Lipids question - alarming test results?

DevGuy

Hi All,

I practice ADF and Low Carb.

Should this latest report get alarm bells ringing? (Latest HBA1C is 6.1, following a 6.0).

Fasting status: Fasting
Total Chol. * 6.9 (< 5.6) mmol/L
HDL Chol. 1.8 (> 1.0) mmol/L
LDL Chol. * 4.8 (< 2.5) mmol/L
Non-HDL Chol. * 5.1 (< 3.9) mmol/L

Triglyceride 0.6 (< 2.0) mmol/L
LDL/HDL Ratio 2.7
Chol/HDL Ratio 3.8
TG/HDL Ratio 0.3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope

Trig/HDL ratio (what is considered these days the be the most important) at 0.6/1.8 = 0.33
is absolutely excellent.

Well done you!

Edit to add anything sub 0.87 is brilliant!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe this is only considered to be "the most important" by a certain proportion of the nutrition/health field, and is not the prevailing view/position. Not that the prevailing view is necessarily correct, but I'd urge @DevGuy to look into all sides of this topic before making any decisions.

Fortunately, it seems one doesn't have to go all-in on either 'black' or 'red', as for most, it seems quite possible to achieve numbers within given/expected ranges regardless of diet choice.

The "prevailing" view is that "high LDL" requires treatment with statins.
There appears to be little to no evidence that "high LDL' per se leads to more CVD or death.
That LDL is usually only calculated and is not a figure that is included in any of the heart health risk assessments is quite telling.
Oddly enough LDL is impacted by statin treatment.. however it seems to not make people live much longer if at all and as with all drugs there are some quite unpleasant side effects.

Many of us have decided that the "prevailing view" is incorrect as is the prevailing view that T2 diabetes should be treated with a diet high in carbohydrate. You are an example of the latter but seem unwilling to share your success.

Reactions: DevGuy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already said you can believe what you want, and I added the caveat that I wasn't even suggesting the prevailing view is correct. So not sure how any of this is relevant to my original point, which is you shouldn't be inferring that the generally accepted view is what you have said it is.

Personally, I believe your post is tantamount to offering medical advice, which I don't think is condoned here.

I have suggested the OP investigate all opinions, including those that you believe. If they end up believing as you do, that's up to them. But they need to be able to make their own choices.

Here we can agree...
Good luck on your journey.
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 16.18.09.png

DevGuy

Hi All,

I practice ADF and Low Carb. Here are my latest results.
(Biggest change from last test: completed stopped coffee. There is considerable evidence that cafestol and kahweol in coffee elevates cholesterol in many people).

(Latest HBA1C is steady at 6.1)

Fasting status: Fasting
Total Chol. 5.0 (< 5.6) mmol/L
HDL Chol. 1.7 (> 1.0) mmol/L
LDL Chol. 3.0* (< 2.5) mmol/L
Non-HDL Chol. 3.3 (< 3.9) mmol/L
Triglyceride 0.6 (< 2.0) mmol/L
LDL/HDL Ratio 1.8
Chol/HDL Ratio 2.9
TG/HDL Ratio 0.35