Site absorption issue?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm slowly getting better at pumping and becoming much less anxious. Since New Year I haven't fired my iset into the air pre insertion and so far I haven't had any kinks :D

However today I am having weird readings post blous and wondering if the site is not working as it should. I changed set yesterday and all seemed fine. The inset is a good 2 inches below my belly button and slightly to one side. When I use this area it often feels stingy to bolus (more than usual) but normally works ok.

Woke up at 4.4 and had my Mothers Day brekkie. Normally I would eat porridge 25g but today I had 2 savoury muffins with eggs and bacon 44g. I gave the bolus and put a little temp basal as was bigger carbs than usual.

1.5 hours later I felt sick BG 10.7 I didn't panic for once and increased basal and bolused a little more. An hour later 11.7

Did have to change my pump battery but doubt that has anything to do with it.

So I haven't panicked (hard for me as I have an anxiety problem) but I have again bolused a little more and am waiting.

Any thoughts and opinions gratefully accepted! Maybe I need to try 9mm sets incetad of 6mm in this area but that wont help now as I only have 6mm. Should I change sets or try and wait out the 3 days?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To update 3.5 hours post breakfast BG 9.4 so set is working but these are very high levels for me. I'm normally under 8 so not enjoying this.

Supposed to be going out for lunch, which I will still do but now will be a little worried about BG when eating. Will bolus in little bits and have large temp basal on too.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I thought you ordered a box of 8mm contact D's What happened with them?
Personally I just think you used the wrong bolus for the food consumed :)

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carbsrok I do have the box of 8mm but haven't used them yet as still nervous about them and since your advice I have been doing so much better. I do need to try and calm down and also to have more faith in the pump. As I'm not getting kinking issues and most changes are going smoother too I decided to stick with Insets at the moment as easier to only change every 3rd day.

However this area I'm using now is always a little funny and I wondered if a 9mm there might work better. There is more "flab" there than my other areas :lol: The other option of course would be to try the steels there.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Mushy,
if you have problems in that area then give it a miss for a while so no scar tissue builds up. Perhaps your body is trying to tell you something? :)

onlytwintip

Hi,

I had the same problem quite frequently before. If you don't vary the insertion site then you will end up getting scar tissue which will prevent the insulin from being well absorbed. Another way of getting bad scar tissue is if you don't change the site every 3-4 days (I used to keep it for more like 7 days as I didn't know this). It's quite a dangerous thing as I tend to just keep bolusing thinking I ate too many carbs when in fact the insulin is just being absorbed very slowly...
Oh and yes, when I was getting this I also changed from 6mm to 9mm just to be sure.
Obviously there's always the possibility of it being kinked. My philosophy is that if in doubt just change the set...

Hope this helps a bit. Take care

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone :)

I rotate very carefully in a set order and always change set every 3rd day unless I'm ill or need to leave set extra day to move cannula change for special events. I've only been pumping 18 months and never injected this area so not sure why this is happening. I can avoid it but it takes 2 set sites out of my rotation which is annoying as I don't have mnay areas.

I'm sure there is something about this set though as every bolus has needed loads more insulin and a big temp basal but normal basals are fine. We'll see if things improve tomorrow after my set change!