Stomach Fat Deposits...

ellecook79

Hi,

I am fairly new here.

I am quite a slim type 1 although I have put on a bit of weight recently which is good as I was a bit too thin.

I have however always tended to inject in my stomach as my thighs and arms were a bit thin.

I have built up fatty lumpy deposits across my tummy which look a little strange. I do move my injection sites around my stomach but have ended up with fatty deposits which are bigger on my left than right side and are starting to really bother me.

I am considering moving my injection site to my bottom as I had the same problem when injecting my thighs but also lost a lot of sensation in my thighs when knjecting there which worried me. This sensation has now returned.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has the same issues? If I move to my bottom will the lumps and bumps on my tummy eventually go?

I have been doing a lot of exercise recently which is building muscle and if anything has made my stomach look even stranger.... :(

Elle

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Elle,

You mustn't inject into fatty deposits as it seriously messes with the rate at which the insulin is absorbed.

Are you changing your needle with each injection? I used to think that that was a bit over the top but have been persuaded by my DN to do that; so I'd make sure you do it too. Needles are designed for one use only and so it makes sense really to follow their intended design.

Use your bum, your upper arms, your legs and rotate through all of them. Avoid your stomach for a few months until those fatty deposits go away. I hardly have any fat on my thighs, but that is fine for injecting. You'll find different areas will have slightly different absorption times for insulin so you may want to keep an eye on blood sugars if you do change.

It's not just the issue of looking unsightly; like I said it can really have a bad effect on your control.

Good luck with the low carbing; I think it is the best way of achieving good control for any diabetic, Type 1 or Type 2.

Best

Dillinger

ellecook79

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think my DN or consultant have looked at my injection sites for years and thinking about it now, I am having problems controlling my sugar levels - I can't seem to get the predictability that other people get.

I'll take your advice and go for bum and legs - bit scared about using my arms as it might hurt (wimp I know!) I guess I continued to use my tummy as I knew it wouldn't hurt. Stupid I know.

Hopefully moving sites will help with control as well as the bumps!

Elle :crazy:

Elc1112

Hi Elle,

I've had similar problems. My favoured injection site was always my stomach. I developed some fatty lumps, particularly on my right hand side. I stopped injecting there and they have gone down - still a little noticeable at times but not much.

I'm also quite slim so don't like injecting into my arms. My consultant told me to try injecting at a 45 degree angle and it had really helped. Also make sure you're using the smallest needles possible - talk to your DSN or GP.

With the lumps, I found that massaging them gently has helped to minimise them.

Hope this helps

Em

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Elle,

Hope you find the following information useful:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx ... 01&id=7261

I still have a small fatty lump in my stomach when I use to inject using glass syringes when first diagnosed, even though I have kept well away from that area ever since it is still visible but doesn't protrude as it once did. Lumps that fail to disperse and are unsightly/problematic can be removed by surgery but this would need to be done through your gp/diabetes consultant.

What I tend to do now is inject my BI into my buttocks and occasionally the thighs and my QA into my arms and stomach.

Cenynpedr

Not sure what needle length you're on - Might be worth asking DSN to check that the needle length suits you if you're getting fatty lumps.

also, do you body brush? if it works on cellulite, then it can only do some good for injection sites. My insulin requirements went creaping up a few years back, and I couldn't figure out why. Until I remembered that I used to body brush all my injeciton sites, and I'd stopped doing it. Increasing the blood flow to the skin should in theory improve absorption of insulin.