I can’t see a future

SarahPlum

Good morning.

I know I’m brand new here but I needed somewhere to write down what’s happening.

Im 36. I was diagnosed T2 when I was 32 with a hbA1c of 102.

I work in a safety critical role in a location where I work solo. My diabetes management has been diet and exercise and the following medication:

- 4 x metformin
- 2 x gliclazide
- 1 x Sitagliptin

None of it has worked. My hbA1c as of last week is 106. And I have recently found out via a colleague who has just been diagnosed with diabetes that if the new occupational health company that’s been employed finds out I’m on any of that, I will be banned from working in my current role.

My current role includes in it a guaranteed overtime rate over the year of £10,000.

If I am taking out of my current role, I will lose £10k a year. If that happens, I lose my house. I am the only income.

I’m trying desperately to get in to see the diabetic nurses at my GP but I work two jobs and I’m the full time carer for my disabled mum who has just also been diagnosed with cancer.

They GP receptionist refused to book a telephone consultation and also refused to make any notes on my file about WHY I can’t physically get in to see someone… until I sent a message on the medication request page saying I was desperate for help and I didn’t know what to do.

Because right now the only option I see in order to keep my job is stop all medication. But my bloods are 106 on the maximum of the meds I can take so what the hell will it go to when I stop them???

I’ve got a telephone app now thanks to my desperate messages plea, today at 1645 where I’m PRAYING nothing is happening at work so I can take the call.

I’ve posted in mental health because mine right now is rock bottom. Im panicked. Constantly. I cannot have this house taken from me. But I also can’t live with continually raising bloods.

(Common questions I’ve seen on other posts - here are my answers)
- yes I’ve been tested for LADA. It’s not that.
- yes I’ve been consistent with taking my medication
- I do exercise and
- I eat well, including limiting carbs but I will completely eliminate them now I’m coming off meds
- I know work can’t “sack” me because of disability laws, but they can remove me from my safety critical post into a non safety critical post but as a result will lose £10k because that’s how the Union set up our wages.

I’m sorry I needed to get that out. I’m not looking for sympathy or even advice. I’m just lost. I don’t see a way out of any of it.

Glen29

Hi Sarah, I’m a newbie to this site too.I am so sorry you have so much going in your life.I’m convinced that stress pushes numbers up and I’m sure there are other members who have more experience who will reply to you. Please report back on what the outcome of your telephone appointment is, I’d really like to know how you get on.

johneee

Hi, Sarah, sorry to hear this, there are folk with lots of knowledge on here and very supportive, I wish you all the best and a good outcome to the problem and I hope that call works out well

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I eat well, including limiting carbs but I will completely eliminate them now I’m coming off meds

Welcome to the forums.

Reducing carbs can make a big difference to some T2s, I guess it depends a bit on how many you are having now?

Do you have a glucometer so that you can see what your levels are doing?

I assume you are already getting all benefits that you are entitled to for looking after your mum?

Good luck with your appointment.

Reactions: Hopeful34

SarahPlum

Welcome to the forums.

Reducing carbs can make a big difference to some T2s, I guess it depends a bit on how many you are having now?

Do you have a glucometer so that you can see what your levels are doing?

I assume you are already getting all benefits that you are entitled to for looking after your mum?

Good luck with your appointment.

Hi and thanks.

I don’t eat that many carbs honestly.

I do have a machine yes. It’s always high.

I’m not entitled to carers benefits because of my wage.

Cheers

Reactions: Hopeful34

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not entitled to carers benefits because of my wage.

Cheers

Has your mother applied for attendance allowance, this is based on your mothers income not yours? I discovered this when my father died, he had been my mum’s carer. I thought Dad received the money but it was in fact my mother. This may help a little.
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Edit to add link

BravoKilo

Hi Sarah,

Sorry to hear your news - you have a lot going on in your life & not surprising your feeling very low.

Best wishes for the appointment - I hope and pray that this gives you some help and wisdom.

(I am not a lawyer but would be surprised if T2 diabetes with medication alone could be used to force a job /role change - especially if there is no risk of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) ; a quick web search suggest both T1 & T2 people are working in critical care areas)

CMDG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning.

