Hands up who's ever had a rebellious period?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm just interested to know, I know most of us on this forum are now pretty good with staying in control but it would be interesting to know particularly amongst the long timers or those who got it young (although replies welcomed from anyone) who has gone through a rebellious period. And what made you stop and finally take control?

I'll start off, I was diagnosed at 15, was compliant for oh, around 6 months, then I realised that I could eat the naughty stuff and nothing bad happened, my parents had been trying to put me on diets from being a fat child at the age of 10 so this didn't really feel much different.
I really struggled at school, uni and as a young adult, just didn't want to be bothered by my diabetes - as I got older i did want to be healthy but found it too far out of my reach. Pre dafne when I was just injecting a set amount each meal, no one told me to carb count or match carbs to insulin so I'd go hypo a lot - it was interfering with my life - so I stayed high to avoid hypos. I just continued in a blank fog of denial for many years, my behaviour became so ingrained it was difficult to change it.

Eventually a letter on the door mat from the eye hospital asking me to see a consultant shocked me back into reality, plus being pregnant a short while later, which also taught me how to carb count as I was testing so often I could see the effects of different carbs on my sugars. And just growing up I suppose. I guess I finally realised I couldn't beat the diabetes, it was bigger and stronger than me, so now I've surrendered to it, accepted it and just hope I've not done permanent damage.

MaryJ

Good question, will be interested in the replies.

I'm new to this (3 months ) and so far am right on it! No slips, will power right up there.

I have dieted for most of my adult life and know your head has to be on it. I'm under no illusion that this is for life (the difference to diets) but I am also a realist that there will be times it gets the better of me.

I'm hoping not and others experiences will hopefully be another tool in my armoury,

Good luck
Mary x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only been diagnosed for three weeks and feel rebellious and annoyed every day at this thing which has taken over my life.

I am interested in seeing the replies to help me get over these feelings and accept what is happening.

At the moment it feels like I imagine caring for an unwanted child would.

sweetLea

Yes, I get times when I am just so **** sick and tired of being diabetic. Most of the time I'm ok but then I'll go through a phase where I just refuse to be diabetic until I come to my senses again and get back on the D-wagon. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often though. :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First eight years I went through a rebellious period although I never failed to take my injections, having kids changed my view on what diabetes could hold if I didn't take good care of myself, gradually been tightening up ever since and don't have any complications except previous retinopathy issues.

WhitbyJet

I have always been the quiet child, always wanting to be good. I was officially diagnosed with type 2 at the grand age of 20, however Drs later told me that I must have had a metabolic disorder or type 2 for many years before the diagnosis.
I was plump but not excessively fat go comparison to my siblings I was forever craving more food even after eating, always asked for seconds.
Once diagnosed I followed dietichan advice to the letter. Everything I ate was low fat eating, cereal and skimmed milk, jacket potatoes with baked beans but no butter. I was truly trying to be a model patient, a set me measuring spoons in every handbag. Small fish was permitted with carefully counted 10chunky chips, they absorb less fat than the thin cut ones. 3tablespoons me mushy peas and a slice me bread with low fat spread!!
I became more and more ill on this healthy low fat diet bg was rising a truckload me medication prescribed, kidneys started to pack in.
Eventually someone introduced me to low carb eating, immense relief to find something that worked. Drs and dietichan were not happy, but that is when I started rebelling. I continued to fat low carb and enjoyed the challenge of finding recipes that the whole family would enjoy. I only fell off the wagon once when I attended a wedding, big mistake , despite drinking alcohol I left with a bg of 16.9, took a few days to get down from that. I cursed myself and the wedding its a wonder they are still married.
I have eaten and enjoyed low carb ever since then , blood work comes back perfect each and every time.
I am glad I rebelled, I am so much healthier for it, not 100% perfect but close enough.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the last 7 years since I have been diagnosed have been a rebellion. Diagnosed officially at 27 but I reckon I probably was pre diabetic for about 4 years before that. In the 7 years I went through, getting married, then horrible divorce, moving about 4 times, stopping smoking....It has always been easy forgetting about diabetes. There were a couple of years I was really good - 2 years ago when I started the Byetta my hba1c was down to 5.8.

