Are You A Diabetes Bore?

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Since discovering I have T2 diabetes (about 6 weeks ago) I have found myself becoming the most enormous diabetic bore!

There is no conversation that I cannot turn into a conversation about diabetes. There is no activity that I take part in without banging on about how it will be good (or bad) for my blood sugar readings. I suppose the whole diabetes thing is on my mind a lot but even so there isn't any excuse for how earth-shatteringly DULL I've become.

Also, I keep looking askance at everybody I know (especially my nearest and dearest) and wondering if they are diabetic and don't know it... Or if they are foolishly making themselves diabetic by their eating habits, or lack of activity.

"You shouldn't drink so much Coke" I say to my boyfriend, "you're making yourself DIABETIC!".

Then I chase my 16 y/o son around the house, going "Just let me test your blood-sugar! It doesn't hurt! You're a bit chubby and you drink a lot (EDIT: of water I meant)... You might be DIABETIC!".

Then I think about one of my friends and go "Hmmm... She's fat and she sits around all day... She'll end up DIABETIC!".

What the hell is happening to me? :shock: I used to be FUN! :***:

I HOPE it'll wear off as I get more used to living with diabetes and less nervous about it. :think: What about you? Did you go through this? Are you STILL doing it? Or are you a bit more normal than me (however unlikely that may seem)?

Unbeliever

Thay's why we are all here. We have driven our friends and families nuts and now have to be banished to a place where we
just drive each other nuts.

Appears to be incurable Starchy carbs with every meal, may help....... :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Glados said:
Since discovering I have T2 diabetes (about 6 weeks ago) I have found myself becoming the most enormous diabetic bore!

Yes I certainly was for the first few months whilst I was leaning all this new stuff we have to get our heads round, to the extent that when I casually mentioned a reference to my diabetes to a friend on another unrelated forum the other day I received this reply:
"I never knew you was a diabetic Sid :shock: You'll have to tell me all about it................again"
zzz.gif
zzz.gif
zzz.gif
zzz.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glados said:
Also, I keep looking askance at everybody I know (especially my nearest and dearest) and wondering if they are diabetic and don't know it... Or if they are foolishly making themselves diabetic by their eating habits, or lack of activity.

"You shouldn't drink so much Coke" I say to my boyfriend, "you're making yourself DIABETIC!".

Then I think about one of my friends and go "Hmmm... She's fat and she sits around all day... She'll end up DIABETIC!".

Never did that though, you cant make your self diabetic even if you are overweight and sit around all day, you either get it or you dont, so give your nearest and dearest a break and let them enjoy the foods that you cant :thumbup:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Sid Bonkers said:
Never did that though, you cant make your self diabetic even if you are overweight and sit around all day, you either get it or you dont, so give your nearest and dearest a break :thumbup:
[/quote]

I think this stems from my own sense of guilt. I pretty much inherited this condition but I WAS warned that I needed to lose weight etc and still didn't change my lifestyle enough (before finally getting diagnosed)... So I do blame myself quite a bit. I think I'm just tryingto protect them from repeating my mistakes. But yeah, I need to back off. :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You really should not blame yourself at all, there are enough non diabetics who know no better than to think all diabetics are fat and lazy, the simple fact is that only 20% of overweight people develop diabetes, therefore it is NOT the main cause of diabetes it is just a marker the same as smoking, genetics, sedentary lifestyle and many others, some probably yet to be discovered. There almost certainly is not one cause of diabetes and as yet no one knows the real triggers, so yes, stop beating yourself up, despite what some others may think you did NOT cause your diabetes.

Instead of attributing blame turn that emotion into a determination to control the condition that you had no say in developing :thumbup:

Or in the words of Spock "Live long and prosper" :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Glados,

It's all still very new to you so can understand why your a self-confessed ''diabetic bore'', hopefully once things settle down you'll become less obsessive and give that family of yours a well-earned break :wink:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Sid Bonkers said:
You really should not blame yourself at all... stop beating yourself up, despite what some others may think you did NOT cause your diabetes.

Thanks! I'll try to get beyond thinking like that.

Sid Bonkers said:
Instead of attributing blame turn that emotion into a determination to control the condition that you had no say in developing :thumbup:

Or in the words of Spock "Live long and prosper" :D

I'm on it like a car bonnet Sid. I'm walking my harris off every day and watching my carbs/blood sugar like a hawk. :D :thumbup:

C

catherinecherub

Wait until you meet the Diabetes Police who try telling you what you should and should not be eating even though they do not have diabetes.. Will give you a bit of insight into your recent behaviour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
catherinecherub said:
Wait until you meet the Diabetes Police who try telling you what you should and should not be eating even though they do not have diabetes.. Will give you a bit of insight into your recent behaviour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still waiting for that (oh please NO) :wink: :lol: - so far I've mostly encountered "Have some cake, one little bit won't hurt you!" "Eat some chocolate and then just have a little walk!". :crazy:

