Life after the Newcastle Diet

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As I've posted on another related topic, I'm doing great on the Newcastle Diet to date:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25893&start=240

However; I want to start planning for my post 8 week diet, so I don't "undo" all my good work.

Anyone have a sensible, healthy eating plan that they would care to share with me?

Question for everyone - I take it there is no harm in going back onto this Newcastle Diet periodically; say once a year for 4 weeks just to "Dettox" the system again? I'm thinking perhaps of doing this every January so I start each year as I intend to go on.

Thinking ahead - thinking slim - thinking POSITIVE

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Presuming that your diet before the Newcastle was causing you weight gain then I would say you need to cut back on your calorie intake, it certainly works and helped me lose over 2 stone! :)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
My main problem was a sweet tooth - I just couldn't resist chocolate.

I'm aware of the obvious things to avoid, chocolate, junk food, too many carbs - I was just hoping there was a sensible eating plan out there that wasn't too patronising or boring.

I guess it's just a case of everything in moderation

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardbeg said:
I guess it's just a case of everything in moderation

Yes it is, just reducing portion sizes and perhaps only drinking on a weekend can all help in losing or maintaining weight.

I sought the advice of a dietitian who looked at my diet and recommended a few small changes, this together with increased exercise helped me to shift my excess weight.

youngmanfrank

In theory if post diet you eat only a "maintenance" amount of calories you should not regain any weight.
I bottomed out after 7 weeks of the diet back in November at 12 stone and remain at this weight today.I try and keep to 1800 calories a day but start eating sweets,biscuits and cakes and you will exceed this easily.

I don't see any harm in dieting again if your discipline slips.One theory I have read suggests that as hunter gatherers for hundreds of thousands of years our body got used to short periods of starvation as food sources varied with the seasons.Perhaps diabetics need this in order to restore insulin sensitivity.

Reactions: 2 people

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I like your logic.

I was actually thinking about doing the Newcastle Diet regularly - say every January; just for 4 or 5 weeks every year to dettox the system and keep the weight gain in check.

And to give my liver a rest from alcohol too. :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ard berg.
I actually tried a Slimfast approach and ended up GAINING weight and increasing Bg, which I didn't want to do, so I stopped and went back to my Bernstein approach.
For anyone who doesn't want to regain weight I'd suggest Bernstein or Atkins maintenance.
I DO have chocolate
A single strip of Belarom Hazelnut dark chocolate each evening.[bought from LIDL]
At first it was hard not to have more, but I'm used to it now and it's the best chocolate I've ever tasted.
Hana

Reactions: 4 people

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I actually LIKE the taste of these Asda shakes :shock: My only criticism is that they don't have many different flavours - only Strawberry, Latte or Chocolare.

I intend using them after the 8 weeks and simply reverting to 3 shakes plus one regular meal per day. To stop it getting boring, that one meal per day will vary between breakfast, dinner and lunch depending upon where I am and what we are doing.

If my weight starts creeping up, then I'm straight back onto a strict Newcastle diet regime for anything from 1 to 4 weeks

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Well today is my last day of ND.

I now weight 15 stone and my waist size has dropped to 36. I'm now so "slim" I can fit into my 24 year old sons clothes; whIch either makes me look a very young and trendy 50 year old or a pathetic middle age man going through his mid life crisis. :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celebrate the new you and flaunt that trendy gear :crazy:
CAROL

fuzzelogik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Negative people who will always knock something, regardless of the situation. Poverty, cruelty to anything and generally nasty people and events!
Congrats!

The hand gauge method is something that has always helped me when making my main evening meals.

The palm of your hand = protein
Size of your fist = carbs
Two hands cupped together = amount of veg you need to eat.

I always cook from fresh which stems from my days as a chef but I usually stick to lean meats and prefer Chicken over Mince. I also like smoked gammon with the fat cut off and grilled, sweet potatoes instead of white and a shed load of veg!

I did weight watchers a while ago and have adapted a few of their recipes to fit the desired calorie intake/sugar requirements.

Best of luck with everything!

tauranga

I saw a very sad thread from Geordie our hero of Newcastle fame. He was brilliant has maintained control but gained back a lot of weight.
Life and style are important. We can gain much needed impetuous from following the Newcastle. Clearing our minds and setting limits. I find that I need the stricture of VLCD but for life I chose L ow carb Moderate protein and high fat.
However after a protracted illness, we'll meaning doctors and family who aren't' on to it I have done little exercise, had much stress and been at the mercy of daughters fast food and husbands sandwiches for months.
My surgeon is not interested in my diabetes just wanted to get his bit done.
so now path to recovery is Newcastle for a week. Just to make that break, then clear cupboards and lchf back again.
I need that jolt. a GP I know believes in Newcastle for that purpose too but advocates but cannot recommend LCHF.

Lesson I shall take away -teach my family to shop and cook all natural local foods and use the crock pot more.

good luck everyone. but really look at Dietdoctor.com for lchf research. there are many shifts in diabetes guidelines now and low fat high carb is not one of them!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw a very sad thread from Geordie our hero of Newcastle fame. He was brilliant has maintained control but gained back a lot of weight.
Life and style are important. We can gain much needed impetuous from following the Newcastle. Clearing our minds and setting limits. I find that I need the stricture of VLCD but for life I chose L ow carb Moderate protein and high fat.
However after a protracted illness, we'll meaning doctors and family who aren't' on to it I have done little exercise, had much stress and been at the mercy of daughters fast food and husbands sandwiches for months.
My surgeon is not interested in my diabetes just wanted to get his bit done.
so now path to recovery is Newcastle for a week. Just to make that break, then clear cupboards and lchf back again.
I need that jolt. a GP I know believes in Newcastle for that purpose too but advocates but cannot recommend LCHF.

Lesson I shall take away -teach my family to shop and cook all natural local foods and use the crock pot more.

good luck everyone. but really look at Dietdoctor.com for lchf research. there are many shifts in diabetes guidelines now and low fat high carb is not one of them!
you may need to change Dr's or educate the one you have :)
From the @Southport GP who posts here

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

What a good sensible well written study Jack412 - thanks for the ref.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the word "allowed" when it came to dietary recommendations - I've never been one for rules! But good sound advice, comments and observations indeed.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I was diagnosed last January (2014) and have now lost 123 lbs with the Newcastle diet. I introduced other foods after about 6 months, and learned to run to get exercise. I have managed to maintain the weight loss, and allow a 3lb fluctuation. If it goes above 3lbs I have a couple of days when I eat less and exercise more, I go for common sense - calories in/calories out - and I don't eat rubbish. I allow myself some red wine at weekends and a glass of champagne at special occasions. I'm fine, mostly, though some days I have to be honest and say that it is really HARD! But, I tell myself:
- I like wearing my size 10 jeans (wore size 18/20 when I began)
- I like having so much more energy
- I like having low BS readings as I know this will keep me healthier for much longer
- I actually like exercise which surprises me
- I like the fact that I don't take blood pressure medication any more
- I like the fact that I have more willpower than I had ever believed possible
- I like there fact that everyone in our house now eats much healthier, fresh, unprocessed foods (most of the time).
I do not underestimate just how hard it is to lose weight and how much harder it can be to keep it off. It is a lifetime commitment. Good luck to all of you.

Reactions: 10 people