Hi

mark.jayson

I am Mark, 22 years old and I have a lot of friends who are diabetic. I have an aunt who died because of diabetes. Right I am careful of drinking softdrinks and eating sweets.

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
Hi mark and welcome,
you will find a lot of great and useful information on this forum.
i hope you find us all friendly and supportive. :D

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mark. Hope you find out all you need to about diabetes.

You are probably better just keeping to a balanced healthy diet if you are a little worried about getting diabetes yourself. Sweet drinks and food are OK in moderation, they cannot cause diabetes - its just if you pig out on them all the time, you are likely to put on more weight than you should, which is a risk factor.

You can be at more of a risk if you are related to someone with diabetes, exactly how much of a risk I do not know, as I have not looked into that yet. You could find out if any other relatives have it or are pre-diabetic - if it's more than just your aunt then yes, its a factor, but sometimes just appears - am the first in my family that has it. It is different for type 1 and type 2 of course.

But coming on here and learning about it is a good way of making you more informed about what to look out for, and if its type 2 diabetes, maybe even avoiding it in the first place.