Do you inject in public? and how organised are you

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have no problems injecting in public, I've even done this in the supermarket aisle when I wanted to bolus for a snack on our way round the supermarket as I couldn't wait til we got out!
I've tested in public too, that's a bit more noticeable because the machine bleeps but I have a little pencil case that I keep my test stips, lancet, machine and insulin pens in and I can kind of keep everything in the case so it's not too obvious.
I'm guilty of injecting through my clothes, never seems to do me any harm alhtough I know it's not recommended.
I don't really care too much if people stare, I'll just stare back, but it doesn't seem to happen, I think because I am so subtle about it and just do it in my thigh when no one looking.
When I started carrying my kit around with me I thought I'd treat myself to a really nice pencil case so got a lovely leather one from John Lewis. Unfortunatly after about a year it had loads of blood stains on it from where I'd pricked my finger and then touched the case, but I have a new one now!
I don't know how I'd manage if I wasn't a woman though - how do the menfolk carry their kit around, do you have a 'man-bag'?

I inject through my clothes all the time, get my belly out etc. Perhaps i should care more but i don't! I manage my condition not the other way round if the world cannot handle little old me doing an injection once in a while then tough! I haven't had much grief when injecting in public although in a previous job working for a local authority in the East Midlands a Local Councillor said to his cronies that I probably had aids and if he stood too close he could catch what I had!......charming!
With regard to carrying my kit around I got a DeSang kit bag. Tough as nails and organises all the kit a type 1 needs to carry about that then goes into my Dasterdly and Muttley man bag.......NICE!

st1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do inject in public and I keep my blood glucose meter and accessories in a travel soap dish container and my insulin pen in a travel toothbrush tube when I travel anywhere. Works perfectly well for me

stephenT2

When I was on Byetta (now Bydureon), I had no qualms whatsoever injecting in public. As has already been mentioned, if women can take their breasts out to feed their baby (an action now protected in law), I can certainly feel comfortable sticking a needle in me for a few seconds!

I've never had an issue no matter where I've been, anywhere from an airport concourse, to restaurants, concerts etc. It's definitely not something I am ashamed of...

TheShedle

My husband (who is type 1 and a lorry driver) has injected in just about every service station in the UK as well as hundreds of different places but never in a toilet. Our view has always been that injecting in the toilets is implying you have something to hide, as well as exposing yourself to extra bacteria unnecessarily (have you seen how much bacteria hits the air when a toilet is flushed with the lid up? :shock: ). He's had a few odd looks and a couple of people who have either questioned what he's doing or made a fool of themselves by assuming it is something illegal. Why should diabetics have to hide away or be ashamed of a condition they didn't choose to have? At least with pen devices there is no drawing up insulin from a vial any more, now THAT did raise a few eyebrows :lol:

As I have chronic pancreatitis I've been told my chances of joining him on insulin are very high but I am determined that I will follow his example and treat insulin as something I need and not something to be ashamed of needing. As it is, when we go out for a meal his insulin bag and my tablet box (I have Creon to digest food) are the first things onto the table, even before we order 8)

When he got his latest meter (Accu-chek mobile) he was able to get a leather look zip up case from their website free, this is the perfect size to hold his meter, a spare cassette, spare needles and both his insulin pens (Humalog and Lantus Solostar) but he also has a small "man-bag" which is used to carry extra spares when he's likely to be on the road for some time. The insulin is stored in the cab fridge normally. His "man bag" is actually a small camera case with a long strap but he has used wash bags and pencil cases in the past.

sjmiles

When I was first diagnosed (18mnths ago) I was worried about injecting in public but now I just get on with it. I inject into my stomach so just have to lift up my top slightly to find a spot. However, I do try to be discrete and don't make a big point out of it. Last night I was at Old Trafford for the Man Utd game and had to have a couple of injections before and after the game so did these sat in my seat. Nobody around me seemed too bothered!

