Cinnamon and Bitter Melon for reducing fasting levels

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That may be it then, the capsules are 900mg and I'm taking 2 a day. I need to do a day of intensive testing both before and after meals to find out if it is reducing spiking.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The other thing Denise is I think Bitter Melon behaves more like Metformin in that it seems to have very little effect on fasting levels if they are already normally at a good level. I can certainly now eat more carbs than I could in one go though so in that respect it's been really good and my +2 hour readings have got a lot tighter on normal low carb days.

For fasting levels the Cinnamon works a bit better I think but I suspect as with carb chomping capability we are all going to be different.

Defren

xyzzy said:
Another update but first apologies swimmer2 didn't see the post on this thread but THINK I answered it on another one to you. If not let me know.

Defren, Ardbeg glad you have joined the party!

So a further week on and my BG's seem to have completely stabilised. Overall my 7 day average is now around 5.35 but the impressive thing is the stability between pre and +2 hour readings as apart from a couple of carb heavy celebratory meals my +2 hour readings have always been within 0.5 of a pre meal reading. The highest +2 hour reading I've had in the last 8 days is a 6.1. which was a post breakfast one where I'd woken up with a bad DP effect.

Still not driving down by fasting levels as much as I'd like primarily because I always wake up somewhere around the mid 5's but that gets better as the day progresses so that just before my evening main meal have normally fallen to the mid to high 4's. Its been like that for quite a while now. Can't seem to shift it lower yet but maybe when the BANABA turns up :lol:

My Karela powder arrived today. It's quite a large size pot, so not expensive and I got LOADS of freebies with the order. The downside - It smells so yukky I doubt I will even try it :mrgreen: Ok, I will, but have a feeling that knowing I must take it daily is going to be difficult. I strongly suggest capsules, as the smell really is off putting.

Defren

Take away the smiley in my above post. No way I am taking that Karela in powder form, it is the most vile taste on the planet. Is there a way I can make capsules with it, if not, where can I buy capsules? :sick:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad I bought the bitter melon as capsules Defren, I didn't fancy the taste when I had read about it.

I think the cinnamon definitely lowers my fasting levels and they are usually between 5 and 6 (I get cross when they are at the top end of 5 or go over into the low 6's). The Sainsbury's cinnamon definitely didn't work.

I want to ditch the Gliclazide (I find it difficult to lose weight on it), so if I have to up the quantity of the bitter melon, then that's what I will do.

Defren

))Denise(( said:
I'm glad I bought the bitter melon as capsules Defren, I didn't fancy the taste when I had read about it.

I think the cinnamon definitely lowers my fasting levels and they are usually between 5 and 6 (I get cross when they are at the top end of 5 or go over into the low 6's). The Sainsbury's cinnamon definitely didn't work.

I want to ditch the Gliclazide (I find it difficult to lose weight on it), so if I have to up the quantity of the bitter melon, then that's what I will do.

Could you PM me your supplier please Denise, the bitter melon powder is just un-takeable it vile!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Defren I've just PM'ed you with some stuff on Cap making and bulk supply of Bitter Melon & Banaba.

Told you it was foul stuff. :sick: :lol: :sick:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sip said:
xyzzy said:
I get all my test strips from eBay suppliers as well.

Why not your GP?

GP practice is one of those do not test under any circumstances because it does no good, will make you depressed and will just confuse you :x but what they really mean is it will cost them money. :x :x

Defren

xyzzy said:
Defren I've just PM'ed you with some stuff on Cap making and bulk supply of Bitter Melon & Banaba.

Told you it was foul stuff. :sick: :lol: :sick:

Shurrup :mrgreen: Just 'cos you were right :oops: I thought if I put my big girl panties on I could take it, not so, it's 'orrible.

Jolo

I told mum about being able to get the cinnamon off ebay, and the blessed lady had already ground some real live GM-FREE cinnamon sticks up!! dont mind having a lil lick of it :p but i cant see myself chomping through pots of it :problem: !

