Please help me find a cold breakfast

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Full fat greek yoghurt with nuts and berries?
A sandwich made from low carb bread?
Cold meats and cheeses, and a tomato?
Avocado?
I usually have a couple of hard boiled eggs in the fridge, very easy to use in a breakfast as well.

What kind of breakfasts do you like?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alpro Plain yogurt with nuts, seeds & berries/homemade crustless quiche/ homemade low carb banana & walnut bread & peanut butter/ cold meat & raw spinach

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Any fish: Salmon, Pilchards, Kipper/pate, prawns with smashed nuts or poached or scrambled eggs.

My GoTo cold one is smashed almonds+zapped half apple+fat free cottage cheese+Linwoods mix. This normally gets my numbers back in control.

Reactions: filly

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Boiled eggs are cheap, easy and nutritious. You can boil up a dozen and then keep them in the fridge for the week ahead.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoked salmon and cream cheese?

Selection of cheese and deli meats?

Reactions: Geordie_P

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here in Canada I can get a 10%m.f. "Mediterranean" style yogurt. That's my goto for cold breakfast. Some berries or some nuts will finish that off. Most times I'm fasting until lunch though.

Reactions: Nodemus

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hello!

I miss cold breakfast’s I haven’t got a clue what I can eat as a low carb cold breakfast!

any suggestions?

DD
Scrambled egg and smoked salmon

• Winner
Reactions: Lainie71

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hello!

I miss cold breakfast’s I haven’t got a clue what I can eat as a low carb cold breakfast!

any suggestions?

DD
I don't think scrambled egg is a cold breakfast ? I do salads, hard boiled eggs, raw cabbage leaves, tomatoes olives, capers, cheeses, hams, black coffee. The smoked salmon is probably cold. Tinned fish...sardines on said cabbage leaves . strawberries or blueberries from the freezer plus cream..... yummy.

Diggler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Opera
Frozen raspberries allowed to defrost a bit, not completely, with full fat greek yoghurt or kefir or aerosol cream. I keep aerosol cream in the fridge as it keeps forever and I'm not organised enough to have fresh cream when I want it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Has anyone suggested making your own carb free granola? Recipes easily available on internet.
Most are relatively simple to make and the finished product can be kept in the fridge for months. Will make enough for about four weeks. Of course you can tart it up with berries if you like.
You will have to weigh the individual portion to start with, and find a small bowl to use, because it will appear insufficient. However this small portion ( I use 45g - the same as is recommended for cornflakes) is enough to keep me full until lunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frozen raspberries allowed to defrost a bit, not completely, with full fat greek yoghurt or kefir or aerosol cream. I keep aerosol cream in the fridge as it keeps forever and I'm not organised enough to have fresh cream when I want it.
Fresh cream is freezable - I put it in ice cube trays for individual portion for in my coffee

maharoof

I m 53 my breakfast nuts and beans some time avocados and boiled eggs
Lunch small potion of rice and more vegetables and salad
Good control my glucose level

cocobee.2017

Hello!

any suggestions?

DD
Yes! First make overnight chia pudding in fridge ie 1/4 cup chia seeds to 1 cup coconut milk, add vanilla essence to taste. For breakfast 1 weetbix, unsweetened Greek yogurt with 4 prunes on top to sweeten, chia pudding, milk just enough so weetbix not dry. Add a sprinkle of nuts if you want to & have a boiled egg, the more protein the better. This does not spike me & is also good for constipation!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For many years, I have been intrigued why we have to eat something different for breakfast.
When I was younger, I thought nothing.of having left over pizza when I got up. Or cornflakes before going to bed.
I appreciate neither of these are low carb. My point is, what cold low carb food do you eat other times of the day and why can you not have them for breakfast?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! First make overnight chia pudding in fridge ie 1/4 cup chia seeds to 1 cup coconut milk, add vanilla essence to taste. For breakfast 1 weetbix, unsweetened Greek yogurt with 4 prunes on top to sweeten, chia pudding, milk just enough so weetbix not dry. Add a sprinkle of nuts if you want to & have a boiled egg, the more protein the better. This does not spike me & is also good for constipation!
Be careful with the weetabix, they have quite a lot of carbs, as do the prunes.

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My go-to breakfast at the moment is Greek yoghurt (sometimes the low fat Skyr one), blueberries, a spoonful of mixed seeds and a teaspoon of milled chia seeds.

Reactions: Ledzeptt