My first Information Thingy. Heck!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you've got the time to spare then I would still go. You've got nothing to lose.

As far as diabetes is concerned every day is a learning day and you can never know too much. You might learn some things on the course but I wouldn't rely on it for dietary advice.

Defren

I have come to the conclusion reading many peoples experiences with HCP be it DN or on courses, they want to kill all us diabetics off. It would certainly be cheaper if they did. So far today, my carbs have been around 5g and I have had dinner. Imagine telling a pro carb HCP that, they would keel over!

A

Anonymous

chocoholicnomore said:
If you've got the time to spare then I would still go. You've got nothing to lose.

As far as diabetes is concerned every day is a learning day and you can never know too much. You might learn some things on the course but I wouldn't rely on it for dietary advice.

I will see how I feel if and when I get offered a place. It is just a bit dispiriting when the information makes little sense.

A

Anonymous

Defren said:
I have come to the conclusion reading many peoples experiences with HCP be it DN or on courses, they want to kill all us diabetics off. It would certainly be cheaper if they did. So far today, my carbs have been around 5g and I have had dinner. Imagine telling a pro carb HCP that, they would keel over!

5g?????????????????? How the heck of you managed that? I have only had two today (bit of tomato sauce with my bacon and egg) but I haven`t eaten my evening meal yet as I haven`t felt hungry. I know you are suffering with metformin side effects, but still. Are you losing weight like mad?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was really motivated then I went on the Desmond course. Biggest load of tosh ever and the ladies running it treated me with contempt. Ho hum.

Ali

SweetHeart

Ali H said:
I was really motivated then I went on the Desmond course. Biggest load of tosh ever and the ladies running it treated me with contempt. Ho hum.

Ali

Please tell me you didn't go on the courses run in Clevedon or WsM...... :?:

Julia

A

Anonymous

Ali H said:

Ali

I think I had better get used to that feeling ;)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad that when I asked about an education course, I was told that they had no funding for courses and that all I could have was a chat with the practice nurse (the one that does the baby injections, asthma clinic etc) who told me to eat wholegrain and no fruit.

A

Anonymous

))Denise(( said:
I'm glad that when I asked about an education course, I was told that they had no funding for courses and that all I could have was a chat with the practice nurse (the one that does the baby injections, asthma clinic etc) who told me to eat wholegrain and no fruit.

My practice nurse said to stick to 17gs of carbs with each meal. Better information than any I had yesterday.

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)
tbh my course i went on was pretty much the same but unfortunately was not as well informed then but the one thing they did promote was a need for testing but would not provide nor advise how to get one sorted :roll:
glad i know better now

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No Yeovil, not WSM. They judged me on size, poo poohed my GPs diagnosis of LADA and gliclazide prescription etc etc. i get fed up with it tbh. Very unprofessional imho.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know the whole idea of the course is to educate people but I couldn't believe that apart from one other person, nobody else had even attempted to figure it out for themselves. No reading, no internet googling, nothing. They were merrily continuing to eat things with the misconception that providing they limited their intake of sugary foods all would be well.

I was doing really well until I went on this course, it didn't help that I started to be ill that day and went down with a really heavy cold that turned to a chest infection within days. I was ill for over a month in the end, during which I started doing a new part time contract. I was so confused by their reaction to me and scathing comments that it really dented my enthusiasm for sorting it out. I didn't start to nosh junk or anything like that but I stopped educating myself and reading this forum for example.

I am currently having a crisis following knee surgery. My levels have suddenly shot through the roof, I am into double figures again as if somebody has hit an off switch on my pancreas. I feel awful, no energy, thirsty oh you know the score all of the symptoms back in other words. Working with GPs to resolve it but I think insulin is looming although I want some CPep and GAD tests done first, whether that will happen who knows!

Good luck is all I can say, go along, listen and take from it what you will but at the end of the day, the people on here are far better educated in general!!

Ali

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading all this, if I actually get as far as being offered a course, I will go and just smile and nod. And try to mention this site in the breaks. And take my own food.

And I simply dare tell anyone medical I am testing.

Making scathing comments to you is very rude.

Defren

Jeannemum said:
Defren said:

5g?????????????????? How the heck of you managed that? I have only had two today (bit of tomato sauce with my bacon and egg) but I haven`t eaten my evening meal yet as I haven`t felt hungry. I know you are suffering with metformin side effects, but still. Are you losing weight like mad?

Yes, and I'm not happy about it. The faster you lose weight the quicker you put it back on. Today I had a mixed leaf salad, with a little cooked meat and two boiled eggs, couldn't face breakfast or lunch. I made an oil and vinegar dressing to add some calories. My carbs again today have been exceptionally low, as I am struggling to eat, although it has to be said, today has not been as bad as previous days. Perhaps slowly I am getting better.

A

Anonymous

I hope your appetite improves more and more each day. Let`s face it, we don`t have to starve on low carb. I only had 5gs today as well. That was mainly because I had a lamb chop blow out :oops:

Defren

Jeannemum said:
I hope your appetite improves more and more each day. Let`s face it, we don`t have to starve on low carb. I only had 5gs today as well. That was mainly because I had a lamb chop blow out :oops:

I have no problem low carbing as I am not a huge fan of carbs anyway. The worst thing for me is crumpets (I have mentioned this before) but as I didn't buy any this week it's all good :D I love salad and veg, and as I can eat loads of meat and all types, then with a salad or loads of low carb veg I really do find it quite easy. I think it could depend on your diet pre diagnosis, mine although not perfect hence the diabetes complications has not been too hard to tweak and make very low carb. I feel healthier, and once i get weight loss to a sensible few pounds a week, I know it can only get better and better. Not keen on lamb chops, but lurve pork chops :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren: you said " the faster you lose weight, the quicker you put it back on"

I thought that was only if you went back to your old ways of eating after dieting.

A

Anonymous

I have no problem low carbing as I am not a huge fan of carbs anyway. The worst thing for me is crumpets (I have mentioned this before) but as I didn't buy any this week it's all good :D I love salad and veg, and as I can eat loads of meat and all types, then with a salad or loads of low carb veg I really do find it quite easy. I think it could depend on your diet pre diagnosis, mine although not perfect hence the diabetes complications has not been too hard to tweak and make very low carb. I feel healthier, and once i get weight loss to a sensible few pounds a week, I know it can only get better and better. Not keen on lamb chops, but lurve pork chops :D[/quote]

I loved bread, potatoes, chocolate, cake. Well, I am sure you get the picture. On the plus side I also like loads of other food as well. I just like eating. I do feel like I brought this onto myself to a great extent, even though I`ve read that isn`t true.

Anyway, the information man told us that being overweight caused diabetes.