travel with pump question

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for the long explanation but it sets the scence!!

Just got back from my first trip abroad with Horace (the pump) was travelling by myself so slightly anxious. Horace is an accu chek combo. At Stansted did the right thing at security told the girl supervising the loading of the trays where you put your bags, she called it over to the staff the other side of the detector and i was told to walk through was expecting the alarm to sound but nothing happen, there was then a discussion and it was decided to swab the pump. Same at Dusseldorf where i had a connecting flight. On the return flying from Nurmeberg same thing no alarm, this time a shrug of the shoulders and told to go ahead no swabs taken! Now my dilema is to tell someone prior to going through the detector or wait and see if the alarm goes off? What do other people do?
:?:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

i don;t have a pump (yet :D)

but i just wanted to say i LOVE that you've named your pump horace...

hmm what can i name mine... (when i get one hehe)..

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
I work at the airport and am always going through security. I don't tell them. I walk through and it doesn't beep. Sometimes they don't notice it and I go straight through. When they do notice it, it's normally straight away and the call me over for a swab. They never make a big deal or tell me that I should tell them. Just go through and see what happens! X

daisynova

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I travel a lot and don't bother sayng anything to anyone now. If they stop me, I just tell them that it is insulin and that I can't take it off. Sometimes this is lost in translation but most security staff at airports don't seem to understand it especially in Asia where I am based.

In the UK I often get stopped for them to swab it but it's fine.

MarkP

Hi,

I always unclip it and put it in a side pocket to my hand luggage (usually a backpack) and put it through the scanner with wallet belt watch etc. I’ve never had them question it yet.

Most of the time I have a vial or two of insulin in my bag still sealed in the box, not in a little plastic bag, and they never question it.

Maundown

I have had a pump for ages and I travel a lot. I don't hide it but I don't declare it. I just walk thru. It does not cause the alarm to go. Occasionaly I get randomly stopped. I say am am diabetic and they often swab it. It is never an issue for me and I have never been asked to take it off (but no big deal if they do!)

Cheryl

I'm with maundown. I got body scanned at Manchester recently, it showed up on the scan, no problem, they're used to it. However, the previous time I went through Manchester, I didn't even get called for the secondary body-scan check, so it didn't show up on the initial metal detector check at all. it seems fairly random as to whether it sets the metal detector off. I don't bother telling anyone until the alarm goes off.

nasus

Hi Janrou

I travel regularly and often with my pump. I used to tell them in advance and get the variety of responses from swabbing to shrugging. Now I don't mention it and it nevr sets the alarm off or gets spotted. However if it does, I would just explain. When they see it is connected to your body, they realise it is a medical item even if language is a problem.
Also when I first got put on the pump, some years ago now, my diabetes nurse wrote a 'to whom it may concern' letter explaining I needed to carry insulin etc and was wearing a pump. I take this letter every time I go abroad but have never had to get it out once. Just peace of mind, though. Good luck

GlucoseKnight

I am not sure what to do travelling with a pump, the supplier of the pump advised me not to go through the body scanner in Manchester with it attached as it can damage the pump and people have complained that the staff at Manchester airport are arguing with people advising them they have to walk through the body scanner with the pump attached.

Has anyone had any problems at Manchester Airport?

Cheryl

How on earth could the body scanner damage the pump? That sounds like another case of over reacting to me.

I have been through the scanner at Manchester. I told the man operating the machine as I went in that I was wearing it, he just waved away my comment. My partner was watching from the other side of the controls & apparently it showed up as a red square on the hip of a generic person silhouette (they can't actually see your body on the monitor, it's all done by computer). I was then referred to a female search officer in the same way as if the normal metal detector went off. They swabbed it (they usually do if they notice it) & off I went.

The way the scanners work (in case you don't know) is that you walk into a glass walled chamber with 2 exit doors. It's like a game show, one door opens & you're free to go, the other door opens & you get a body scan. I assume that the first chamber has a metal detector or some other sort of scanner in it to decide if you get the second check. I've been through this system twice, the first time I got the free to go door, the second, the body scan door. I was wearing my pump both times.

