dr thinks i'm not diabetic but i think i may be pre diabetic

KatieCat

hi everyone, well where do I start. I'm feeling quite anxious and seeking reassurance/guidance if possible please. I'm 39 years old and I have a wonderful husband and adorable 5 month old son. I was overweight when I became pregnant and gradually went into the obese bracket though I only put on a stone and a half in total. I'm still obese and my BMI is 32. There is a history of type 2 diabetes on my mother and father's side of the family. After taking a GTT test I was diagnosed as having gestational diabetes. Fasting result 5.4 (which is I believe the top end of 'normal' )and 2 hour result 8.7. I controlled it largely by diet for a while though it was a very low carb diet and my blood results pre and after eating were usually good (below target) but I ended up having a few ketones in urine so was advised to up the carbs and go on insulin which I did (ketones went). My fasting results usually 4s or occasionally low 5s but sometimes my post prandial went up to 9 though usually I kept it below target with the help of insulin. Stopped insulin as soon as I had given birth.
I was advised to take another GTT test 8 weeks after giving birth. Fasting result 5.4, 2 hour result 2.8 very low almost hypo but i had drunk 2 litres of water in between, probably subconsciously because i didn't want a high result. The hospital described these results as normal but i'm not so sure. Maybe I went really high and then had a reactive low?? Not a doctor so no idea really. I didn't think any more of it until I started to feel thirsty during the night and feel not quite right after a big meal, nauseous and tired. A few days ago after eating a lasagna, jacket potato and garlic bread at my in laws I got out my old testing kit and the result was 8.3 that was 3 hours since the start of the meal. For the last few days, my before breakfast readings have been higher than normal ranging from 5.3 to 6.7. Went to the docs this week and will go for a HBA1C on Friday. Really anxious as I think result will be pre diabetic or even diabetic. Would be grateful for any advice, reassurance guidance on how to cope as I'm feeling quite low because after reading about all the possible complications I'm afraid I won't be around long enough for my darling son and my husband. Or is that a silly thought, given the treatments available for diabetes. I'm such a worrier, I have been getting tingling feeling on my face and scalp, is that neuropathy? Or could it be symptoms of anxiety and stress? I'm sorry if I sound very over reactive and anxious but really could do with some advice.

KatieCat

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Re: dr thinks i'm not diabetic but i think i may be pre diab

Hi KatieCat

I think you're being overly anxious but not surprising if you have a 5 month old son who you want to be there for. I'm afraid no one on the forum can do any kind of diagnosis and if you are really worried you should go back and talk to your doctor some more. Saying that here is my totally non health care professional viewpoint...

a lasagna, jacket potato and garlic bread at my in laws I got out my old testing kit and the result was 8.3 that was 3 hours

Most of us would kill for a score of 8.3 after eating that lot :lol: yes it is JUST outside the normal range but I would guess the majority of the countries population would get somewhere similar.

It does seem your fasting levels in the morning are SLIGHTLY raised. To be blunt they've probably done that as a reaction to you putting on weight as your insulin resistance will have increased making it harder for your body to get rid of the glucose your liver will have put into your bloodstream in the early hours while you were asleep. Livers do that in everybody as a means of giving you enough energy for when you wake up. If you have raised your insulin resistance because of your weight that could easily account for why your BG's are SLIGHTLY raised. If you lose the weight then I'm sure your levels will come down because your insulin resistance will drop back towards normal.

Think of it as a warning that you should lose a bit of weight. If you were anywhere near approaching full T2D I would say you uber carb meal at your in laws would have taken you well above 8.3

Take care

KatieCat

hi xyzzy, thanks for your kind, reassuring and informative message! Have my hba1c on Friday so will see what that comes up with. Yes, I've never had a better incentive to lose weight. I've read that change in diet and moderate weight loss (if needed that is, as there are many diabetics who are not overweight like me) can lower blood glucose considerably to a more ideal range. I have 3 to 4 stone to lose to get into healthy weight range so I'll be getting my swimming costume out from the cupboard and make a start with a low carb diet! Thanks again for your message :). Take care, Katie

lister

Dislikes
people with no sense of humor rude people (being 50 lol)

xyzzy said:
Hi KatieCat

I think you're being overly anxious but not surprising if you have a 5 month old son who you want to be there for. I'm afraid no one on the forum can do any kind of diagnosis and if you are really worried you should go back and talk to your doctor some more. Saying that here is my totally non health care professional viewpoint...

a lasagna, jacket potato and garlic bread at my in laws I got out my old testing kit and the result was 8.3 that was 3 hours

Most of us would kill for a score of 8.3 after eating that lot :lol: yes it is JUST outside the normal range but I would guess the majority of the countries population would get somewhere similar.

It does seem your fasting levels in the morning are SLIGHTLY raised. To be blunt they've probably done that as a reaction to you putting on weight as your insulin resistance will have increased making it harder for your body to get rid of the glucose your liver will have put into your bloodstream in the early hours while you were asleep. Livers do that in everybody as a means of giving you enough energy for when you wake up. If you have raised your insulin resistance because of your weight that could easily account for why your BG's are SLIGHTLY raised. If you lose the weight then I'm sure your levels will come down because your insulin resistance will drop back towards normal.

