Sugar free jelly sweets

louismum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
1 sugar free jelly
2 packs powdered gelatine

Makeup the sugar free jelly with 1/2 pint water
Add 2 sachets powdered gelatine
mix well

makes about 24 sweets ...I use silicone sweet moulds as the 'jellies' are easily turned out.

These are good when you just fancy that sweet 'kck'
I find they are best kept in the fridge as they stay firmer

Reactions: lorraine95

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't believe I never thought of this. You could even add some cream to the mix to make "creamy" sweets! (Remember milk/milkshake bottles???)

You're a genius. I'll definitely remember to try this. (Gotta be better than the commercially available SF jelly sweets that give you the trotts!!!)

louismum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I wondered about the cream idea patch but wondered if they would set as firm.

I have a box of blackcurrant and orange flavour in the fridge at the moment but lime jellies make yummy 'sweets'

Also I usually just eat the odd couple as it would be very easy to eat the equivalet of a whole jelly very quickly lol

Another thing, when I first made these I made them in an ice cube tray but they are much easier to turn out when made in the sweet moulds. You could try them in an ice cube tray first to see if you like them then if you do invest in the moulds. I got mine off ebay but some pound shops sell them.

Snodger

louismum said:
I seem to vaguely remember my mum making 'milky' versions of sf jelly and they did set ok. She used to add evaporated milk (or condensed. Whichever one isn't full of sugar, anyway). I am not guaranteeing that my memory serves me all that accurately mind you. But worth a try.

Eilean13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance and closed minds
I used to make sugar free 'frothy stuff' for my kids.

Basically any flavour jelly, but red is yummy with less water than required making up the rest with a small tin of carnation milk. When the jelly is at a good thick consistency, just before setting point, empty the carnation milk in and beat with an electric mixer until its really frothy. Should nearly double in volume. Put in the fridge to set. It should be a lovely soft mousse texture. The boys loved it.

Snodger

Eilean13 said:

Basically any flavour jelly, but red is yummy with less water than required making up the rest with a small tin of carnation milk. When the jelly is at a good thick consistency, just before setting point, empty the carnation milk in and beat with an electric mixer until its really frothy. Should nearly double in volume. Put in the fridge to set. It should be a lovely soft mousse texture. The boys loved it.

that's it exactly! my mum used to call it 'frothy stuff' too! thank you for that memory. :D

luckygran2

oh.my goodness...i must try this,,,,it sounds heavenly....i always have a sugar free jelly in the fridge....to have as a pudding after my dinner...but i never thought of making the jelly sweets....can't wait to try it ...thanks thanks thanks...

laroc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, can you please tell me if the gelatine is added straight from the packet or mixed with water first?
Thankyou
Carol

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eilean13 said:

We called it "flip". No idea why!

The sweets sound a good idea. Do you think they could be dipped in melted dark chocolate. Just a thought......
Or maybe mix melted chocolate through an orange or a lime jelly?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I remember making this as a sort of 'cake', the base was a biscuit base then the jelly and carnation swirled over and left to set.
Maybe the base could be an almond type crust.

LaughingHyena

I seem to vaguely remember my mum making 'milky' versions of sf jelly and they did set ok. She used to add evaporated milk (or condensed. Whichever one isn't full of sugar, anyway). I am not guaranteeing that my memory serves me all that accurately mind you. But worth a try.

I remember my mum making milk jelly too, I think with evaporated milk. Still quite a bit of sugar in that but not as much as condensed milk.

The good news is I've found it works pretty well with greek yogurt. I make up one sachet of sugar free jelly with 1/2 pint of water, then add a carton of greek yogurt (best to leave the jelly to cool a little first) It makes a nice desert and no to many carbs. It's more mouse like but I guess with extra gelatine you might get it to set like a sweet.

laroc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like to use the Hartleys sugar free jelly sachets, our favourite flavour is orange and I use a satsuma sliced up and cooked down gentley with a little sweetener in the base of a glass, the zest of the orange is added to the jelly which makes it more yummy.
A little custard made with half milk and half water goes on top and a sugar free dream topping on top of that.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Thanks for this post as I miss Haribo's and Green,orange and yellow wine Gums(I know most people prefer the red and black one's but heck I'm unusual!:D) and haven't had sweets since diagnosis,but these sound just the job!^^

pms543

louismum said:

I have a box of blackcurrant and orange flavour in the fridge at the moment but lime jellies make yummy 'sweets'

Also I usually just eat the odd couple as it would be very easy to eat the equivalet of a whole jelly very quickly lol

Another thing, when I first made these I made them in an ice cube tray but they are much easier to turn out when made in the sweet moulds. You could try them in an ice cube tray first to see if you like them then if you do invest in the moulds. I got mine off ebay but some pound shops sell them.

Have just made a batch and eagerly await their setting!

Did any one try making them with the cream added ?

How long would they keep in the fridge...?

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Going to try a recipe making jelly goodies with cocoa powder, coconut oil and gelatin powder (maybe some sweetener) and read that you could swoop the cocoa powder for raspberries. I'll come back with the recipe if they turn out good.