Well after 9 months of binge eating since stopping smoking I was tired of it all - so now I am trying to get back on track and have to face an hba1c of 12.9.

I am glad I found this forum now - I wish I had found it before hand..but alas!! I dont want to ignore this anymore!

MaryJ

welcome claymic,

hopefully the end of your rebellious (although could be described as uninformed?)?????? stage

Mary x

Elc1112

Yep. Definitely me.

I was diagnosed when I was seven. Didn't really understand the disease until I was a bit older. When I was 14 I realised that skipping injections meant I lost weight. Got into a viscious cycle and ended up weighing just six and a half stone and HBA1C in double figures. This carried on until I was 17 when I was hospitalise with DKA.

I've been much, much better since then but still have the occasional slip, particularly if I'm stressed and it can sometimes be hard to get back on track.

I've had background retinopathy for the last two years but it hasn't got any worse and I've managed to escape any other complications. Now in my late 20s and I take my diabetes much more seriously.

Sure I will have bad periods in the future. I know how bad it is for me and so on, but this disease can sometimes be difficult to live with and I think we all fall off the wagon every now and again!

Em

the_anticarb

Dislikes
WhitbyJet said:
I have always been the quiet child, always wanting to be good. I was officially diagnosed with type 2 at the grand age of 20, however Drs later told me that I must have had a metabolic disorder or type 2 for many years before the diagnosis.
I was plump but not excessively fat go comparison to my siblings I was forever craving more food even after eating, always asked for seconds.
Once diagnosed I followed dietichan advice to the letter. Everything I ate was low fat eating, cereal and skimmed milk, jacket potatoes with baked beans but no butter. I was truly trying to be a model patient, a set me measuring spoons in every handbag. Small fish was permitted with carefully counted 10chunky chips, they absorb less fat than the thin cut ones. 3tablespoons me mushy peas and a slice me bread with low fat spread!!
I became more and more ill on this healthy low fat diet bg was rising a truckload me medication prescribed, kidneys started to pack in.
Eventually someone introduced me to low carb eating, immense relief to find something that worked. Drs and dietichan were not happy, but that is when I started rebelling. I continued to fat low carb and enjoyed the challenge of finding recipes that the whole family would enjoy. I only fell off the wagon once when I attended a wedding, big mistake , despite drinking alcohol I left with a bg of 16.9, took a few days to get down from that. I cursed myself and the wedding its a wonder they are still married.
I have eaten and enjoyed low carb ever since then , blood work comes back perfect each and every time.
I am glad I rebelled, I am so much healthier for it, not 100% perfect but close enough.

WJ it breaks my heart that you were doing everything you were told and you've still got ill. God, I was doing the opposite of everything I was told (had binge eating disorder/diabulimia) and should be dead by now but I'm still here with only some retinopathy to show for it. I never could understand the diabetic = eat low fat thing. Duh it's not fat we have a problem metabolising is it? I too have found the low carb diet solves a lot of problems, it keeps my levels steady without having to play the novorapid/hyporapid guessing game. I hope you find your health problems clear up, you deserve it.

C

catherinecherub

Thought I'd post this article here.

Author Sue Townsend has more than most to put up with owing to diabetes complications and says that she is totally responsible for the complications of her diabetes. She goes on to say that she thought that she could get away with it but she couldn't.

She is blind, has had a heart attack, a kidney transplant and is now wheelchair bound.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifes ... 35638.html

Spaceage

I was diagnosed Type 2 last May, fortunately it was through a bariatrics program, have alsways battled with weight, dieting on and off since mid teens but I digress, so diagnosed last May and really didn't heed any warnings, still ate bacon baguettes for breakfast and pretty much anything throughout the day not connecting mood swings along with naps at my desk at work!

So this Feb I had gastric bypass (very extreme I know) but 2 months down the line have been off Metformin for a month test sugars after fasting and getting 4.9-5.2 readings, should point out that although nothing per se is off my diet I don't eat bread, pasta or much in the way of rice now. Am feeling great and lost about 30 kilos so far.