I have a small rectangular type travel pouch with a number of pockets that suites all my kit really well. I then tend to carry this in a small but cool man-bag. Having diabetes gave me an excuse to have a man-bag and they are so useful that I wouldn't go back! I have found that if I am out on an evening and don't want to carry a bag, provided it is cool, I can carry most of the stuff I will need in my coat pockets.

Someone early asked whether they would have to carry a sharpie type box around with them. I have got around this by using a small paracetamol plastic container you sometimes get tablets in to carry my used sharps around inside my kit bag. When it is full I will empty it into my big sharp box at home.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd like to make one comment on the breastfeeding in public thing and there it will end. along with some wonderful support, I have seen here some frankly ignorant and downright rude comments about this subject and I just want to say a few words.

When it comes to breastfeeding out there, in front of others who don't, I think you'll find not one woman who breastfeeds their baby wants anyone to see their breasts. Most of the time you won't even realise unless said woman is feeding and enjoying a cuppa in a cafe somewhere and even then, it's only because you have time to look and realise.
The same as injecting at a table, if joe public doesn't like it then don't look.

There is one caveat to this and it's mine; should one person object, make disparaging remarks, tut tut noises or complains to manangement, I will remove my coat, shawl, cardi or whatever else I have on and show you what you really think you saw.

The alternative would be to feed the baby an artificial formula which significantly increases the babys chance of developing diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, asthma, obesity, eczema, glue ear and GI problems to name but a few.

wiflib
ps. my eldest is almost 29. I did this once to two women who were complaining loudly and using words like 'disgusting'. At the time, I was sat on a corner table, facing the corner, with a shawl around my shoulders, partially covering my tiny newborn.

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i always nip to the loo when i inject as i don't like getting my belly out in public. however, after going to the eng v ire rugby game at twickenham on st. patrick's day, i decided to grab something to eat on the way to the station and decided to inject once i got there. i figured that was better than waiting to inject and then finding i couldn't get any food!
after being herded to the correct platform, i asked where the ladies toilets were to be told there weren't any on this particular platform - and as i wasn't heading to london, wasn't allowed on the other platform!! so, got hubby and friend to make a barrier and injected there on the platform.

have to say don't think anyone noticed but i ithink that had more to do with alcohol consuption than anything else. not sure i'd have felt as relaxed doing it in 'normal' circumstances but that has more to do with my own body issues than anyone else i think.

Senga

Yes I inject discreetly in public places and as yet have had no problems.
My handbag is not organised so recently I bought a little first aid bag from the pound shop it is about the size of a make up bag, bright green with white cross. Easy to find in my handbag. I was also thinking if I did collapse it would be easier for someone to find in my bag.

stephenT2

There is one caveat to this and it's mine; should one person object, make disparaging remarks, tut tut noises or complains to manangement, I will remove my coat, shawl, cardi or whatever else I have on and show you what you really think you saw.

This is an interesting perspective, and one I think deserves further research. I would like to witness the reaction of the general public on this action should the occassion arise, and you need to follow through your clothing removal. I would be delighted to start the 'tut tut' should you need a volunteer, all in the case of scientific research you understand. :D

Becky1992

Just thought I would pipe up!
A few people have expressed their opinions to me that they think I should inject in private. My view on it is that I am not choosing to do injections, I have to. You wouldn't ask an asthmatic to use go to the toilet to use their inhaler. Don't get me wrong, I don't wave my needles around. I always do it discretely but if people have a problem with my injecting in public they are welcome to come and talk to me about it. :)

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
today i took a step at trying to be more brave...i did not inject in public but it was time to test my +2hr after breakfast and i tested in the coffee shop i was in...did not feel wierd and noone seemed to look at me....

krisjwoody

Don't think it's really fair on the people who see you put a needle into yourself. Some find needles very distressing and most find it unpleasant to watch. And i wouldn't be surprised if some people thought you were injecting yourself with something illegal!!

