Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
nice thread but I do not think it is a diabetic related thing.

it is written in someones genes. So, it is a genetic thing ( I think)
Totally agree given that high blood sugars produce AGEs or Advanced Glycation End products that do cause the skin to look more wrinkled. Yet you can have great bone structure and face shape which helps as well as keeping glucose in range.
I am pretty sure we don't get told that we look older than our age too! If I am asked to guess I always underestimate by at least 5 years.
On the other hand we may be much more motivated to do health some anti ageinng things such as not smoking, exercising and eating healthily. This is what I chose to believe and how you move is as much of a give away as how wrinkly your face is too!

Reactions: EllieM

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
coming to your example of the twin.

Haha, yes, that's why I made a joke about the twin

you mean if one of them has t2 then we look if they age slower Tham his other non-diabetic sibling.

I have not heard such a theory about t2, but in general you are right, it would be good to take a group of identical twins (at least 100 pairs) and see if there is a difference in age changes between those who have t1 and those who do not have diabetes

hmmm if you say the other 100% will develop t2 (because of genetic) then how can not you tell that age is not a genetic thing?

I mean, there are no two identical twins, one of which would have t2, and the other would not have (I'm not 100% sure about t2, because I've never been particularly interested in t2), but in the case of t1, this happens.

as a matter of fact, I wonder if aging is a genetic thing or not

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
to be honest, I thought it was a myth that t1 themselves came up with and believe in it, but it turns out that there is also some scientific justification

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I’m always getting told I don’t look my age my daughter gets ID regular and she’s 35 , my mum went to hospital and got asked her date of birth 3 times and she’s 84 and was told I’m sure you’ve been told “you don’t look your age” , brother is same , I’m the only diabetic so I think it’s like the Levi advert all in the genes
Show off. Lol. Bless you.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whatever the case with looking younger, I think it’s possible that some people might live longer because they have Type 1 than they would if they had never gotten it. Type 1 encourages many people to take especially good care of their health which in turn could mean fewer serious health issues other than diabetes. This might apply to well-controlled Type 1s with minimal complications. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Reactions: michelle88

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what I chose to believe and how you move is as much of a give away as how wrinkly your face is too!

I haven’t seen too many spry 70 year-olds but when I see one moving around with great agility and speed, I am always extremely impressed. Inevitably I wonder how they have managed that. Can’t be accidental.

CantThinkOfAUsername

When I was 40 I was told by a woman that she thought that I was 26. Other people have commented that they could not believe my age and my postman regularly calls me young man which is not appropriate for a man around 50, me not him.

It's not diabetes that does this because diabetics tend to have low levels of antioxidants which promotes ageing. That is caused by high levels of LipoPolySaccharides from gram negative bacteria cell walls which enter the blood stream in the colon because of untreated pathogenic infections which is part of what causes T1 diabetes. It's this that causes the complications. The kidneys require large amounts of Glutathione to help protect them. Glutathione and antioxidants can cause a dramatic drop in blood glucose which can be very dangerous. Don't go supplementing with glutathione because it could kill you.

These pathogens also promote obesity and T2 diabetes.
BTW Inflammation has been linked to just about all human diseases and that is why obesity has so many health risks.

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How interesting! My hair has only a couple of bits of grey, and my brother and sister (both younger than I am) went grey a long time ago! People do say I look younger than I am (68), and I still dance in those shoes on the left! But my mum, who is 100 years old in October, also looks much younger than she is, and she has been fortunate enough not to have any chronic health problems (I have ME/CFS and clinical depression as well as Type 1), nor any cancer, heart problems etc. (I've had breast cancer twice), so I think I've probably inherited part of her strong constitution along with looking younger than she is, rather than any side effects of T1 diabetes!

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That is caused by high levels of LipoPolySaccharides from gram negative bacteria cell walls which enter the blood stream in the colon because of untreated pathogenic infections which is part of what causes T1 diabetes. It's this that causes the complications.
Wow! How interesting! I'm going to ask a very stupid question for a person who has diabetes for almost 20 years, but what causes diabetes? I know that autoimmune aggression, but what is the cause of autoimmune aggression? Is it only genetics? My knowledge is not enough to understand what you have written. Could you explain it to me in simple words?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow! How interesting! I'm going to ask a very stupid question for a person who has diabetes for almost 20 years, but what causes diabetes? I know that autoimmune aggression, but what is the cause of autoimmune aggression? Is it only genetics? My knowledge is not enough to understand what you have written. Could you explain it to me in simple words?
No-one knows what causes T1 (as in what causes the immune system to cause it), its still very much a mystery

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No-one knows what causes T1 (as in what causes the immune system to cause it), its still very much a mystery
what a pity! I thought for a second that scientists had already solved this secret. It would be great to know what broke down in us and why, wouldn't it? But we've only known for over 100 years that it's connected with the pancreas, so thanks to the scientists.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what a pity! I thought for a second that scientists had already solved this secret. It would be great to know what broke down in us and why, wouldn't it? But we've only known for over 100 years that it's connected with the pancreas, so thanks to the scientists.
If we knew the answer to that we would probably have a cure by now. All the drugs and technology are a great thing, but we are still very much in the dark on many big questions.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If we knew the answer to that we would probably have a cure by now. All the drugs and technology are a great thing, but we are still very much in the dark on many big questions.
it's still a huge progress in 100 years, right? A century ago we would all have died.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's still a huge progress in 100 years, right? A century ago we would all have died.
Huge progress in getting diabetics on insulin, no doubt. And even bigger progress happened when insulin was first discovered and produced after thousands of years of people dying.

But what’s interesting is that 50 years ago, many researchers thought a cure in 20-30 years could well happen. Now, they generally don’t make such optimistic predictions. Of course, it could happen tomorrow but the pace of progress is certainly slower than many hoped and expected.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Huge progress in getting diabetics on insulin, no doubt. And even bigger progress happened when insulin was first discovered and produced after thousands of years of people dying.

But what’s interesting is that 50 years ago, many researchers thought a cure in 20-30 years could well happen. Now, they generally don’t make such optimistic predictions. Of course, it could happen tomorrow but the pace of progress is certainly slower than many hoped and expected.
haha, we need another Frederick Banting an dilettante who will send all forecasts to hell:hilarious:

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They slow of progress u see is due to the great knowledge we have now
Now u have a cgm it is like driving a car
U act before things happen.
It is great tool peolle use insulin pump and closed loop.
These are massive progress but it is still nothing for us diabetics. We look for a cure and they look for like curing the symptoms e.g. like high blood glucose and lower it to normal range.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
I feel the bags I had under my eyes are retreating since being diagnosed. However I put this down to better hydration. Can't say my diet is much better. But I've always eaten in moderation since being an adult.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the progress is a glass half-empty or half-full kind of thing. But you raise an important question which is why aren’t they making faster progress on a cure? Keep in mind that stem cells, the big new hope, is also the key to curing some other autoimmune diseases. So there is a fair amount of funding for the research overall, although never enough. I can’t help thinking that some people are happier with the status quo than Type 1s usually are.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Keep in mind that stem cells, the big new hope, is also the key to curing some other autoimmune diseases.
stem cells o_O? Wouldn't our immune system kill them too, even if we could grow another pancreas?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I look older if anything, I’m incredibly good looking though so I figure than evens out my luck