Defren

Thanks to two lovely posters, I am waiting for an email to say the capsule maker and capsules are back in stock, and in the meantime have ordered some bitter melon capsules. Thanks Denise and xyzzy :D

A

Anonymous

My capsules of Bitter Melon and Cinnamon are on their way - should have them early next week.

Glad to join this particular bandwagon :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So with tonight's final reading I have a new world record average of 4.9 across the day, the first time my average has been under 5 since I started. Would have been even better had I not had such an mediocre DP 5.6 this morning. Yesterday's average 5.0.

BUT it's time to fess up as this time the results aren't drug induced but the fact that I seem to have become an ultra low carber by accident.

The wife who follows the same diet said she was feeling tired a few days ago and looking at our average g/day and knowing tiredness is an initial but temporary side effect of ULC I had her pee on a Ketostix. Beautiful shade of pinky purple showing her in Ketosis and burning the fat. So as she's the main cook and well happy with her weight loss progression looks like I'm a ULC for a while with the last 3 days averaging out at 28g / day :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banaba has turned up. Sealed bottles so nicely reassuring. Started on one 250mg cap as the bottle suggests. Will let you all know how it goes. Will run out of Bitter Melon caps today until my next ones arrive in the post in a few days so this will hopefully be a rough test of Banaba v Bitter Melon.

SweetHeart

xyzzy said:
Banaba has turned up. Sealed bottles so nicely reassuring. Started on one 250mg cap as the bottle suggests. Will let you all know how it goes. Will run out of Bitter Melon caps today until my next ones arrive in the post in a few days so this will hopefully be a rough test of Banaba v Bitter Melon.

Still waiting for mine. MH has been taking the bitter melon caps, but we've had to lower the dose as the recommended amount caused stomach cramps. I did a bit of research and I can't take the bitter melon (not good for..er....ladies' things) so the Banaba leaf caps are for me.

As to MH taking the bitter melon; we've discovered that they have no effect on his after breakfast levels. Testing has shown that he does just fine on two slices of Burgen Soy & Linseed bread, with a scraping of butter and half sugar jam, but the BM has no effect IMHO because the Burgen bread is so slow to break down...I think the BM is digested faster. It does have very positive effects on his main meal though.

Xyzz what dosage of BM are you taking?

Julia

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Himalaya caps say 660mg of active ingredient so I was taking 4 in the morning with brekkie and 4 in the evening with dinner so just under 5 grams a day. Run out now but have some more arriving. Once the cap making machine turns up will swap back to the Karela powder I bought then when that's gone will order the powder in bulk. Like you I don't think the BM does a lot on fasting levels at breakfast but does have real spike control on main meals.

Seems like I might have a stomach of steel probably caused by eating too many vindaloos in my youth. I seem to handle 1500mg of standard Metformin + the BM + 1.7 grams of cinnamon without incident. The cinnamon occasionally repeats for a few minutes but then its fine.

Going to read some more about the Banaba as one 250mg cap per day seems small compared to the other stuff!

Might be worth ignoring your blushes and saying about the "ladies things" as others may need to know or at least point us to the research you found.

SweetHeart

Okay......For The Ladies Considering taking Bitter Melon

Information is a little sketchy and most internet site just say that BM is good for 'Menstrual Problems'. I don't know about you, but I found that a little too vague.

Further reading suggests that taking bitter melon in large quantities can stimulate a period - so it could have an abortative effect. Please don't take bitter melon in any form if you are trying for a baby. It can also affect fertility in both men and women, so it's not for anyone trying to conceive. My apologies, but I feel I must add that you should not ever take it to bring on spontaneous abortion - please see your doctor.

Julia

PS It wasn't my blushes I was trying to spare Xyzz.... :wink:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for letting us know Julia, I've not got any worries in that department, have had a hysterectomy and currently going through the menopause (too much information - sorry :lol: ).

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SweetHeart said:
PS It wasn't my blushes I was trying to spare Xyzz.... :wink:

After being at the birth of all four of my children (manfully taking the "who's f***ing idea was this!" each time) and actually having to gown up and help at the business end with my daughters delivery cos the doc was late arriving I've pretty much seen it all I think.