I know I’m brand new here but I needed somewhere to write down what’s happening.

Im 36. I was diagnosed T2 when I was 32 with a hbA1c of 102.

I work in a safety critical role in a location where I work solo. My diabetes management has been diet and exercise and the following medication:

- 4 x metformin
- 2 x gliclazide
- 1 x Sitagliptin

None of it has worked. My hbA1c as of last week is 106. And I have recently found out via a colleague who has just been diagnosed with diabetes that if the new occupational health company that’s been employed finds out I’m on any of that, I will be banned from working in my current role.

My current role includes in it a guaranteed overtime rate over the year of £10,000.

If I am taking out of my current role, I will lose £10k a year. If that happens, I lose my house. I am the only income.

I’m trying desperately to get in to see the diabetic nurses at my GP but I work two jobs and I’m the full time carer for my disabled mum who has just also been diagnosed with cancer.

They GP receptionist refused to book a telephone consultation and also refused to make any notes on my file about WHY I can’t physically get in to see someone… until I sent a message on the medication request page saying I was desperate for help and I didn’t know what to do.

Because right now the only option I see in order to keep my job is stop all medication. But my bloods are 106 on the maximum of the meds I can take so what the hell will it go to when I stop them???

I’ve got a telephone app now thanks to my desperate messages plea, today at 1645 where I’m PRAYING nothing is happening at work so I can take the call.

I’ve posted in mental health because mine right now is rock bottom. Im panicked. Constantly. I cannot have this house taken from me. But I also can’t live with continually raising bloods.

(Common questions I’ve seen on other posts - here are my answers)
- yes I’ve been tested for LADA. It’s not that.
- yes I’ve been consistent with taking my medication
- I do exercise and
- I eat well, including limiting carbs but I will completely eliminate them now I’m coming off meds
- I know work can’t “sack” me because of disability laws, but they can remove me from my safety critical post into a non safety critical post but as a result will lose £10k because that’s how the Union set up our wages.

I’m sorry I needed to get that out. I’m not looking for sympathy or even advice. I’m just lost. I don’t see a way out of any of it.

Hi Sarah - the GP Practice is not behaving well! Should a receptionist deny you an appointment? Definitely not!
It sounds as if you might be a candidate for the drug I've just been put on - a GPL - 1 a weekly injectable drug called Trulicity / dulaglutide. It can only be prescribed by Community Diabetes Services or Consultants. There are quite a few drugs in this category.

In the blurb I read that its a drug they put truck drivers as they loose their jobs if they go on insulin. Sounds as if there might be a parallel? It very much reads as if a referral upwards is in order for you. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

I gave a big sigh when I read your post. I assume youre in the UK? As I recognised a problem with my GP to the point when I felt my health safety was jeopardised. After the third reocurrence of the issue, I formally complained in a very polite letter. They managed to muck up their response to that too! If necessary change your GP, assuming there are alternatives. See NHS website

And yes! My head space was severely disturbed for quite a while so youre not alone. Posting really does help with the process of coping in a difficult situation when youre on your own. That other people have / have had the same problems and that there are solutions when all seems dark. Not easy to talk to people you know on such delicate matters so a forum comes in handy
I wish I could pass on my feelings of release on finding there was this GLP - 1 solution so you could know whats ahead!!There is a future!
Hoping it all works out for you!

Reactions: SarahPlum

SarahPlum

(I am not a lawyer but would be surprised if T2 diabetes with medication alone could be used to force a job /role change - especially if there is no risk of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) ;

Hia thanks for the message. It is indeed the risk of a hypo that’s the issue and gliclazide can causes hypos. I know for a fact if they say I need insulin, that’s me out of my role for a certain :(

Last edited:

SarahPlum

Hi Sarah - the GP Practice is not behaving well! Should a receptionist deny you an appointment? Definitely not!
It sounds as if you might be a candidate for the drug I've just been put on - a GPL - 1 a weekly injectable drug called Trulicity / dulaglutide. It can only be prescribed by Community Diabetes Services or Consultants. There are quite a few drugs in this category.