But saying that, if it needs to be done it needs to be done! Don't be ashamed!!

xxmush1983xx

My 5 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed, and I am of the opinion that there is nothing to be ashamed of, I see her pens and insulin as her portable pancreas! I refused to breastfeed her in the toilets, and 5 years later I refuse to inject her in the toilets. Injecting insulin is normality to her now, and i don't see why i should make it something dirty and hidden :)

My child was diagnosed at 8 years old and experienced discrimination a couple of weeks after by her brownie leader! This woman had diabetic family who never tested their levels in front of her let alone inject. If they had of perhaps my daughter would not of been subjected to the ignorance and disgust from this woman. The diabetic team encouraged my daughter to test her levels whenever and wherever she may be when she felt the need. 5 years on I always encourage the same but she's at an age where she prefers to just get on with it discreetly, not because she's embarrassed she just doesn't like being different. If her peers do ask questions she will welcome their interest. I feel that educating children from an early age about any disability or illness is a good thing which will dispel any fears and hopefully their new found knowledge will carry into adulthood. The diabetic team spoke to the whole school in assembly about diabetes and what a diabetic needs to do and how important it is. It encouraged a lot of questions and interest which made my daughter happier knowing that her friends would be more understanding. Raising awareness is what we should all be doing, how else can funds be raised to pay for research if no-one is aware of aware of it? We've also got to do the same for the coeliac society as she also has this allergy! I have however just got a new Italian restaurant opening in a couple of weeks to agree to use all gluten and wheat free products for it's entire menu so that's a start. Good luck everyone with managing this life changing illness and educate those ignorant tutters!

stevie24

I have a man bag for work, I always inject and test in public, restaurants, at work at my desk etc, colleagues are aware of my diabetes and I have never experienced any unpleasantness from anyone, although theres still time lol! One my mates has a needle phobia though, so if we're out he goes to the toilet whilst I inject in public lol!

thetallerpaul

Hello all,

I think both injecting and breastfeeding in public I feel the same way about (as well as a lot of other necesary but not socially inclusive actions like changing my daughter for example). While my wife did feed and I do inject in public when we need to, and I see no issue with it, I always feel a consideration for others feelings regardless of not you agree is important. If you can be more discrete and not risk making others feel uncomfortable why would you not? For example if I need to inject at work I will do it when I go to the loo, doesn't put me out at all and removes the risk of upsetting others. It was the same with feeding, if we can go to the cafe 10 minutes late and feed my daughter at home before we go why would you not? If we were still out at the time of the next feed we wouldn't go and hide in a bathroom or something and in that case people would have to deal with it. For me its about having to vs wanting to. I will inject in public if I have to, but I don't actively want to. I'm not sure that is the case with some people.

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
stevie24 said:
I have a man bag for work, I always inject and test in public, restaurants, at work at my desk etc, colleagues are aware of my diabetes and I have never experienced any unpleasantness from anyone, although theres still time lol! One my mates has a needle phobia though, so if we're out he goes to the toilet whilst I inject in public lol!

Well better he goes to the toilet than you Steve :lol:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

noblehead said:
Well better he goes to the toilet than you Steve :lol:

I have been on insulin nearly 2 years and have only really recently got the confidence to inject in public. At work, a manager said they had nowhere for me to inject privately, so I said I'd inject in the tea room (I think she thought I'd go to the toilets). She then said she was scared of needles and would faint if she saw me inject. I told her that I'd be sure to tell her when I was going to inject so she could choose to leave the room. Strangley, she doesn't choose to leave the room :?

Smidge

shop

Hi folks,

I have been T1 for 6 yrs and have only injected about 4 times at the table when I thought noone could see, and once where it was difficult to get out, the lady next to me said I don't mind!! Should be more confident about it although it does depend on what I am wearing? If I have a thin item that can't be lifted up then I do it through the material.

I should take inspiration from those of you who don't think twice!

Lucy.