Back in Hospital

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m now on my 10th day in hospital I had a severe attack of pancreatitis. It’s cleared up.
My triglycerides are 40.
My sugars are ranging from 6-17 so they stopped my Gliclazide and put me on insulin.
Humulin they have started me off on 8units 2x per day now they have upped it to 12units x2 per day.
They want me on a zero fat diet well as close as possible. And they are keeping me in until my diabetes shows good numbers.
The food they serve is high fat high carbs.
Also I can’t have carbs or fat what am I supposed to eat?
I need guidance once more any thing anyone can help me with diet .
My second visit to hospital in 8wks it’s devastating for my mental health.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Humans can't live on a zero fat diet - it is essential for life, so do take any such advice as evidence of a dangerous mindset.
I can't tell you what is safe - but unsafe, I am pretty sure of.
I do hope that you soon feel better and can get good advice from the HCPs looking after you.

Reactions: Nodemus

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have someone who can bring you in some hard boiled eggs? They keep quite well out of a fridge. Or olives or nuts? Might not fit their 0 fats but you need food (in my non medical opinion )
Have sent a hug, wish could send more.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m now on my 10th day in hospital I had a severe attack of pancreatitis. It’s cleared up.
My triglycerides are 40.
My sugars are ranging from 6-17 so they stopped my Gliclazide and put me on insulin.
Humulin they have started me off on 8units 2x per day now they have upped it to 12units x2 per day.
They want me on a zero fat diet well as close as possible. And they are keeping me in until my diabetes shows good numbers.
When I'm in hospital I eat the protein and leave the carbs. I have huge insulin resistance but I'm off insulin now. I still add weight from carbs but luckily I keep them low. So no weight gain since a bariatric operation over 3 years ago. I'm just out of hospital from a high risk back operation. Where I'm left swollen in the large incision area. Well the largest ive had in adulthood. It's hard to nurse it as it's difficult to see never mind look after so a great hospital locally is helping me weekly.
I've been fed fruit instead of chocolate from people sending their Well Wishes. Of which I'm mixing with yogart to fill me up quicker so lots is getting wasted but I'm still enjoying fresh fruit and protein in my yogarts. I'd have liked dark dark high percentage coco chocolate but I'm popping out for my small walk to pick up some today. Fat burning on 2 crutches is good when only one leg isn't too painful to rely on. It takes me a very long time with loads of sitting on walls or tree bark. So I expect to be out a while and hv taxi company on speed dial to get me home if I get stuck. So exercise is limited in hospital so I had fluctuating bgs mostly from medication and lack of exercise. Eating high carb or even medium carb meals does not help me, especially in hospital. Now. Now you are adding insulin it will only be after you settle your insulin level can you safely look at reducing it. Believe me I've been there. So listen to your care team and get settled so you can go home. You may not be too heavily insulin resistant! However they will know exactly on being discharged. Every test needed to discharge should hv been done. Hard work starts once your home. So keep safe and well for your new journey ahead. :)

valann

My triglycerides are 40.

Hi Nodemus, Pancreatitis OUCH! Sending lots of very gentle hugs ((((hugs))))
I can't offer an opinion on the meds sorry but would suggest (like others have) that you ask family or friends to bring you in some food. I have found on my hospital stays the staff are more than happy to put named items in the ward fridge, hubby always brings mine in zip sealed bags etc. Usually chicken, salad and anything I fancied or could have.
Keep your chin up and remember you are not alone. :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happens if you have no friends and family, or any near enough or able to help? The hospital has a duty of care, including suitable nourishment. Tell staff, doctor, consultant what is happening. Suitable food is part of your treatment. Can PALS help?

Reactions: Nodemus and valann

valann

What happens if you have no friends and family, or any near enough or able to help? The hospital has a duty of care, including suitable nourishment. Tell staff, doctor, consultant what is happening. Suitable food is part of your treatment. Can PALS help?
Good point lucylocket61!
Yes PALS may be able to help. I so remember the time when hospitals had their own kitchens and we were able to order through them, if we needed things not on the menu they would help us. Now everything delivered to be warmed, not much fresh stuff and no account of allergies etc..... Oh for the good old day.

Nodemus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I said to the doctor I can eat what they are serving me. He did say that’s the problem the NHS hasn’t caught up yet seriously? Oh I bent the needle when injecting my insulin tonight I’m such a numpty

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I said to the doctor I can eat what they are serving me. He did say that’s the problem the NHS hasn’t caught up yet seriously? Oh I bent the needle when injecting my insulin tonight I’m such a numpty
A friend of mine is starting high protein Christmas hampers. If she can do it then the NHS should find it a doddle.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s fine to discuss diet but keeping the focus on successfully treating the pancreatitis and all associated problems, however it’s done, would be my overriding concern. It’s a very serious illness and two hospital visits in eight weeks is not what you want. I hope the staff there have a good plan overall.