help plz

cat6736

hi my son has type 1 diabetes this morning his level was 9 he went to college he is doing public services and did sport when he got home his level was 24 although he had not eaten anything thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Cat, sounds like hes not controlling his diabetes, how is he with it? Has he excepted what he has? Only you would know. Maybe he is going through a rebellious stage with it, thinking he controls it and not the other way round. I'm sure he knows you worry and maybe remind him.
Off load all you like I'm sure he will be fine, and at some point soon he realise that he has to admit he needs to have better control.

cat6736

he is getting better but he does not understand why its gone from 9 to 24 with no food and he has been excercising ?

cat6736

also he takes his slow actin at 6pm and its always around 4 ish that is levels are high we are maybe thinking his slow acting is not lasting the 24 hours ?

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just read this on the BDEC site http://www.bdec-e-learning.com

Be careful when your diabetes is poorly controlled or your blood glucose is more than 13mmol/l. Exercise can raise your blood glucose level rather than lower it because you may not have enough insulin circulating in your body. Consider injecting an extra dose of fast acting insulin and always check for ketones. If ketones are present you need to avoid exercise until your blood sugars are below 13mmol/l.

Is it possible that this might have happened?
Others can advise you if it is, I'm a bit new to this myself, but it might offer an explanation for you to investigate.

Elc1112

As per the above post, my sugars sometimes rise if I exercise, particularly if my levels are a little higher than normal.

I was diagnosed age 7. My sugars were sometimes a little unpredictable as I was growing. My doctor said it can happen if experiencing a growth spurt.

Alternatively, he could be coming down with an infection. This will raise blood sugars.

How long has he been diabetic? If it was quite recently he could be coming out of the honeymoon period and his insulin requirements are increasing.

Finally, maybe he has had something to eat (perhaps something he shouldn't) and doesn't want to tell you? When I was that age I understood I had diabetes and that I had to keep my levels between x and y. I did struggle, however, to fully comprehend the importance of good control. When my friends would have biscuits or cakes it was hard to say no. You say his sugars are highest at 4, which would be just after school. Just a suggestion...

Anyway, hope you get things sorted soon.

Take care
Emma

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I suppose there are a few things that could have happened. He may have had a hypo but because he was so excited about the game his adrenalin kicked in and raised his bsl. He might have just got a dose of hormones and his bsl just kept going up or it could be some random excursion that you might see once in while. I suppose it would be interesting to know if you gave insulin for the high and then he plummeted into a hypo or if the rest of the day went on as usual. He could have been fairly dehydrated if he also didn't drink enough.