About eating sweets and controlling sugars

Veena

I do love to eat sweets but because of diabetes....... :cry: ..... :idea: Is it okay to eat sweets when i have the urge and take double the dose of diabetes medication to control it, occasionally of course. :wink:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on your attitude towards diabetes. and what Type you are.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I'd say it is not worth it as I don't want to develop any complications in the future. I just don't eat sweets any more and I have to say that I don't miss them.

Helenababe

Hi Veena,

What medication are you on?
If it's Metformin then no, you mustn't up your dose. It doesn't act like insulin. It acts over a certain period so if you ate sweets, it wouldn't bring your sugar down.

I shouldn't eat sweets with sugar in them. There are sweets you can buy that are sugar free. Apart from Polos I get sweets from Aldis. There are several flavours.

Helena :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Veena said:
I do love to eat sweets but because of diabetes....... :cry: ..... :idea: Is it okay to eat sweets when i have the urge and take double the dose of diabetes medication to control it, occasionally of course. :wink:

Not a good idea IMHO.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
if you are on insulin, on a basal-bolus regime, i don't think it's a problem to do this occasionally but ONLY if you know what you are doing, have done a dafne course (learned to match carbs to insulin) and test before and after to ensure you have given the correct adjusted dose. If this sounds difficult, it is!
If none of the above sounds like you, or you're not on insulin and controlled by diet and medication, then no i don't think it will work.

if you want a nibble, are there other foods you can eat? I find very dark chocolate (85%) does not affect my blood sugar too much if I eat a moderate amount, plus there are things like berries with cream and sweetener that can make into a pudding. The other thing i sometimes do is get an atkins coconut bar, it's a bit like a bounty but low carb.
Not sweet, but may satisfy the urge to snack - nuts, cheese

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Veena

I understand how you are feeling and I too am finding it really hard to give up the sweets and chocolate. It was easier in the first 3 months after diagnosis as I was terrified but the fear has gone now and I am worried about becoming complacent. When you read all the posts on here about how good everyone is, it does make you feel a failure and think "why can't I do it?". I am on metformin only and I have to be honest and admit to having the chocolate and sweets and thinking to myself "one won't do any harm" but I know I'm only kidding myself. Also, one will only lead to 2 and 3.........

I buy the sugar free sweets from Aldi's (fruits/butterscotch/strawberries and cream) and also their chocolate (moser roth 85%) which does satisfy the cravings alot of the time. I also made Whitbyjet's chocolate muffins which were easy to make, filling and satisfying. They hit the spot!! :D

Another disadvantage I have is that eating the sweets doesn't seem to spike me. I wish it would and then I would get the fear back. On Monday night I had 3 slices of Dominos pizza and about 4 slice of chocolate birthday cake and on Tuesday morning I had my lowest ever FBG :crazy:

The only good advice I can give you is to come on to this forum whenever you feel like eating. Reading all the posts gives you the incentive to be good. If I really can't control myself then I have been known to go to bed early to stop myself from eating.

It's hard but we are all in it together and here for each other.

Be strong (pot calling kettle......... :lol: )

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really wouldn't eat the sweets at all. To get diabetes under some control you have to move away from the sweet tooth we have all grown up with. Sugar/carbs give you a glucose hit which only makes you want to have more regardless of any tablets you are taking. Tablets are not like insulin and can't be taken at will to compensate carbs. If you are on insulin then as you are aware you can vary the insulin but I would just avoid the problem..