Think of it as a warning that you should lose a bit of weight. If you were anywhere near approaching full T2D I would say you uber carb meal at your in laws would have taken you well above 8.3

Take care
bang on in my opinion very good advice.
take care KatieCat :thumbup:

KatieCat

My hbac1 is 44 mmol or (i think using an online converter 6.17%). Now the dr says this means I am not diabetic and the result is entirely normal! However from looking online I can see that pre diabetes is diagnosed with results of 5.7% to 6.4% and that diabetes is diagnosed with results of 6.5% or above. So technically I think I'm pre diabetic but the doctor perhaps didn't want to worry me. She just said I'm not diabetic and the results are nothing to worry about! What does anyone think? I am obese, not hugely but still obese, so hoping that losing 3 to 4 stone with help return my bg levels to a more normal range. Would be grateful if anyone has any advice. This is a great site for support and info :).

lister

Dislikes

personally in your shoes i would try to lose a little weight and just take it as an early warning
good luck and enjoy life but enjoy a healthy lifestyle. :)

KatieCat

Thanks Lister :). Am doing 30 mins of exercise a day now so that's a start and trying out a low gi diet.

Grazer

Hi Katiecat! Seems to me that all of your readings are "on the edge". I agree with xyzzy- you need to lose weight QUICKLY before it becomes a definite disgnosis. You could probably do with following some of the low carb diets you'll see on here. That will get the weight off. Eat as though you ARE diabetic, and the alternative to being strict is serious complications. I'd stay low carb until you got down to a good weight AND a follow up HbA1c test gives you a reading in the 5s.
Good luck.

KatieCat

Thanks Grazer, I have started to eat as if I am diabetic (like you I used to be a chocoholic but no more chocolate for me at least not until I'm back to a healthy weight and even then I'll only have it as a special treat!). As far as complications are concerned, I'm hoping that I've been diagnosed as pre diabetic early enough for me to sort myself out and avoid complications if at all possible. I've only become obese in the last year when I was pregnant so hopefully will lose the weight fairly quickly. Going to have another hba1c after I've lost a couple of stone so fingers crossed. :)

lister

Dislikes

great news KatieCat,
sounds like your heading in the right direction keep it up we all know it's not easy but making the changes now can make a huge difference.
i lost about 4 and a half stone and see some changes for the better and believe me if i have managed to lose some weight then so can many as i loved my italian food with a passion. :D
i've managed to bring my morning levels down to between 5 and 6.7 mmol
WELL DONE TO YOU for recognising and dealing with it now :thumbup:

KatieCat

Thanks for the encouragement Lister...and well done on your amazing weight loss :D and fasting results. I need to lose 3 to 4 stone and am determined to do so!

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Losing weight is always a good idea to help make your body more sensitive to insulin as well as regular exercise. By regular exercise I mean things like walking or dancing, not going to the gym. I only wish I had the luxury of be diagnosed as prediabetic, but it's all about insulin resistance and reversing it. Now is the time to take action and you can do it! I've just lost 24 lbs. in 28 days, almost a lb. a day. by just lowering my insulin levels. If insulin levels are high I gain weight, when low I can do this kind of weight loss and actually don't feel deprived of food. I'm probably eating more than I had been, just a different selection of foods. The glycemic loads of the foods you eat is what's the most important, also trying to increase you sensitivity to insulin by diet and exercise, and reducing insulin levels, seems to be the key. Some foods can be even more effective than diabetes drugs and no bad side effects, other than losing weight which for us seems to be helpful and boosts self esteem. Besides, the women at dance say I look hot now.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

robertconroy said:
Losing weight is always a good idea to help make your body more sensitive to insulin as well as regular exercise. By regular exercise I mean things like walking or dancing, not going to the gym. I only wish I had the luxury of be diagnosed as prediabetic, but it's all about insulin resistance and reversing it. Now is the time to take action and you can do it! I've just lost 24 lbs. in 28 days, almost a lb. a day. by just lowering my insulin levels. If insulin levels are high I gain weight, when low I can do this kind of weight loss and actually don't feel deprived of food. I'm probably eating more than I had been, just a different selection of foods. The glycemic loads of the foods you eat is what's the most important, also trying to increase you sensitivity to insulin by diet and exercise, and reducing insulin levels, seems to be the key. Some foods can be even more effective than diabetes drugs and no bad side effects, other than losing weight which for us seems to be helpful and boosts self esteem. Besides, the women at dance say I look hot now.

Yes you said the same thing yesterday...

You sound like an advertisement...

We do know about GI and insulin resistance and low carbs and lots of stuff. Have a look at my signature for my A1c % and you'll see how good many of us are at this game. If you want to join in then I would suggest not just posting random stuff in random threads.

I hope you aren't implying that purely by reversing insulin resistance a T2 will cure themselves. What about Beta cell damage that certainly isn't reversible.

I'm glad you look "hot" when you dance perhaps we can all get to see that one day.