sleep or lack of it

sid1212

Hi people
i am now a confirmed type 2 diabetic and have to take 3 Metformin a day which are 500mg a piece
i have been taking these since monday and still feel rubbish
sleep seems to be a problem to,my feet and hands ache and i need to go toilet at least twice a nite
does anyone have any suggetions
si

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Sid, nearly three years ago, I was diagnosed, suffering from bad sleep apnoea, shattered all the time. Pains in my arms, legs and hands. Dying of thirst, getting up 3 times a night to use the loo. I was put on 3 x 500mg Metformin, which initially made me feel ill and played havoc with my digestive system. 3 years later, I have lost 4 stone, am off the meds, full of zest, walk for miles, cycle etc, HBA1C and BG's normal. I did this by sticking to sub 50grams per day low carb diet and increasing exercise as my energy levels restored!

Good luck and all the best - Steve

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Before and during the early stages of being diagnosed i too had pains in my hands, feet, hip and knees. Having been on a very low carb diet since September i have lost 2 1/2 stone and now have no pains anywhere. Also BGs in normal range most of the time.
I did fall off the wagon last week for 1 meal which caused a spike of 9.3 and next day my hands hurt again, first time for months so i put down all my previous pains to the fact that my BGs were too high. All back to normal now and pain free.
The only excercise i do is walk the dogs as i am very physically active in the work i do. As for not sleeping, well, you should try and look after an 80 year old 5 year old who regularly gets me up at night!!
Good luck.

Andy

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
I agree with above 2 posts. The first thing you should do Sid1212, is look at your diet. As most of us on here feel we get great benifit from a low carb diet, try it and see what your results are like.

BAZZA_P

This is exactly the problems i had when i was diagnosed with type 2 - Couldn't sleep, pains in joints, arms, legs, hands, getting up to wee 2-3 times in the night, dry mouth. A year on and i don't get any of this anymore. While i wouldn't say i low carb i don't have more than 50g of carbs per meal and no more than 140g carbs a day. Also any carbs i do have are quality ones like beans,basmati rice, apples and not the junk i used to eat all the time (no more pasties, pot noodle, snicker bar and packet of crisps every day at lunch for me!). i'm also on 2 metformin a day. Also i would say your body needs time to adjust to the meds so you will still feel a bit lousy until they start to take effect. From what i know the metformin needs time to build up.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Sid

Yep same as the other posters, cut your carbs and take the Met and very soon you'll feel loads better.

3 months since diagnosed I eat around 70g carbs / day, now have the same BG levels as the average non diabetic person, sleep all night, have woken up, can think again, lost 35lbs and am back in control of my life. A lot of people get reactions to Met because its telling them "don't eat that". You could try swapping to the SR (slow release) version as that might help a bit but the symptoms you list are high blood sugar symptoms and Met while it will help somewhat doesn't do a even a tenth of what a change of diet will do for you.