people find the Libre 2 more accurately reflects their finger pricks, but as they’re the same price there’s no benefit to sticking with the 1. Dexcom is far more expensive and in my view a bit OTT for someone not using insulin.

There’s also the Gluco RX Aidex but it’s at an early stage and doesn’t get great reviews.

In your shoes I’d take the 2 week free trial, learn what I could and then decide about the longer term. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope I am wrong but I think the Libre free trial is only for people diagnosed with full blown diabetes.

Reactions: Omar51

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth noting the Libre costs £50 for 2 weeks.
Cheaper, but more hassle is simple finger pricking , £10 or so for the unit and £10 or so for 50 strips, enough for a week to begin with. You'll need fewer as time goes on.
@Rachox tagged for list of monitors please
And @RxB don't be surprised if your course tells you not to check your levels. They (the nhs) is just afraid of picking up the bill, but you are right it is worth doing while you learn.

Reactions: EllieM

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @MrsA2

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips, and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check out you may get money off, I’m not sure if this code is still valid.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively. Again I’m not sure if these codes are still valid.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO THE SPIRIT HC METERS ARE NOT WORKING FOR ME (I hope you have better luck) YOU COULD ALWAYS RING ON THE NUMBER BELOW INSTEAD.

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
It's worth noting the Libre costs £50 for 2 weeks.
Cheaper, but more hassle is simple finger pricking , £10 or so for the unit and £10 or so for 50 strips, enough for a week to begin with. You'll need fewer as time goes on.
@Rachox tagged for list of monitors please
And @RxB don't be surprised if your course tells you not to check your levels. They (the nhs) is just afraid of picking up the bill, but you are right it is worth doing while you learn.

Yes - The Libra is very expensive - I wonder why. I have no idea how they work - does it have a battery? Are they just thrown away after use? Obviously need to do some more reading!

I do not want to get into finger pricking - except for calibration I expect. I want to get a graph of the whole day rather than single points.

Yes - they have told me it isn't necessary and measurements can be missleading if people only take occasional finger prick readings. My HbA1c was 47 - so I believe I'm at the high end of the scale for Prediabetes. I want to make sure the changes that I make are going in the right direction. I do not want to get to the end of the course and find it's worse. I'm an ex engineer - so make a change, test, adjust, repeat is what I'm hoping - we shall see.

Many thanks for your help,
Roy

Reactions: Tolan

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag @MrsA2

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.
------- clip -------
Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Thank you Rachox - that's very useful information.

Roy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an ex engineer - so make a change, test, adjust, repeat is what I'm hoping - we shall see.
You'll have fun with diabetes then! Blood glucose and the underlying insulin seem to change according to a variety of factors, of which food is the major one, but there's also:
Sleep or lack of it
Exercise, intensity and duration
Heat
Stress
Other Hormones...the list goes on.

At 47 you've got time to study and research. Welcome to the club :)

Reactions: Tolan

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
You'll have fun with diabetes then! Blood glucose and the underlying insulin seem to change according to a variety of factors, of which food is the major one, but there's also:
Sleep or lack of it
Exercise, intensity and duration
Heat
Stress
Other Hormones...the list goes on.

At 47 you've got time to study and research. Welcome to the club :)

RxB

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
"You'll have fun with diabetes then! "

MrsA2 - Ha haa... Yes indeed - I fully realise this is not going to be easy! So many variables.
Bodies are complicated things!

Thanks for your help,
Roy

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope I am wrong but I think the Libre free trial is only for people diagnosed with full blown diabetes.

I think you are right, I am pre for long time and I don’t use or need Libre, unnecessary expense!

D

Deleted member 543160

"You'll have fun with diabetes then! "

MrsA2 - Ha haa... Yes indeed - I fully realise this is not going to be easy! So many variables.
Bodies are complicated things
Roy
I think you'll find that non diabetic glucose levels can and will also be affected by many similar issues. The main difference IMO is for us T2s our glucose control now being somewhat wonky it no longer copes so well - the most common issue probably being our inability to handle high carbohydrate levels.

IMO finger pricking is important but being a record taken at a single point in time can't give an overall picture, but using a sensor (even for a short time) gives you much more information about what is actually going on 24/7, which I found quite enlightening even after thinking I had gained a fair idea of how my glucose was behaving.