I travel a fair few times a year & have never had a problem with the pump. (once in France I was asked if I was OK to go through the metal detector with it, but that was concern for me, not them having a problem with me not taking it off) In the unlikely event that they question you going through the scanner with your pump, just say that you can't take it off & ask to see a supervisor straight away.

I never mention it in advance as as often as not, it isn't picked up. If I can get away without drawing attention to myself, I will.

Don't fret, it's really no drama.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How on earth could the body scanner damage the pump? That sounds like another case of over reacting to me.

• You can continue to wear your insulin pump or continuous glucose monitor (CGM) only while going through common security systems such as an airport metal detector as it will not harm the device or trigger an alarm.

• Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative.

• Medtronic has conducted official testing on the effects of the new full body scanners at airports with Medtronic medical devices and have found that some scanners may include x-ray. If you choose to go through an airport body scanner, you must remove your insulin pump and CGM (sensor and transmitter). Do not send your devices through the x-ray machine as an alternative. To avoid removing your devices, you may request an alternative screening proces
From Medtronic site:
http://www.loop-blog.com/Blog_Full_Post ... 00Cdl09IAB

Cheryl

That doesn't say how an X-ray could possibly damage a pump, it doesn't say what tests were carried out or what damage may be caused. So I will continue to be sceptical about that one as an overly risk averse piece of information designed to do nothing more than cover their behinds. Feel free to ignore my opinion as it is only that, but I'm not about to change it based on that info.

Cheryl

Interestingly enough, the advice from Medtronic on the blog link above only appears on the US website, neither Medtronic, Roche (Accu Chek) nor Animas say anything about body scans on their UK sites. Could it be something to do with the ever present threat of litigation in the States?

smaynard

I travel very frequently with my young daughter who wears a pump and like others we never have a problem with going through security (although at Heathrow on the last 2 occasions they have been extremely thorough at cross referencing the letter we carry from the doctor for all the supplies).

However, a couple of months ago we did have a major problem with the pump itself....20 mins after takeoff I was delivering a bolus and the button jammed on and we experienced complete pump failure....interesting way to get an adrenalin rush! Fortunately we were only off to Austria so it was a short flight on this occasion. She uses a Medtronic pump and I must say they excelled themselves in their response....3 hours post landing I had a new pump in my hands which they delivered to the address where we were staying.

When I returned to the UK Medtronic also called to discuss the problem and informed me that they now offer holiday loan pumps should I want to take a spare for future trips. They sent me information about this service (you simply need to give them 3-4 weeks notice) and included in the information pack is a letter for security which clearly states the pump is not suitable for body scanners. To follow is a copy:

To whom it may concern,

This person is wearing a Medtronic insulin pump which is a doctor prescribed medical device. It is not suitable to be worn during a Full Body Scan and therefore the patient requests an alternative screening process.

This device can withstand exposure to common electrostatic (ESD) and electromagnetic interference (EMI), including typical airport security metal detectors.

Do not expose to XRAY devices such as hand baggage scanners or other devices that generate very strong magnetic fields. The magnetic fields in the immediate vicinity of these devices can damage the part of the pump’s motor that regulates insulin delivery, possibly resulting in over-delivery and severe hypoglycemia.

If you have any questions concerning this device, please call the Product Support 24hr Helpline on 0044 (0)1923 205 167 (option1).

Product Support
Medtronic Diabetes

GlucoseKnight

There is so many variations of what you should do. I was told not to walk through the Body scanners with it on or pass it through the bag scanners. I have on a few occassions always out the pump in my bag and let it go through the body scanners so not sure now what I should be doing.

If people walk through the full body scanners and never had an issue, I am tempted to keep it attached to me :)

Thanks for the feedback, this forum is really handy for asking fellow Diabetics .. Thank you.

sub

To put the cat amongst the pigeons - the xray machines at security emit less radiation than you will be subjected to on your flight.

The bady scanners do not involve xray's or radiation of any kind (at Gatwick for sure) and the archway metal detectors are just huge magnets. A pump will never set the alarm off when you walk through.