starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
ivenoidea this is the first step, keep going the results are amazing, into a pair of 34"" jeans tonight and a medium top for first time in 20 years, feel great even my wife said dont lose anymore as im starting to look gaunt!!!!!!!

Only time i thought id ever look gaunt when i was in my box lol

Ivenoidea

Thanks for the encouragement Geordie, 2nd day in and feeling ok. I had my blood test back this morning from the last 3 months and it was 6, when I was first diagnosed I was 9.8 and the one before this was 5.8 so I know it is pretty low anyway.
I've been feeling a bit tired, also pretty much a constant headache and now my legs are aching !! but I'm sure it will pass in a couple of days. I had a vegetable stir fry for dinner tonight which was really filling and I was surprised at how much 250g of vegetables go, and managed to drink 3 litres of water as well through the day.
Levels before meals are really good as they are down to 4.5 almost every test, so looking good so far.

kward69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Two weeks post diet now, back to the hospital tomorrow for my GTT and HAB1c - feeling pretty nervous to be honest. Fingers crossed!

daintytweety

IVENOIDEA why does it have to be Optifast?why not slimfast?
after Easter i want to start SLIMFAST,i am on victoza,and i think my sugars will start going down,but i dont know how to reduce my tablets.

Ivenoidea

Hi Daintytweety,

I have used optifast as this is what was used during the Newcastle diet trial, it sounds as though I have been lucky to get it off my GP as a prescription, when I went to see him about the diet he had never heard of it before so I left him all the information and after a couple of weeks went back and, he said no problem and he wants me in every week to see how I'm doing!!

Geordie90 who started this post and others have used Slimfast with fantastic results so I'd give it a go or try your GP for optifast.

Its only day 4 so early days yet, but I have already started noticing what my bad habits were, I didn't think I had a big appetite but I have noticed how much I would be grazing as well, I used to tell people I was on two diets because one wasn't enough and but now I'm beginning to think I actually was.

daintytweety

Dear IVENOIDEA
what does it taste like?
is it sickening?i used to have by the hospital,i cant remember the name.Now they sell it in all chemist ,and dont do it in hospitals.
I am considering slimfast.
Thanks

Ivenoidea

Hi Daintytweety,

My friend is doing a similar diet using Optislim shakes and she says that they taste vile as they are very sweet, I have a sweet tooth and the optifast ones are much less sweet but might still be too sweet for some as my wife had a taste and were still too sweet for her. (I wonder how many times I can get the words taste and sweet into a sentence??) You can only get Optifast on prescription from Lloyds Pharmacy (and there are only 4 different flavours) so you would need your GP's support.

Immis

Ok Guys,

This is it...the end of my newcastle diet.

The final results are:

Weight: 90.7kg starting 111.7kg, so a total loss of 21kg or just under 3.5 stone
Body fat has dropped from 34.5% to 23.5%
Visceral fat has gone from 14 to 8 on my Tanita body scales
BMI has gone down from 32.5 (well in the obese) to 26.4 (just over the normal range)
I've never had to take a diabetic medicine since I started and my average FBG is now 4.8
I'm going to carry on with exercise and portion control (have ordered the diet plate to help) and maybe one shake a day for either lunch or dinner.

I'm off in an hour to Gaucho's for a lovely steak for my first proper meal and a couple of glasses of red.

Thanks for all you support and posts, it really helped me through it.

Ivenoidea

That really is amazing Immis, well done, you should be really proud of yourself and that is such a big Inspiration to me as I'm only 5 days in. It has already slowly got easier but the next 7 and a bit weeks seem so far away, how do you feel now you have finished?

Immis

Ivenoidea, it feels very exciting, like the start of a new life.
It's not been easy, I didn't deviate by one mouthful or drop of liquid, but I couldn't have done it without the support of my wife.
It's also scary, as I get ready to go and have my first meal, I'm thinking that I do not want to go back to the way I was before.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Immis outstanding results, put me to shame on weight loss front still just over 2 stone lost but dropped three trousers sizes, into 34's for first time in twenty years, sugars still stable but still learning what i can and cant eat now im finished but still averaging mid 5's

The steak will taste great trust me lol mine did

Ivenoidea stick at it and you too will be impressed, ive never felt better and much fitter than before, i will post my HBA1c figures in a couple of weeks, get bloods taken on wed coming then results on 6th April, expecting big drop.

