Gutted.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
philfatkid said:
Daibell said:
Hi. How old are you? Are you overweight? When were you diagnosed? What meds are you on currently? The questions are to see what sort of T2 pattern you fit. As 'the east man' says, what is your typical diet? I sympathise with your dilema as my next Hba1c will be over 7.0 despite everything but that's life with diabetes I'm afraid; we are all different.

I am 50years old, have been diabetic for 10 years, i was 16 stone 4 years ago i am now 13 stone, i have lost 7 pound since Christmas, my diet is good, typically porridge for breakfast, fruit at 11am, chicken or fish for dinner and a proper cooked meal for tea, my wife is very careful what she cooks because of my diabetes, like i said a good diet, no processed foods, regular exersise no booze since Jan 2nd. But still my blood sugars come back high, GUTTED !

Instead of porridge which is very high in carbs, try a protein breakfast based on eggs, fish or meat of any kind. Don't have fruit on an empty stomach - the fructose in it raises your bg very quickly and very high. A little fruit at the end of a protein/fat meal is a better way. Look at how much carb you are eating, that is where your answer lies. Try drinking dry white or red wine with your main meal, it makes a difference I find.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
philfatkid said:
didie said:
If you're eating food that is labelled 'low fat' it is probably full of sugar to improve the flavour.

No i'm pretty vigilant as to what i eat, it's second nature now to read food labels and like i said i very rarely eat processed food, by low fat i mean chicken, fish, lean meat, fruit etc, just a healthy diet really.

You emphasise fruit, this gives a clue. How much fruit are you eating? Be careful, fruit is pure carbohydrate and will raise your blood sugars every time. Try low carb fruits e.g. strawberries and most other berries. You can have double cream with them - it is only 1.6g of carb per 100g. Get away from sweet fruits - use a carb counting book, find out where the sugar is that you are eating in your diet and you will see a great improvement.

Your A1c is not very bad anyway, you just need to fine-tune.

philfatkid

catherinecherub said:
philfatkid said:
Just had my review, not had a drink since 2nd Jan, been more active than i have been for the last 2 years ( golf, badminton, 5 a side and walking ) my diet is the best it been for a good while, but my bloods came back 7.2% i'm gutted, when i told her i was suprised, she seemed to suggest i wasn't quite telling the truth, and that if i was doing everything i said, then my bloods should be fine, the nurse says i have to see the doc about changing my meds.
How can my bloods rise when i am doing everything we are told to do ? Like i said gutted !

Interesting that you are following the diet advice given? Who gave you the advice? There are examples on this forum for good and bad advice that has been given to Type2 diabetics by their HCP's.

Have you read the forum advice for newly diagnosed there may be something there that will help.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Don't hold your breath about getting the tests for GAD and c-peptide as they are not usually something that G.P.'s are interested in doing because of the cost.

With an HBA1c of 7.2, I would think you will need to tweak your diet.

Hi,
The original diet advice was given to me by my diabetic nurse, there was never any mention of cutting down on carbs, i saw my doctor on Mon he told me to try a low carb diet for a few months then he will review my results.
Phil

philfatkid

hanadr said:
philfatkid
If you are following the standard NHS low fat/high carb advice, 7.2% is brilliant!
That's because without loads of medication on that diet, it's pretty much as low as you can go.
If you browse the forum, you'll probably find that the folks with the lowest HbA1cs are those that control their carbs in some way. everything from portion control, via GI to Very Low carb is represented.they WORK, whilst low fat/ high carb, simply Doesn't't.
Why should it, when it cuts down on the one food group which DOES NOT raise blood glucose and advocates geting a high proportion of your nutrition from the group that affects it most? [the carb group]
Hana [very low carber not out of the 5% range for several years and working towards the 4%s]

Hi,
I think this is what my doctor said more or less, he suggested turning to a reduced carb diet for a few months, so here goes, fingers crossed.
Phil

Topsec

Wow - a doctor suggesting low carb - is it getting through to them at last!!??

Good luck Phil, I am sure you will see a difference :)