Is gluten free diet good for diabetes?

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More than 12 yrs ago I was diagnosed pre and my dietitian told me that I am coeliac (w/o running any test) I started a gluten-free diet and I lost 65-70 lbs.
I still have not been tested for coeliac disease. I don’t think I am coeliac, but I like a gluten-free diet and I think that is good for my BG too.
I think with a gluten-free diet I controlled my BG too.There are a lot of health benefits of a gluten-free diet.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
More than 12 yrs ago I was diagnosed pre and my dietitian told me that I am coeliac (w/o running any test) I started a gluten-free diet and I lost 65-70 lbs.
I still have not been tested for coeliac disease. I don’t think I am coeliac, but I like a gluten-free diet and I think that is good for my BG too.
I think with a gluten-free diet I controlled my BG too.There are a lot of health benefits of a gluten-free diet.
I agree that you seemed to have benefitted from this approach but its hard to unpick why. You are now not eating lots of carbs from bread and pasta perhaps? And likely less processed food as a result unless you go for the rather sugary/starchy and expensive stuff in the Free From ranges?. Keeping inflammation low by not eating stuff that can damage the lining of your gut should help prevent lots of chronic inflammation too. Do you think its the gluten or the carb that was causing issues?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Perhaps your dramatic weight loss took you from being prediabetic back to normal levels? It would have taken quite an energy deficit to achieve this and in the meantime you have altered your eating habits.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you seemed to have benefitted from this approach but its hard to unpick why. You are now not eating lots of carbs from bread and pasta perhaps? And likely less processed food as a result unless you go for the rather sugary/starchy and expensive stuff in the Free From ranges?. Keeping inflammation low by not eating stuff that can damage the lining of your gut should help prevent lots of chronic inflammation too. Do you think its the gluten or the carb that was causing issues?

For last 12 years I am pre and I don’t take medicine. I don’t use sugar at all, no can food. All fresh and very little carbs. I was to drinking lot of beer, now for more than 12 years no beer, quit smoking too. I think I am better of being gluten-free. Thanks for the reply..

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations @Omar51 you have found a diet and way of life that works for you
just curious why you think that the gluten free part of your diet is the main reason for your good health.
I would have thought that the no alcohol or smoking, the low carb and no sugar, the no processed meals all freshly prepared real food, has been equally important.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @Omar51 you have found a diet and way of life that works for you
just curious why you think that the gluten free part of your diet is the main reason for your good health.
I would have thought that the no alcohol or smoking, the low carb and no sugar, the no processed meals all freshly prepared real food, has been equally important.

@catinahat Wheat,rye,barley are probably the main one.
If you Google you can find lot more items with gluten. My metabolism got far better with gluten-free food. I do lot of testing for BG and record of every thing I eat.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'm not sure that being gluten free is the issue, rather than being free of the heavy carb foods you were consuming that happened to contain gluten.

I too am gluten-free. My coeliac panel was inconsistent, but then I had been low carb for a long time beforehand, so by the fact I wasn't eating any bread or baked goods, beer or drinks containing barley as examples, meant I was gluten-light. My Aic was low 30s before going completely gluten-free and stayed pretty mcuh the same since. No material changes down or up.

To be frank, I think your success has been linked to eating better, easing on the drinking and giving up smoking, and sticking with it..

Whatever worked for you, I commend you, but I can't totally buy gluten being the sole key.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'm not sure that being gluten free is the issue, rather than being free of the heavy carb foods you were consuming that happened to contain gluten.

I too am gluten-free. My coeliac panel was inconsistent, but then I had been low carb for a long time beforehand, so by the fact I wasn't eating any bread or baked goods, beer or drinks containing barley as examples, meant I was gluten-light. My Aic was low 30s before going completely gluten-free and stayed pretty mcuh the same since. No material changes down or up.

To be frank, I think your success has been linked to eating better, easing on the drinking and giving up smoking, and sticking with it..

Whatever worked for you, I commend you, but I can't totally buy gluten being the sole key.

I think you are right, Gluten-free is not the only reason my weight and BG is in control, it’s lot other factors along with my lifestyle. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited: