Cinnamon and Bitter Melon for reducing fasting levels

Defren

This thread has really caught my attention. I have ordered some Karela Powder to see if that helps any. I understand the powder tastes foul, but after getting a multi vit 'stuck' the other day, I am sure I can cope with it, washed down quickly with a good slug of tea (with soya milk) :mrgreen: I must confess at this point I am prepared to try almost anything to aid me and my diet in keeping my BG down. I will let you know how I get on.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Today is the last day of my 8 week detox diet - The Newcastle Diet. My BG has stabilised at around 4 now whereas before I struggled to get below 7 despite taking 2 x 500mg of Metformin daily. Now thanks to the detox diet I stopped taking Metformin weeks ago.

I do take several vitamins and minerals daily; some in mega doses. Two I can recommend, although not cheap, are:

Multi-Guard Balance by Nature's Best; which contains 2000mg of Cinnamon Bark per daily dose (2 tablets daily) and

Blood Sugar with Gymnema by Nature's Way; which contains 400mg of Cinnamon Bark plus 150mg of Bitter Melon per daily dose (6 tablets daily).

Just Google each one for full details

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Another update but first apologies swimmer2 didn't see the post on this thread but THINK I answered it on another one to you. If not let me know.

Defren, Ardbeg glad you have joined the party!

So a further week on and my BG's seem to have completely stabilised. Overall my 7 day average is now around 5.35 but the impressive thing is the stability between pre and +2 hour readings as apart from a couple of carb heavy celebratory meals my +2 hour readings have always been within 0.5 of a pre meal reading. The highest +2 hour reading I've had in the last 8 days is a 6.1. which was a post breakfast one where I'd woken up with a bad DP effect.

Still not driving down by fasting levels as much as I'd like primarily because I always wake up somewhere around the mid 5's but that gets better as the day progresses so that just before my evening main meal have normally fallen to the mid to high 4's. Its been like that for quite a while now. Can't seem to shift it lower yet but maybe when the BANABA turns up :lol:

sip

HbA1c:
15 November 2011 = 8.9

07 March 2012 = 6.6 (fasting BG = 5.4)

No changes in diet, just take one spoon cinnamon powder + one tablespoon honey stirred into a paste + 2x500mg Metformin.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sip said:
HbA1c:
15 November 2011 = 8.9

07 March 2012 = 6.6 (fasting BG = 5.4)

No changes in diet, just take one spoon cinnamon powder + one tablespoon honey stirred into a paste + 2x500mg Metformin.
Well done sip :clap:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
cinnamon powder + one tablespoon honey stirred into a paste

I've heard of this. Honey is pretty **** natural - I wouldn't be urprised if there wee health benefits. I need to get some raw, natural honey and some suitable cinnamon.

Maple Syrup is also natural - I wonder if that can be used???

A

Anonymous

am I missing something? isn't honey going to send your levels through the roof ??

(have ordered my bitter melon and cinnamon tablets though :D )

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I was going to suggest Patch tried treacle but wasn't sure if that was natural enough for him :lol:

sip

Using alternative treatments can be a leap of faith, more so because we only know about GPs, hospitals, pills, capsules, and so on. If you visit any Muslim country, you'll notice honey everywhere you go: this isn't just a matter of local taste or preference, but the healing properties of honey are mentioned in the Muslim holy book, the Quran and many value the healing properties of honey.

My daughter's eyesight was pretty bad and she needed new prescriptions every 6-12 months. Mixed pure honey with water and used as eye-drops for a few months -- she hasn't needed new prescriptions for nearly 10 years now.

Sore throat and niggly cough wont let you sleep? Take a teaspoon of honey (add lemon drops if you want). Also mix tablespoon of honey in a half cup (not mug) of hot water and drink first thing in the morning. My GP doesn't prescribe cough medicine anymore, just tells you to have "honey tea" before breakfast.

