Insulin swap only needing 1/4!

jireson

Really confused here...

I was on humalin I. Taking morning and night and regularly needing 120units a day as well as my oral meds.

Got fed up as numbers after meals were way too high spiking massively.

Have now been swapped to abasaglar and novorapid.

Starting at 80u of abaglaslar and novorapid as needed... Was having to inject up to 20/30u rapid a day initially.

Well 3 pens of abaglaslar in and I'm now down to 50 units of abaglaslar a day and 0 rapid.... Just had a home made curry and naan 126g carbs and BG peaked about 30mins after at around 10 and 1hr after heading back to 8 and further... Am actually having to have a nibble here and there...

Nothing has changed other than the types of insulin...

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is it just my body tricking me and isn't used to the new insulin yet?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really confused here...

I was on humalin I. Taking morning and night and regularly needing 120units a day as well as my oral meds.

Got fed up as numbers after meals were way too high spiking massively.

Have now been swapped to abasaglar and novorapid.

Starting at 80u of abaglaslar and novorapid as needed... Was having to inject up to 20/30u rapid a day initially.

Well 3 pens of abaglaslar in and I'm now down to 50 units of abaglaslar a day and 0 rapid.... Just had a home made curry and naan 126g carbs and BG peaked about 30mins after at around 10 and 1hr after heading back to 8 and further... Am actually having to have a nibble here and there...

Nothing has changed other than the types of insulin...

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is it just my body tricking me and isn't used to the new insulin yet?

Hi,

I’m not T2. But I do express higher insulin sensitivity with my basal in warmer weather. Which is pretty hot where I am in the UK right now..

What are you monitoring your BGs with? Meter or sensor, or both?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I once changed from Humalin to Levemir, huge drop in dose, can’t remember the numbers but it was about half, maybe they are made of different stuff? No idea but I suppose less is better right.

jireson

Hi,

I’m not T2. But I do express higher insulin sensitivity with my basal in warmer weather. Which is pretty hot where I am in the UK right now..

What are you monitoring your BGs with? Meter or sensor, or both?
Libre and meter

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG!!! I am injecting my Humalin like it’s water and it’s doing NOTHING for me. I’ll speak to DSN about trying another version of insulin.