Thank you very much for GPL-1 suggestion - I will look into that immediately ahead of this afternoons appointment!!

And yep I’m U.K. - the receptionists seem so angry when you question them or ask for better!!

Thanks again :)

CMDG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for GPL-1 suggestion - I will look into that immediately ahead of this afternoons appointment!!

And yep I’m U.K. - the receptionists seem so angry when you question them or ask for better!!

Thanks again :)

Dont forget you need a referral to obtain a prescription. GP cant prescribe it.

SarahPlum

I would certainly encourage you to look at your carb intake and a bit of walking if you can manage, don’t give up hope !

Hi Brian - thanks. My carb intake is around the 60-70g a day range and I walk my dog 3 miles at least every day plus weighted workouts, and my job is constant up and down, walking along a lever frame and pulling levers.

I’d say I’m fairly active and I do look after my diet. I’ve been diabetic for 4 years and after the initial drop when I was put on all the meds, it’s increased every year by 20 points to where we are now.. 4 years on and back to 106.

I’m also not overweight.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My carb intake is around the 60-70g a day range and I walk my dog 3 miles at least every day plus weighted workouts,
I guess you could try going lower - as low as you can sustain - and see if that makes a difference, taking care as you’re on blood glucose lowering meds.

However if you’re low carb and all those meds aren’t helping there is the possibility of mis-diagnosis and perhaps you’re LADA after all and need insulin, which would then bring the numbers down pretty quickly. There’s a few on here with experience of that. I know you said you’d been tested, but if it was a while ago then your pancreas could now be producing less insulin.

I’d expect any sensible occupational health company to at least want to explore that possibility.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess you could try going lower - as low as you can sustain - and see if that makes a difference, taking care as you’re on blood glucose lowering meds.

However if you’re low carb and all those meds aren’t helping there is the possibility of mis-diagnosis and perhaps you’re LADA after all and need insulin, which would then bring the numbers down pretty quickly. There’s a few on here with experience of that. I know you said you’d been tested, but if it was a while ago then your pancreas could now be producing less insulin.

I’d expect any sensible occupational health company to at least want to explore that possibility.

Attendance allowance is paid to the person, not the carer, and it is not means tested. An occupational health worker suggested I apply, and sent someone to help with the form which was a great help. If your mother applies, tell her not to minimise, and to be honest about any falls, that seems to count for a lot, especially at night.
There are 2 levels, approx £350, a nd approx £390 a month.
Once you have got it the person can do what they want with it, and trust me it really isn’t means tested.
Margaret

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I echo all the advice about attendance allowance. If your mother gets it she can either pay you, or pay someone else to do some of what you do

I'd also recommend the brilliant Carers UK for advice, information and support. They have a forum as good as this one.

Stress does raise bg, so look at things to lower your levels, sharing the problem, mediation, yoga, eating healthy, there's loads you can try, and it's vital you do becuase as your realising if you fall, much else will fall around you so you need support.

I'd also suggest getting retested for Lada, and meanwhile consider soem form of time restricted eating just to see if that gives your body the short sharp shock it needs to reset itself. Perhaps try OMAD or a few short fasts?

Make sure the GP has you registered as a carer, and yes do complain

Hugs

SarahPlum

Hi everyone - here’s the update:

The nurse agreed in order to save my job, I can stop taking gliclazide.

She has suggested sticking with metformin and Sitagliptin, and would like to try me on a drug called Empagliflozin HOWEVER, I should have my enforced medical at work first and discuss whether work will accept me being on that before it’s actually prescribed.

That way, if the Dr says no - it won’t be an issue and she will see what else they will accept.

If the Dr says yes, I’ll go on that immediately and hope for the best.

In other news, I have ordered a bike through the cycle to work scheme so that will be another form of exercise to add to the walking and weight lifting.

And I’ve looked at where I can shave some more carbs off. Maybe I’ll just have one half of a protein bagel thin for breakfast instead of the whole bagel thin.

Anywho.. that’s it :)

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Dont forget you need a referral to obtain a prescription. GP cant prescribe it.
I’m in wales but my diabetic nurse in the gp practice was able to prescribe. Are rules different in England?