You may want to read some articles (none of these are based on any religious belief):

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/

http://www.suebee.com/honey/honey_faq.asp

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-16-2006-105583.asp
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/facts-on ... namon.html

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=165893

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc ... 8/bob1.htm

http://www.worldwidewounds.com/2001/nov ... agent.html

Jolo

Hey awesome :eek: thanks for the info :thumbup:
I've got some Manuka honey - it's a great healer and i've proved it works time and time again with sore throat and with burns and with all sorts.. .just need to try it on the diabetes now!
Do u know where i can get cinnamon capules and these bitter melon things from?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jolo you can get the caps off eBay. I bought the Swanson Cinnamon caps and Himalaya Bitter melon tabs. You can also get the Banaba caps off eBay to but these haven't arrived yet. There was a seller selling Himalaya Bitter melon by the 600 tabs at a greatly reduced price on ebay the other day.

My long term plan is to prove they all work then buy Cinnamon, Bitter Melon and Banaba in powder form by the kilo and buy a cap making machine which are pretty cheap at around £15. This should make it a lot cheaper to do in the long run.

Jolo

Hey i never thought of looking on there, Xyzzy. Does it not worry you that the seller could have put any old substance in the caps though!?!? : :eh:
Dont suppose there's any harm in trying or i'll never know i suppose!
Good thinking batman thanks.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy my cinnamon as powder from ebay as I think the American cinnamon is different from the UK stuff (which I don't think works). It is a normal American brand McCormicks and comes in a sealed tub. I like to sprinkle it over my cereal (I say cereal but it is ready made museli with lots of added chopped nuts and ground almonds to cut the carb content).

I bought bitter melon in capsule form from an online shop based in the UK (who import it from America) but I'm not sure if it is doing anything.

Jolo

I started putting cinnamon on toast with zyloton (however u spell it). but i've since gone low carb so i dont have bread anymore. Not sure if it will help as i'm Type 1 but there's no harm in digesting a bit i dont reckon. I'm gonna give those ones off ebay a try and see what happens

sip

@Jolo

The stuff we can buy from supermarkets is ground, then processed through various chemicals including (artificial) alcohol etc to make it all pretty and presentable for sale. Commercially produced cinnamon probably also has cinnamon essence added to enhance the smell. All that processing either reduces or destroys it's efficacy, just like the difference between boiling and steaming vegetables.

If you live close to an Indian spice shop, get cinnamon sticks**, then use a grinder to make your own cinnamon powder. This way, there is no additional processing as is for commercial use. You'll be able to tell the difference just by the scent/smell of the two.

** Sources of Cinnamon:

http://geography-countries.factoidz.com ... hers-uses/

The most popular producer of this spice is Sri Lanka where it has been cultivated since time immemorial. Sri Lanka produced 90% of the world’s cinnamon followed by China, India and Vietnam. It is also grown in countries like Indonesia and Bangladesh. Brazil, Madagascar, Egypt and Zanzibar also cultivate cinnamon.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jolo said:
Hey i never thought of looking on there, Xyzzy. Does it not worry you that the seller could have put any old substance in the caps though!?!? : :eh:
Dont suppose there's any harm in trying or i'll never know i suppose!
Good thinking batman thanks.

Been a keen eBayer since 2002, so long as you keep to sellers with decent reps I've never had a problem. Even bought a car off ebay once with no problem. You can get some real bargains. I get all my test strips from eBay suppliers as well. The caps and tabs are branded products and the same products can be bought in other outlets but usually at far higher prices. Would be a bit more suspicious of someone on eBay who was just selling the raw constituents.

Only ever had one guy try to do a runner with my cash. He sold me a car radio then never sent it. Being a computer professional (loathe and hate the word nerd) I tracked him down. Actually I traced his father who turned out to be a respectable business owner and a local councillor. I had great fun :twisted: In the end I got his sons mobile number and simply said if he didn't send the radio or refund my cash I'd just report him to the police for taking money via false pretences. Got the radio in the end.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
))Denise(( said:
I bought bitter melon in capsule form from an online shop based in the UK (who import it from America) but I'm not sure if it is doing anything.

How much in grams are you taking Denise? For it to have a effect the same as some diabetic drugs you need to be taking around 100mg / kilo you weigh so on most peoples weight that would work out around 7 to 10 grams a day. That's an awful lot. When I was trying to do the Karela Powder route two teaspoons of powder was around 5 grams. With the Himalaya tabs you would need to be taking around 8 per day to get 5 grams. That's why in the end making your own caps and buying the powder in bulk is a load cheaper.