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was the most enormous bore and continue to be so when I find myself eating out with people I do not know well and say "one little bit wont hurt you". Would you say that to a drug addict or alcoholic who was trying to keep away from what harms them?
I also am a vegetarian so it is doubly hard, people years ago used to ask what I ate, now I give them the full low carb lecture! They don't ask again.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm a bore about diabetes, too - I consider it educational for my audience :lol: . As I can also bore for England about Atkins :shock: , there's no wonder I don't have many friends :crazy: :wink:

Viv 8)

SweetHeart

Okay, I'm laughing at all of this though I have no right to because, two weeks into this diabetes thang, I'm becoming much the same as Glados (maybe it's a transition phase :think: ) and you know the worse bit? I'm not even a diabetic.......leave that bit up to Himself. But I guess I'm as bad as I am because he and I are in this together, we are both going to go low-carb (or our personal version thereof) for the sake of our health. There is diabetes in my immediate family and I have hypothyroidism, so I am at risk of developing it so I'm going to try to stave it off.

We were out today, looking for alternative ingredients, and I found myself staring at people thinking 'You really need to low-carb' and in the High Street we were given free cat treats for our cats and I'm thinking 'Are these low-carb?' Not only that, but I'm convinced one of our moggies might be diabetic now.....

You do become obsessed bit I'm not sure that's a very bad thing for now...... :wink:

Julia

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Being obsessive must be practically the best way to get your head around the whole low-carb thing. It's HARD to change a lifetimes eating habits.
I keep looking at my kids and thinking "you really need to cut the carbs". Because they will get sick eventually, and I know it, but they think it does not apply to them - because their blood sugar is still normal.
I know it is boring to say things like that, and more to the point, it's no good because they will not believe it until it happens to them. We all think we are immortal.

ruby65

I seem to be the opposite. Since being diagnosed Type 2 in January this year I initially became obessed about it and the need to change my diet/lifestyle etc., This 'obsession' lasted for approxmately 3-4days. Since then I have almost acted as normal, eating the usual things and putting diabetes to the back of my mind.

I am sure it has all to do with a little bit of denial and the fact I have not yet taken all the implications of my diagnosis on board as yet. I think I will simply take a little longer to adapt than most. The low carb thing is the one thing I most certainly have not yet got my head round..........how long will it take before I do? God only knows!

SueR

My other half is diabetic , so there's no escaping from long discussions about what we should and shouldn't eat and we have 3 friends who are also diabetic - even more discussions about diabetes and what and what not to eat, treatments etc.

Yes we have encountered the Diabetes Police - who aren't diabetic but know all that there is to know about it. We have also upset close friends by refusing cake. Try explaining that the cakes they constantly offer us are extremely high in sugar and do more damage than good every day for a week, when you are on holiday and supposed to be relaxing. 'But you do eat cake' is their usual response, yes we do eat cake but only as a treat and I have usually made it with reduced sugar and fat.

I think it becomes a way of life and you do stop, look at food and think about it more closely. For a birthday treat we went to Harvester and I did find myself looking more closely at the menu. On Byetta these sort of places were out, because I just couldn't eat very much and there was a lot of food wasted. I did enjoy my birthday this year because I was able to eat some nice food and not feel guilty - well until I looked at the desserts and then went for the ice cream because it lower in sugar, compared to some of the other's on offer. My diabetes brain took over and does in situations like this; just wished certain friends would understand this !

When we go out for meals with friends I do find myself mentally comparing what they eat, to what we eat and I am horrified at the amount of sugar and salt they consume. It's times like that when you are glad to be diabetic and know what damage the food is doing to you. It's pointless saying anything, because they aren't diabetic- yet !- and can eat what they like. .

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I most certainly am. I figure if I can drive the possibly "at risk" non-diabetics nuts with my obsessing, they will endeavour to place themselves as far away from me as they possibly can!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
catherinecherub said:

"Diabetes Police". How very true! I find it funny that people think we will collapse if we've had *ONE* biscuit!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I obsess and bore everyone here, as I cant do it at home. My DH always showed his love for me by his hobby of cooking special puddings, cakes and cookies. He has finally got the message that 'Mild' Diabetes is still diabetes. I am trying to steer him into being creative with low carbs :)

He was with me when the doctor referred to it as Mild and sort of misunderstood.

Helenababe

Well, I'm a bore...

Oh, you mean a diabetic bore! :lol:

I discuss, moan about, infact talk the hind legs off a donkey about diabetes. I also do it to educate everyone, not in a smug way, but to try and take away those myths they believe like: 'All I have to do is cut out sugar', and if I tell them I can't eat pastry or bread because it puts my sugar up, they'll stare at me in disbelief, and then try and argue with me that bread isn't sugar! I told someone that I was a T2 diabetic, and they said: 'Oh, that's the mild one, isn't it?'

So, I try to make them understand how it really is, well, until I start to see their eyes glazing over.

Now that my son's a T2 our conversation always turns to diabetes, so my husband just goes to sleep! :lol:

Helena