This is just the start tbh me and my pal at work have set another two month goal to lose a further stone and i will probably stop there tbh im happy now but want to get a bit more off just to see how much different i feel

Immis

Thank you Geordie, actually I'm quite jealous that you can get into 34s. I'd be over the moon if I could get into 36s. I too want to go for another 1-1.5 stone, just feel if I am this close why not go all the way.

Last night had half a chorizo sausage, 300g steak, mushroom sauce, mixed veg, brocolli, and a handful of chips, with 3 glasses of red wine.

This morning FBG was 4.7 !!!!

Mind you, I was drunk on that amount of booze, usually would have taken most of a bottle of whiskey !!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Immis
All good , excellent BG's and a cheap date too lol
Yes I have found that i now get extremely drunk on the sniff of the barmaids apron. But it is fun though

Stick at it and youll get in the 34's, it just gives you so many more options when buying clothes lol

Im onto phase two now, the slowing down phase, still want to lose another stone but have set myself a target of two months to do it, modifying the diet slightly but its basically the same but with a bit of white meat or fish added.

Going to throw all my big clothes away or at least take them to a carboot sale next week free some space in wardrobe

Ivenoidea

WOW, Just been for my first weekly checkup at the Doctor's and I've lost 9lbs !!!! (thought I'd lost 11lbs but worked it out wrong)I know most of it will probably be water and next week I'm expecting a lot less. My blood pressure was 128/76, the nurse said they like Diabetics to be below 80 which to be honest I almost was any way but I can already see and feel a difference,
I went away this weekend with a couple of mates and while they had pizza and chocolate nothing passed my lips, what I did realize was how much I would have had if I wasn't on the diet. Almost every test I do is down to the low 4's as well so I'm feeling really positive. Still seems a long way to the end but it will be worth it I'm sure.

Immis

Guys,

To those who have finished the diet...

Did anyone notice an increase in FBG when coming off the diet.

The first day was ok for me at 4.7.
The 2nd day was 6.3 and todays was 6.4.

Diet portions have been low, although it did consist of some fried indian food (samosas, spring rolls) and kebabs. I did have some wine on the first day, which didn't seem to do anything to my bg but I did have 2 glasses of whisky on both other nights (with a little water).

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
immis
I think you have to be mindful of the fact that you cannot return to the way u used to eat or your sugars will rise.

Have everything in moderation and what ive done is try to stick to slimfast twice a day then a balanced meal with low carbs and my weight is still dropping and my sugars are good, in fact ive had a 3.2 and a 3.5 over the last week.

I think everyone is entitled once theyve finished the diet to have a slip or two but they need to be watched and monitored or its the slippery slope

Immis stick at it, moderate your diet and im sure things will stay stable

hilsonpills

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone :)
well Ive been slogging on with the newcastle regime...and have to admit its not been as hard as I thought it might be yay! The inclusion of veg's is really helpful. Ive been using exante meal replacements (soups and milkshakes) very yummy.
First visit to the docs and in 3 weeks id lost just under 1 stone ! Blood pressure is still a wee bit high so they have upped my ramapiril to 10 mg. Still taking metformin (2000mg a day) and sitagliptin...would SO love to get off the medications at some point.
My levels this week have really started to go down...5.5 today...5.6 yesterday...(thats from 17 pre-diet) Im thrilled ! I have also added in a little exercise..nothing huge..just walking the pooch...it does seem to help a lot though.
Great to hear that everythings going to plan for you geordie...well done..you really are an inspiration :clap:

I shoot Nikons

I'm on my second day if the diet and so far it's not been anywhere near as hard as I was expecting. Did anyone alter their meds during the diet? I'm on 2000mg Metformin and 15mg Pioglitazone so a bit of foresight into potential pitfalls would be welcome.