starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheers, again Borofergie. I am massively impressed with your eight mile runs - slow or not!! Really inspiring - thanks :)

I will definitely have to check out the park runs :thumbup:

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
well had a big chicken salad last night.handful of peanut m and ms, some choclate brazils. a couple of whisky and dry ginger drinks checked my bg 1 and 1/2 hours after.......4.4! couldnt believe it could be the fact id been playing rugby earlier etc but if thats how its going to go then bring it on really happy with those figures tbh.

Immis

Ok Guys time for the weekly weigh in...

The weight today is...92.7kg
thats down 2.4kg from last weeks 95.1kg
and the starting weight of 111.7kg

BGs have been fine, the highest being 4.9

I have 2 whole weeks to go and the diet is over, can't wait for the steak waiting at the end of the finishing line.

Ivenoidea

Well done Geordie, (and Immis)

It really is inspiring to hear the positive outcome's of the diet, and I hope that people from Newcastle university are aware of the success story's up to now. I recently posted saying that I was trying to get Optifast on prescription and have had the good news that my GP, who has said he will support me in any way he can, has prescribed it for me. I have had to jump through the hoops a little bit to get them through Lloyds pharmacy, (you have to order them online and then send the prescription off to them before they will be dispatched) the prescription has to be worded exactly for the shakes that you are ordering.

I am going for my blood test on Wednesday morning and hoping to have my shakes delivered by then so that I can start the diet afterwards, If all goes according to plan then I will post all my starting weight etc and give it a go alongside a big uptake in exercise which seems to be a big part in hopefully keeping it reversed.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Go for it ivenoidea
The benefits are great, although this week had my first plateau, stayed the same as last week. Not down heartened as I was expecting at some point, i'll have a canny loss next week as it wil just rekindle my enthusiasm if Im honest.

BG's have been good too, none over 6, but im dissappointed if there in the high fives lol makes a big change from a few months ago where id be happy in the high eights lol

Bit stressed at work at minute and I know that an have an adverse effect on things so need to remain positive and work through it.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Well today is my last day and I'm SO glad I went on this detox diet. I no longer take meds, I have far more energy, my weight has dropped by over 2 and a half stone and my BG has levelled out at between 4 and 5.

I will be keeping this low carb eating regime going, along with daily Asda shakes, but gradually reintroducIng meat, fish and fruit back into my diet.

Oh and of course alcohol......but in moderation. 8)

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fantastic weight loss and BG's Ardberg :clap: Fantastic result with the meds too. Enjoy having a drink!!

I have been officially off the diet for two weeks now - still shaking and eating my veg, but I have introduced some meat and fish - grilled kebabs, a mahoosive salad and yoghurt and mint dressing last night. I have lost another two pounds this week too.

bluehils

Hi.
Just had my first HB1aC result having completed ND 2 weeks ago.
The result was 45mmol/mol (6.2% in old money) so not too bad considering that I have not taken any meds since starting the diet.
Previous HB1ac was 56mmol/mol (7.3%) and that was on 3x500mg metformine.
Hoping to shift a little more visceral fat to get down to the non- diabetic range of 20-42mmol/mol.at the next test

By the way Ivenoidea I tried the Optifast from Llyods and found they were very expensive and contained virtually the same as the commerically available shakes. The soups were not as nice as the Celebrity slim ones and were difficult to mix without lumps. Also the calorie content of them were higher (210cals if I remember correctly)than the ones used in the Newcastle trial they used shakes with a content of about 170cals. If you use the Slimfast ones mixed with water instead of milk they come out at 142cals .

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Some cracking results out there peeps, had my first plateau this week but i'll work through it, still v positive and shaking for breakfast and lunch, and still finding it easy lol

Not as strict as i was but certainly not back to old habits just having a snack of nuts if i feel peckish, using a very small ramakin dish to put nuts in and it works out at a small but satisfying portion if i ate from the packet id eat the lot lol

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Had my first drink of alcohol in 8 weeks tonight.

I can honestly tell you folks; diabetes or no diabetes, there is no better drink than Ardbeg.

Accept nothing less. 8)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ardbeg said:
I can honestly tell you folks; diabetes or no diabetes, there is no better drink than Ardbeg.

Accept nothing less. 8)
Personally I would agree with you, but some whisky afficionados cannot stand peaty whisky and others live for it. So as for the "best" in matters of taste it is a personal thing.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
bit of a surprise last night peeps, went to gym had canny workout came home checked bg and it was 3.2!!!!! think thats as low as its ever been
Still cant have high carb stuff though spikes me so thats something to avoid had a bowl of fruit and fibre and a couple of ryvita and an hour after my bg was 8 which is as high as its been in three months so will cut those things out, mind before the diet it would have been in the teens if im honest.
Generally speaking my bgs range between 4.5 and 5.5 thats first thing in the morning and two hours after food so all is good, i go for my bloods on 28th then get my results on 6th April so will be interesting to see how much my HBa1c has dropped.

Immis

Thanks Geordie, its good to know these things, especially seeing as today is the start of the last week of my diet.

Can believe 7 weeks have passed already and very proud that I haven't faltered by even one drop or mouthful.

Roll on next fridays whiskey, (which will be my usual Gold Label, not Ardberg)

Ivenoidea

Hi Everyone,

Finally had my Optifast delivered on Friday so I am starting the diet first thing tomorrow morning (Monday 19th March).
I'm really looking forward to it actually.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Wish me luck!!!

Immis

Ok Guys, time for the weekly weigh in.

This is my second to last weigh in, my diet ends on friday...

So this weeks weight is 91.8kg
That's only a weight loss of just under a kilo from last week, my worst weight loss so far.

Oh well, only 5 days to go.

ps ivenoidea...good luck, it's totally worth it.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi all
Weigh day, only a pound off, weight loss has really slowed down but i expected it so need to keep going and itll keep coming off.

Anyone who is considering diet do it its really good to do and the results are excellent but expect a slow down at some point.

Ivenoidea

Hello everyone,

Well this is my first day on the Newcastle diet and apart from a few hunger pangs after lunchtime I haven't felt too hungry.

My good lady wife has made some mushroom soup (from the diet menu) and it was really nice.
I went for a hard walk after my dinner which is about 1.3 miles and I have got a doctor's referall at the local sports centre on Thursday to get a fitness routine going.

My vital statistics are, 14st 10lbs, bmi is 33 and my fasting blood sugar this morning was 7.6 so looking forward to seeing the changes.

I must admit that it really does feel very strange today as I am a bit of a picker at food especially when we all sat down for dinner, although I did have soup but it is the first time in a long time I didn't have any crusty bread and lots of butter.

Well onward and upwards and I'll keep posting and hopefully get to the end of the eight weeks and it will be a happy ending.