Are You A Diabetes Bore?

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Helenababe said:
Now that my son's a T2 our conversation always turns to diabetes, so my husband just goes to sleep! :lol:

Helena

That's an alternative type of diabetic coma! :lol:

MaryJ

yes I definately have but getting better now.

You do get the usual ' oh that's just diet isnt it' yes but you try it FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

I was diagnosed 2 weeks before Christmas and was amazingly good. My brother-in-law said but surely you can have some treats, it's christmas.

Yes I'm sure I can but if I couldn't control myself 2 weeks in, how the hell would I cope for the next 40 or so?

Defren

I'm not sure I am a bore, I do talk to everyone about my 'new' diet. I tend to obsess, I have to know what people have done/tried. I spend a lot of time on here reading. I am passionate about MY diabetes, and how terrified I am of complications, so do go overboard with the 'can't eat this that or the other'. Also, if I make a mistake (I did earlier in the week with sausages) I do panic a little. I try hard not pass along the panic, and think I do succeed, but diabetes does occupy a LOT of my waking thoughts. I suspect things will settle soon, I am only a month diagnosed, but when I will settle down I have no idea. Carbs are monitored and I do my shopping by carbs (I do add treats for my daughters, but realise I have cut those down too). I think I either have, or have on order every single supplement that people here have said helps. A diabetic bore? Me? No! A diabetic obsessive :lol:

lorri1

Hi, I am exactly the same!....phew....I am normal after all :)

I really need to stop asking if I can test everyone :lol: .....my strips are hard to come by... but I just can't help myself. But all it does is make me insanely jealous when the result comes back normal :twisted:

And I've never really been one for sweet things or puddings but now!! ...I drool.....because I can't have them....I want them!......

Lorri

SweetHeart

I'm quite amazed at how much our life has changed in the month, no, six weeks since MH was diagnosed. I would have cracked up completely had it not been for the marvellous support of this forum. I'll happily bore the bottom off of anyone who'll listen to me yabber about diabetes, even though I'm not diabetic. It has changed my life and my attitude as well as his.

Owing to MH sticking his head in the sand, there have been huge fights in our house witnessed by our children, about diabetes, testing, diet, taking responsibility for oneself and bl**dy growing up. Our children aren't small - youngest is 15 - but they have learned from our fighting (more than shocking as we've never fought over anything before, ever), they are now looking earnestly at what they eat and starting to question their choices in food. They aren't ready for radical change, but the seed has been planted and they are starting, gradually, to eat healthily. They even like a lot of our low carb stuff. Their friends eat with us most days, and we get some funny looks when we're tucking into something like cauliflower rice with enjoyment, they pull faces and ask questions and go away thoughtful; Diabetes? Yeah, I've heard of it, but I've never considered it....it could happen to me, yeah? You're kidding....

I feel concerned for other children/young people when I see them gorging on junk food, but what can you do? You can't say anything, they aren't your children. I can feel my eyebrows rise into my hairline when I see the trolleys full of rubbish that other shoppers have in the supermarket and I have to bite my tongue. My 'healthy' isn't their 'healthy'.

If only they knew.....

Julia

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
lorri1 said:

I really need to stop asking if I can test everyone :lol: .....my strips are hard to come by... but I just can't help myself. But all it does is make me insanely jealous when the result comes back normal :twisted:

And I've never really been one for sweet things or puddings but now!! ...I drool.....because I can't have them....I want them!......

Lorri
I still have dreams that involve one of these bad boys!!{Groan}

Attachments

• imagesCAA9Q4QQ.jpg
    imagesCAA9Q4QQ.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 504

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Paul1976 said:
lorri1 said:

Lorri
I still have dreams that involve one of these bad boys!!{Groan}

Me too, Paul, but I could never be tempted by one of those! The pink stuff puts me off . . . :lol:

On the other hand, I watched the Hairy Bikers' Bakation last night and was drooling over all the lovely savoury baked things. Crackling Scones and Curly Pies - yum! :p . The pancetta-like cake with Turkish Delight in was something else, though - yuk! :shock: :sick:

Next time they're doing Austria - low-carb Sachertorte, WhitbyJet? :lol:

Viv 8)

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I'm a big Hairy Bikers fan too especially when they do their 'Mum's know best' show and everyone bakes and shares their family recipes! All that lovely food would have been my idea of an excellent day out before diagnosis! :D

Pancetta and turkish delight cake though? :shock: :sick: :lol:

WhitbyJet

Low carb Sachertorte? Forget it!!

If I ever get to go over there again I shall have my insulin pens with me for the entire duration of the holiday.
We travelled the area 8 years ago, never had Sachertorte in Austria, but oh, those apple strudel things, fruit strudels they do - forget low carb for a while, dont bother with Metformin, its pure insulin you want!!

A

Anonymous

I used to live in Germany, and their cakes are to die for. Probably literally these days!

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I realised I was a total diabetic bore on Wednesday when we went out for lunch to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and I found myself emphasising to the waiter that I had to have diet draught Coke, not ordinary Coke when he said the only Coke they had was on draught. I also didn't eat a pudding even though they looked really good. I found that I couldn't let my control slip even for one meal. The reward though was lovely low levels two hours after eating :D

SweetHeart

I remember the days of Kaffee und Kuchen......twenty five years ago now. Glad we had the chance to do that before the diabetes arrived. There was a lovely ice cream parlour where we lived too; my oldest son was a toddler then and he loved going for a Spaghetti Eis or a Pizza Eis. They make the 'spaghetti' by putting the icecream through a ricer, topped it with strawberry sauce (tomato sauce) and flakes of white chocolate for the parmesan cheese.

The thought of those ices or cakes now....... :crazy: Need to stick to being :angel:

Julia