Pump + Excersise question

Chalky1983

Good evening,

i am considering a pump, thinking it'll make my life a bit easier. i have a good hb1c but kinda bored of the continously injecting.. only problem is im quite active so not sure how it would fit in excersise wise, like i like to do crunches/sit ups and different excersises. how do people deal with that? n gym work in general...
thinking of going for the medtronic to, quite like the thought of the continous blood testing if i can get hold off one

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump helps me enormously with exercise because I can set a reduced basal rate which helps reduce, though hasn't eliminated, the hypos I have during exercise. If I were better at setting a time for exercise and reducing the basal in advance, then there would be even less but I'm not disciplined enough.
I do pilates and I have had the odd occasion when I've found that the cannula has been in a place that has hurt a bit. More so when I've just changed it. I avoid my stomach in any case, as I now (didn't at first)itchy red skin if I place the set there . I tend to use thighs, hips and bum mostly now
I normally wear my pump clipped at my waistband and that just needs swivelling round if it gets in the way. I remember when I started using it, I could feel it bouncing whilst running but I seem to be used to it now as it doesn't bother me now.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Chalky1983 said:
Good evening,

i am considering a pump, thinking it'll make my life a bit easier. i have a good hb1c but kinda bored of the continously injecting.. only problem is im quite active so not sure how it would fit in excersise wise, like i like to do crunches/sit ups and different excersises. how do people deal with that? n gym work in general...
thinking of going for the medtronic to, quite like the thought of the continous blood testing if i can get hold off one

Not sure being kinda bored with injecting meets NICE guidelines :lol:
CGM anyone can get hold of one as long as you have the funds to pay for it as it's non prescription :)

Cheryl

You do need to meet NICE criteria to get a pump, but I can attest to the benefits of a pump & exercise. I've just returned from my skiing holidays & the ease with which I am able to adjust my basal insulin to about 20% below norm during the skiing day & 10% below norm overnight to deal with all those extra calories being burned makes a big difference. Also, the tea & cake provided each day can be dealt with without more injections, so can the odd vin chaud (always sweet) on the slopes.
I have CGM (not NHS funded) & didn't use it while skiing, but still maintained pretty good levels.

CGM

Cheryl

Sorry, hit submit half way through.....

CGM is expensive, an initial cost of about £750 if purchased as part of a pump package, then £250 per month thereafter if you use it all the time, which is why I don't.

I swim too & the pump is helpful in getting my post exercise levels right. Only one pump (Animas Vibe) can be worn in the pool though.

You can get all sorts of cases to hold the pump, including ones specifically designed for sports use e.g. there is one which holds the pump between your shoulder blades, right out the way unless you're taking part in judo!