Can't get lower then 7

Maple

Hi... I'm type one, diagnosed around 9 months ago. Overall, I feel I have decent control over my BG. It ranges from 4.5 to 6(ish) before meals and I have got it down from 12 before bed to 8-9. I've been told that a fasting BG should be 5-6 but I can't get below 7? I'm on 20u of Lantus taken in the evening and a 10:1 ratio of humalog (was on epidra until the supply issues...)

Any suggestions?

-Andrew

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Can you clarify what the problem is, I might be mis-reading your post. You say that you can't seem to get fasting BS below 7, but your pre-meal levels are between 4.5-6? Pre breakfast would be counted as fasting, so you seem to be within the target you are hoping to achieve.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maple said:
Hi... pre meals are fine, it's the 'first thing in the morning' figure that I can't get below 7.

In my experience, early morning highs are because I need more long acting insulin (I'm on Levemir) at night. Just a couple of units make a difference. It may be worth trying to increase your long acting insulin. I would only add a couple of units, then leave it for maybe 2 or 3 days to see how it affects your AM readings. If they are still too high, do the same again, always leave a few days for a pattern to emerge rather than increasing day after day.

A

Anonymous

Have you ever tested at night? Do this at least once before adjusting your basal. Morning highs could be a rebound from night-time lows, if that's the case you might actually have to lower your dose to have better morning readings.

smaynard

One further thought Andrew, do you test immediately you wake? I used to do this with my daughter and would frequently have numbers a bit higher than desirable which I would correct and she'd then hypo. Then we started using CGMS and we observed that my daughter's blood sugar goes up my a couple of mmol immediately on waking and then drops again (without correction) within 30 mins (it appears to be a bit like an adrenalin response). We therefore now don't test until she's been awake for c. 30 mins. This might be something very individual to my daughter but I thought I'd mention in case useful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
fenix92 said:
Have you ever tested at night? Do this at least once before adjusting your basal. Morning highs could be a rebound from night-time lows, if that's the case you might actually have to lower your dose to have better morning readings.

Good advice, it's inconvenient but testing during the night gives you a bigger picture of what your bg is doing. Should you decide that your lantus needs increasing do it by just 1 unit at a time then leave it for 2-3 days before adjusting again, lantus takes 2-3 days before changes are noticed (check patient information) so do keep this in mind.

Good luck!

Maple

smaynard said:
One further thought Andrew, do you test immediately you wake? I used to do this with my daughter and would frequently have numbers a bit higher than desirable which I would correct and she'd then hypo. Then we started using CGMS and we observed that my daughter's blood sugar goes up my a couple of mmol immediately on waking and then drops again (without correction) within 30 mins (it appears to be a bit like an adrenalin response). We therefore now don't test until she's been awake for c. 30 mins. This might be something very individual to my daughter but I thought I'd mention in case useful.

Thanks, will try that too!!

Maple

Maple said:
smaynard said:

Thanks, will try that too!!

Tried waiting 20 minutes today before testing, reading was 5.1! Once is not enough to say 'that was it!' but I'm going to try that for a few days.... cheers

smaynard

As you say, once isn't enough to be sure but I do hope this is the answer to your morning anomaly. I know you are also trying night time testing too.... for my daughter, night time wakings cause the exact same affect. On the CGMS you can see the pattern very clearly.