Which test to confirm Type 2

ainz

Hi, i'm new here and hoping someone can help me.
My story so far:
4 weeks ago I moved house and registered with a new doctor. Part of the procedure was a full blood test. The results of the fasting blood test were:
Blood Sugar: 7.0
Cholesterol: 4.1
Blood pressure: 150/95

I was given tablets to lower my blood pressure and was told bluntly that I had Type 2 Diabetes. She arranged for me to see a Diabetic nurse for a week later. Obviously I was in a state of shock from this news and had a stressful week waiting for the nurse appointment. When it finally came I was told by the nurse, to my surprise, that i had NOT got Diabetes but there was a good chance i will get it in the future. I was sent on my way with diet, weight-loss and exercise advice and told to come back in 3 months for another blood test.
At this stage i have no idea if i have Diabetes or not. Nonetheless over the last 3 weeks I have dieted (low carb diet as recommended by members on this forum), lost weight (about 9kg) and increased exercise.

Also I invested in a blood testing kit so i could check BG myself.
The results are:
Pre dinner (evening main meal): 5.3 Average, (highest 6.0, lowest 4.8)
Post dinner 2 hrs: 5.5 Average (highest 6.4, lowest 5.0)

My question is; I'm due back to see the doctor next week because she wants me to start on Statins. What test(s) should i demand she does to confirm if i have or have not got Diabetes.

I accept there's a good chance i have but I need more accurate confirmation rather than just one random fasting blood test.

Any advice would be much appreciated by you kind (and knowledgeable people)

A

Anonymous

I had a fasting blood test, drank a glucose drink then followed two hours later by another test. That was repeated a few days later to confirm the diagnosis.. Hope that is of some help to you.

Grazer

You usually need 2 fasting tests to confirm diabetes. To be sure, you need either an oral glucose tolerance test or an HbA1c test ( simple blood test that can often be taken at the surgery but normally has to be sent off for results)
I wouldn't settle for a fasting BG for diagnosis. Now you're on a lower carb diet, you can't settle for a second fasting BG either! Lots of us diabetics get non-diabetic fasting BGs because of our diet.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
luckygran2 said:
why on earth would she want to start you on statins when your cholesterol levels are only 4

I was told exactly the same thing, one of the reasons why I told the doc I didn't want their medications and stormed out of the surgery!

Apparently it is something to do with diabetics having a higher risk of stroke and heart disease, though I can't quite see the connection myself if cholesterol levels are within limits.

luckygran2

i was told 6 years ago that i was type 2...the method used to test for diabetes was...i had to have a fasting blood test...go home have my usual breakfast eat a chocolate biscuit and drink a bottle of lucozade...then get another blood test 2 hours later...has anyone else been tested by this method

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Sounds very familiar, I think it is called a Glucose Tolerance Test? Sure if I'm wrong someone will put me right.

I was diagnosed just on a random blood test and that was it..the test was nothing to do with diabetes!

luckygran2

i'm not on medication...just diet and excersize....i never had any symptoms of diabetes...just a random blood test...sugar levels were high. so i had the fasting test...at the time i was on statins ...had been for a number of years....now we're being told statins can raise your blood sugar

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a lot of mis-information around about the need for statins. I suspect the reason for people with diabetes having a higher rate of heart problems etc is data from people who have badly controlled BS. If you have sensibly well-controlled BS then your risk of heart problems should be nearer to normal and with a cholesterol level of only 4 I would personally do without the statins but that's your choice. As others have said, a low carb diet is the key. You're doing the right thing by measuring your BS and your figures are very good and very near a 'normal' person so just keep up the low carb diet and your figures should stay good.

ainz

Thanks for the replies,

I think I'll ask for a HbA1c test as suggested but 1 question.
I understand this gives a reading for the previous 3 months. If i've been low carbing (with lowered BG levels) for 1 month will this put the overall result in question? i.e. I assume it will be lower than it would have been 1 month ago.

Also, was surprised when she said i would need statins.

iHs

Hi

I'm insulin dependant type 1 but from chatting the other day with my GP, I was told that an Hba1c test is now done routinely and is cheaper than a GTT.

As for statins, my GP will prescribe them if necessary. She would rather people change their diet first.....

Grazer

ainz said:
Thanks for the replies,

I think I'll ask for a HbA1c test as suggested but 1 question.
I understand this gives a reading for the previous 3 months. If i've been low carbing (with lowered BG levels) for 1 month will this put the overall result in question? i.e. I assume it will be lower than it would have been 1 month ago.

Also, was surprised when she said i would need statins.

It is a result of three months sugar levels, but heavily weighted towards last month. It will thus reflect your last months diet. Nonetheless, it's a good measure and if it's a non-diabetic reading you could then ask for an oral glucose test which is pretty definitive. Go for the A1c first and see. It's simple and If its over 6 then it's pretty slam dunk