Prediabetes Listerine mouthwash can raise BG ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The basic Listerine sold in the U.S. and probably sold elsewhere does not contain fluoride. But I’m sure there would be a version that does. All these brands have more expensive versions of the base product that they charge more for. Fluoride has been controversial since forever but I’ve never found the negative grumblings convincing. General Jack Ripper in “Dr. Strangelove” was not a fan of fluoride.

Listerine Total Care Mouthwash

Ingredients
[PR-017429], Aqua, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Zinc Chloride, Eucalyptol, Aroma, Sodium Saccharin, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Menthol, Sodium Fluoride =, Sodium Benzoate, Sucralose, Propylene Glycol, CI 16035, CI 42090, Contains Sodium Fluoride (220 ppm F)

Listerine Naturals Enamel Protect Mouthwash

Ingredients:
Ingredients Aqua Sorbitol Propylene Glycol Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Poloxamer 407 Sodium Saccharin Benzoic Acid Eucalyptol Sodium Benzoate Methyl Salicylate Thymol Sodium Fluoride Menthol Contains Sodium Fluoride (220 ppm F¯)

"Dr. Strangelove” was not a fan of fluoride."

His one saving grace in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omar51

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously you have done lots of good research and figured out your peaks. My sleeping pattern is very odd. My eating habits are odd too, I fast for 8-9 hrs and don’t miss meals, very very low carb and not sure when my BS peaks.
I am pre for about 12 years and don’t take meds. Regular testing and keeping records helps me a lot.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Listerine Total Care Mouthwash

Ingredients
[PR-017429], Aqua, Alcohol, Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic Acid, Zinc Chloride, Eucalyptol, Aroma, Sodium Saccharin, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Menthol, Sodium Fluoride =, Sodium Benzoate, Sucralose, Propylene Glycol, CI 16035, CI 42090, Contains Sodium Fluoride (220 ppm F)

Listerine Naturals Enamel Protect Mouthwash

Ingredients:
Ingredients Aqua Sorbitol Propylene Glycol Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Poloxamer 407 Sodium Saccharin Benzoic Acid Eucalyptol Sodium Benzoate Methyl Salicylate Thymol Sodium Fluoride Menthol Contains Sodium Fluoride (220 ppm F¯)

"Dr. Strangelove” was not a fan of fluoride."

His one saving grace in my opinion.

IIRC, Dr. Strangelove never offered an opinion on fluoride. He was too busy going on about the doomsday bomb. It was Gen. Jack Ripper, the guy who started World War III, who was obsessed with fluoridation. This was 1964 and fluoridation was still a big debate with some people in the U.S. Colonel Mandrake, visiting from the RAF, thought old Jack was just plain nuts. Reminds me, it’s time for my umpteenth viewing of that fine film.

Reactions: Omar51 and AloeSvea

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
IIRC, Dr. Strangelove never offered an opinion on fluoride. He was too busy going on about the doomsday bomb. It was Gen. Jack Ripper, the guy who started World War III, who was obsessed with fluoridation. This was 1964 and fluoridation was still a big debate with some people in the U.S. Colonel Mandrake, visiting from the RAF, thought old Jack was just plain nuts. Reminds me, it’s time for my umpteenth viewing of that fine film.
I merely replied to your quote if you wish to be misleading then that is your prerogative but don't expect a sensible answer.
Nothing you have posted negates the fact that fluoride can and does raise blood sugars.

And as it is a component of certain Listerine products it was pertinant to the OP.

Last edited:

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing you have posted negates the fact that fluoride can and does raise blood sugars.
And nothing you have posted shows that it is a fact and that any of us need to be concerned about it. I don’t see the value in debating the subject in any case.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And nothing you have posted shows that it is a fact and that any of us need to be concerned about it. I don’t see the value in debating the subject in any case.
So far you have just given your opinion nothing that as far as I can see that corroborates it.
I never intended to debate anything with you I was giving one possibility that could account for the rise the op was experiencing in BG when using Listerine you started the debate with your sarcastic comments so rest assured I will no longer be responding to any comments or posts you may make henceforth.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160817132107.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3657862/

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks to all members for exchanging views and info about Listerine vs BG. Instead of four times a day, now I use Listerine once only, cut down on little more carbs and my BG is within my expectations.

Reactions: EllieM