Type 2 I am going on Ozempic

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All.

I am going off sitagliptin and going onto Ozempic if anyone has experience of being on or are on this medicine
please do tell me your experience. - All i know is its to be taken once a week and that its good for weight-loss.
hopefully it can help with bringing my blood sugar down so feel better and get active again.

i will be starting Monday. so i will see how this medicine works, I am hoping it does work for me because Gliclizide isn't no longer helping me.

I am getting my C-peptide checked again too.

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Recovery and Relaxation...
Hi All.

I am going off sitagliptin and going onto Ozempic if anyone has experience of being on or are on this medicine
please do tell me your experience. - All i know is its to be taken once a week and that its good for weight-loss.
hopefully it can help with bringing my blood sugar down so feel better and get active again.

i will be starting Monday. so i will see how this medicine works, I am hoping it does work for me because Gliclizide isn't no longer helping me.

I am getting my C-peptide checked again too.
What is your starter dose please?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve just come off Ozempic and I have to talk about what a wonder drug it is.
I started off on the 0.25mg dose and was expecting Metformin symptoms like nausea and Diarrhoea but I was extremely lucky that I only got a slight nausea. I did on some days get heartburn but a little bit of Gaviscon stopped it. I moved up to the 0.5 MG dosage and didn’t experience any problems. And then finally moved up to the 1MG and didn’t experience any problems. The only issue that I had was remembering to take it because you only take it once a week so set an alarm that will remind you when to take it. I lost 9 kg on it but since coming back to insulin I’ve put the weight back on. So it’s extremely good for weight loss and my blood sugar control was excellent. I stopped taking insulin and was only on a low dose of Metformin for its cardiovascular benefits.
There has been issues with awesome pics been linked to issues so please make sure that you always go for your eye tests and wear sunglasses.
I’ve unfortunately had to come off as I would like to try for a baby and you need to be off it for six months before trying.
Good luck!

Reactions: Hezzal

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I’ve just come off Ozempic and I have to talk about what a wonder drug it is.
I started off on the 0.25mg dose and was expecting Metformin symptoms like nausea and Diarrhoea but I was extremely lucky that I only got a slight nausea. I did on some days get heartburn but a little bit of Gaviscon stopped it. I moved up to the 0.5 MG dosage and didn’t experience any problems. And then finally moved up to the 1MG and didn’t experience any problems. The only issue that I had was remembering to take it because you only take it once a week so set an alarm that will remind you when to take it. I lost 9 kg on it but since coming back to insulin I’ve put the weight back on. So it’s extremely good for weight loss and my blood sugar control was excellent. I stopped taking insulin and was only on a low dose of Metformin for its cardiovascular benefits.
There has been issues with awesome pics been linked to issues so please make sure that you always go for your eye tests and wear sunglasses.
I’ve unfortunately had to come off as I would like to try for a baby and you need to be off it for six months before trying.
Good luck!

I appreciate your message.
i am hoping my endo put me on this medicine knowing that i have no retinopathy problems.= also what do you mean by "There has been issues with awesome pics been linked to issues so please make sure that you always go for your eye tests and wear sunglasses"
and also i never knew it can effect your chances of having a baby?>

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies Auto correct and dyslexia.Ozempic has been known to cause issues with diabetic eyes.
Ozempic has never been clinical tested on pregnant women so it can not be presumed safe.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies Auto correct and dyslexia.Ozempic has been known to cause issues with diabetic eyes.
Ozempic has never been clinical tested on pregnant women so it can not be presumed safe.

I've never had any problems with my eyes. i really hope i don't get problems due to Ozempic

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had any problems with my eyes. i really hope i don't get problems due to Ozempic

The best thing to do is to go to Specsavers and pay £10 extra for the back of eye scan.
Do this six months after your diabetic eye screening. This will ensure that your eyes are being checked every six months.

Reactions: KimWheeler

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best thing to do is to go to Specsavers and pay £10 extra for the back of eye scan.
Do this six months after your diabetic eye screening. This will ensure that your eyes are being checked every six months.

I get my eyes checked every year. and not had any problems. & Thats a good idea. ppl are telling me that my digestion will slow down and i will feel nauseous and bloating ect.. honestly if it is making me feel worse i will stop it asap. i am already trying low carb and IF but unfortunately haven't had any luck

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
O it slows down your digestion so please get some laxative but it will take a good 6weeks to three months to settle in your system but the results are worth it.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O it slows down your digestion so please get some laxative but it will take a good 6weeks to three months to settle in your system but the results are worth it.
I geuss if it does help bring my levels down - i can take the risk.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a thread currently active in the forum where an Ozempic user is reporting that they had a DKA event shortly after starting Ozempic. I have checked the user guide, and it does seem to induce symptoms similar to DKA in some people and there is a case study report where DKA was confirmed but Ozempic was not the only medication involved.

Make sure you understand the symptoms of DKA just in case. Investing in some urine test strips for ketones might be advisable. The reported bgl level that was reported was just above 10mmol/l which is the euglycemic version of DKA and is unusual.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a thread currently active in the forum where an Ozempic user is reporting that they had a DKA event shortly after starting Ozempic. I have checked the user guide, and it does seem to induce symptoms similar to DKA in some people and there is a case study report where DKA was confirmed but Ozempic was not the only medication involved.

Make sure you understand the symptoms of DKA just in case. Investing in some urine test strips for ketones might be advisable. The reported bgl level that was reported was just above 10mmol/l which is the euglycemic version of DKA and is unusual.

Oh dear can you post a link to that forum thanks. - the insulin wasn't working for me and my endo wanted me to try and see if this would work.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If insulin is not working for you then that may just be severe insulin resistance. Low insulin output would show more akin to the normal DKA where both blood glucose and ketone levels are very high. If Ozempic reduces weight then that may help the IR problem.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If insulin is not working for you then that may just be severe insulin resistance. Low insulin output would show more akin to the normal DKA where both blood glucose and ketone levels are very high. If Ozempic reduces weight then that may help the IR problem.

I am 69kg so i don't need to lose to much weight- if indeed- ozempic is going to help with weight-loss. - surprisingly i did look up DKA and symptoms i do have nearly all the symptoms but my endo has checked me several times for the ketones and its been low whilst my sugars have been high?<

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw my endo today and they checked my blood glucose and it was 21. didn't check ketones - the endo knows i am T2 and apparently T2 dont go into DKA.
They do, and can also do this trick of the low bgl version of DKA with some medications. if the pancreas stops output of sufficient insulin, then the body switches to fat burning, hence the ketones and after a while the high level of ketones turns the blood acidic hence the term acidosis. We can and do run the risk of this. Your endo should have done a ketone check at that blood reading, Its only a simple urine check.

I was until recentluy on a different med that has been proven to cause DKA in T2D and my GP prescribed wee stix for me to check. I was getting lowish levels of ketones, but not worrysome levels so it was not a problem for me but I refused when he wanted to double the dose.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 69kg so i don't need to lose to much weight- if indeed- ozempic is going to help with weight-loss. - surprisingly i did look up DKA and symptoms i do have nearly all the symptoms but my endo has checked me several times for the ketones and its been low whilst my sugars have been high?<
Ozempic should not be prescribed if your BMI is less than 27 according to NHS guidelines.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ozempic should not be prescribed if your BMI is less than 27 according to NHS guidelines.

My BMI is 25 - I think its because nothing else is working. all my other meds which once did work for me are no longer working and ozempic is a drug i haven't tried yet- i am afraid if it will not work either. - i do have fatty liver but thats 4 years now. my kidney are functioning fine. - i don't know my medicine stopped being effective at bringing my levels down.