Honeymoon - typical symptoms?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi

I'm been battling with my Pancreas the last fortnight now as my glucose levels were hitting 12 - 18, despite not changing a thing in my routine. I've now nearly got the right basal/bolus balance, for now, basically an increase on both, surprise surprise. However things can still be unpredicatble and I sometimes need to second guess on the bolus so need to pare back the dosage a bit or use correctional dosages (not allowed on DAFNE yet).

I'm wondering about feeling very symptomatic at certain levels.

Levels of about 9/10 I feel tired, hot and irritable.

At 12/13 I feel nauseous and dizzy and it affects my ability to work. I find it hard to focus my eyes on something and follow instructions. People often comment when I'm rubbing my forehead and ask if I'm ok as I tend to start rubbing my forehead with my fingers. Is this a typical thing for Diabetics? To feel this strange sensation in their forehead? I feel thirsty/need to pee more.

Today I felt particularly bad and a work colleague who asked if I was ok at the time told me later she was very worried for me. She said I looked really pale and was moving around things on my desk very slowly, and then for unexplained reasons I got up and walked away....(I remember thinking I had to put some rubbish in the bin and get away from this person who just kept talking and I was concious I couldn't really talk much).

I tested and then took a correctional dose and what a difference in 15mins! I felt so energetic and productive again. My work mates were surprised at the change in my personality.

Are these unusual symptoms?

Sanober

Dislikes
Does no one have these experiences? :yawn:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I am meant to be LADA too, so far managed just with Gliclazide. A fortnight ago I had keyhole knee surgery and since then I have been feeling how you describe and my readings have gone up. My GP has added in metformin SR, just one a day, to try and get it back into range.

I feel exactly how you describe, hot, nauseous, dizzy and sort of drunk although I never drink! So I think you must be right, it is a reaction to rising levels. My GP only wants me to do morning fastings and they had risen to 8.2 instead of being in the mid sixes so not a drastic rise but as you will see from my siggy, my HBA1C had begun to creep up.

I am pleased to say a week after starting the metformin my reading was 6.9 today so that is a move in the right direction. My colleague commented that seeing me today and seeing me last week she didn't realise how pale I was last week, ooops. But things are far from right, I am exhausted all the time, my skin is so dry that from 10pm when I put moisturiser on to waking up I am like a walking lizard, bleurgh. I am pretty sure we are going to be heading in the direction of insulin sooner rather than later and when I report back to my GP a week tomorrow if I still don't feel right I will be discussing where we go from here with him. I can't function like this, I hate hate hate it and I want to feel alive again.

Ali

A

Anonymous

So maybe the honeymoon's over? :(
It's normal to not feel well when bs is too high, symptoms may vary but you're definitely not at your best when it reaches dual figures. I try to think of it as a friend, it's not good for you long-term to have high bs so here's someone telling you to get things sorted. Of course, this is what I think once I reach normal levels, while too high I'm just tired and moody :lol:

Sanober

Dislikes
Ali H said:
Hiya, I am meant to be LADA too, so far managed just with Gliclazide. A fortnight ago I had keyhole knee surgery and since then I have been feeling how you describe and my readings have gone up. My GP has added in metformin SR, just one a day, to try and get it back into range.

I feel exactly how you describe, hot, nauseous, dizzy and sort of drunk although I never drink! So I think you must be right, it is a reaction to rising levels. My GP only wants me to do morning fastings and they had risen to 8.2 instead of being in the mid sixes so not a drastic rise but as you will see from my siggy, my HBA1C had begun to creep up.

Ali

How odd, it was my Laproscopy in August that things went down hill for me too. I was officially diagnosed in November. I think the autoimmune system became even more active because of the op and started attacking my Pancreas further :twisted:

I just wonder why I feel so symptomatic when I read about T1 Diabetics who've admitted to not keeping good control...I can't get away with that really, if my sugars are up I feel ill. Even the Diabetes consultant mentioned I seem to be very symptomatic for my glucose range before I started treatment.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wish I knew, felt rough all day today luckily not at work. I will do some readings tomorrow I think and badger GP on Friday if this carries on. I feel dreadful all the time.

Ali

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
8.4 after 11 hour fast, metformin not working is it. Sigh.

Ali

artyfarty30

Hi Snober,

You've described my symptoms down to a T (no pun intended :D )When my BG levels are high, I feel nauseous, unable to concentrate and have found ketones in my wee. Lows make me cranky, shaky and all the other fun bits. I'm back on insulin again after going through 4 weeks honeymoon phase and I feel all over the place. I've had an awful week last week with BG levels being high as 16, to low as 4.7. Food that were working well for me before give me spikes and I've lost more weight as I'm low carbing again and I wont even start on the state of my skin and friends/family/work colleagues keep looking and telling me I look pale and skinny. I'm taking a day off work tomorrow to sleep :D

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Halved carbs since Friday to no avail, 13.1 three hours after tea. Had enough now.

Ali

Juicy jus

Am honeymooning too as diagnosed t1 2 months ago - still taking basal 4 times a day but doses are between 2-4 with each mean still get highs which leave me knackered but usually with too much wine and pizza !! (night off) am looking into taking vitamins to protect my immune system and stop the attack on the pancreas so interested to know if anyone else is trying to boost their immune system ??

SAH154

People are different but mine used to need to be above 15-18 to get those symptoms and below 15 no glucose in my urine but I also noticed that very high BS say 20+ used to sometimes feel a bit like a hypo and without testing BS I could have eaten as if I had a hypo

Sanober

Dislikes
SAH154 said:
People are different but mine used to need to be above 15-18 to get those symptoms and below 15 no glucose in my urine but I also noticed that very high BS say 20+ used to sometimes feel a bit like a hypo and without testing BS I could have eaten as if I had a hypo

Hi there

funnily enough I do have the odd occasions when I think I'm getting the early signs of hypo only to test and I'm actually high. I do seem to be very sensitive to the highs (and lows of even 6 and below I don't feel great, very tired and a funny sensation in my brain on the left side/forehead)

For now my happy range seems to be 7- 9. At 7, I'm so euophoric and energised and feel I can take on anything! 7 is my lucky number :lol:

The D nurse keeps on telling me it's MY Diabetes, no one else's and everyone's different. Oh well, unique for now then.