I'm piutting this out not to brag but as anoption if it's available for anyone on here, it's still early days but no Metformin and an ever decreasing waistline has me grinning on a daily basis :D

emmatree

I was diagnosed type 2 in 2007 after being diagnosed gestational diabetes in 2006. My rebellious phase started then, although I prefer to call it my "ignoring" phase. I ignored it, mostly, there were some clearer and sensible periods, but pretty much stuck my head in the sand most if the time. And kept on eating that chocolate.

Now, having found and read and learnt on this site, having background retinapathy, and recently panicking about floaters in my eyes, I have finally got a grip.

I'm really hoping that this is it, and I have had my ignorant phase and I won't go back, but my eating (and my head) has been so disordered, that I genuinely fear falling back into denial again.

But, at the moment, doing ok.

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
Me! I was diagnosed with T2 last September and went through a 'Road to Damascus'. I ate healthily and stabilised on the Metformin SR. Then, 'nothing happened' when I went off the rails a bit 'Oh, it's Christmas, everyone eats treats at Christmas' But the treats have continued well into the new year. I think because there is no 'bolt of lightening' whenever I eat what I used to eat before I was diagnosed I think I can carry on as if I am non-diabetic. If there were some very drastic bad effect then I'm sure it would help me get back on the 'D' wagon. At the moment it's a bit like someone who goes on a bender. The hangover is terrible, and you vow never to drink again, but somehow you end up having more than you should! Having said that, I very rarely drink alcohol now, and the hangovers were one of the reasons I stopped. I realised that if I had too much then my body would really suffer the next day. I am hoping that I will get back on track, but I must admit it doesn't feel like a real diagnosis to me. I realise I need to find a way of reminding myself that I am playing the long game here, and by staying as healthy as I can, it will help reduce some of the long term complications. Now, if I had a crystal ball and could see myself in 10-15 years time, maybe that would keep me on the straight and narrow!

I do think it's very hard to manage a long term health problem though, and I'm sure many people struggle with it. Hopefully people on this forum can give encouragement to those who are struggling.

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i have odd days where i think 'sod it' i'm having a yoghurt and a diabetic biscuit after my dinner or if i go out for a meal i might have a dessert (nothing too sticky - cheesecake maybe) but make sure i have extra insulin before the meal but that's about it - nothing too rebellious!!!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
On a semantic tip; I think there is a difference between recklessness and rebellion. I see rebellion as a positive.

Most of the people on here are rebels; because we are disregarding what we have been told (the normal NHS starchy mantra) and are taking control, often in the face of opposition from the very people who are meant to be helping us. Now, if we fall off the wagon then that isn't rebellion it's a negative, it's a failure to keep up the fight; we all do it of course, some for longer than others but there's no rebel glory in it. What are you rebelling against after all? Your health?

I agree with an earlier poster; I wish in a way failing to maintain good blood sugars resulted in some immediate consequence; nausea, flushed cheeks or chronic flatulence ( :( :shock: ) or the like then things would be very easy to keep in line! It is the slow subtle banality of high blood sugars that does us in. So, let's keep rebelling against that and for every fall from the wagon let's get up quick and keep keeping on.

Dillinger

[ the above should be read whilst stirring music plays in the background... ]

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Hi
I was diagnosed at 15 after missing about a year and a half of school and being down at 6st
21 blood tests and 12 urine tests they eventually dragged me out of school to tell me i was T1 diabetic shock didnt cover it no one dealt with it no one told me what to do just what not to do and that is still the case today 15 yrs on
If I go to the doctors Im told its your Diabetes so I just dont phone the GP
I have no diabetes nurse as I have never been given one since moving area 5yrs ago I want to get out this " rebellious" stage but it has been that long i dont know where to go but because I didnt keep the appointments its all my own doing
The joys of the NHS i suppose :(

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Danaemac said:
Hi
I was diagnosed at 15 after missing about a year and a half of school and being down at 6st
21 blood tests and 12 urine tests they eventually dragged me out of school to tell me i was T1 diabetic shock didnt cover it no one dealt with it no one told me what to do just what not to do and that is still the case today 15 yrs on
If I go to the doctors Im told its your Diabetes so I just dont phone the GP
I have no diabetes nurse as I have never been given one since moving area 5yrs ago I want to get out this " rebellious" stage but it has been that long i dont know where to go but because I didnt keep the appointments its all my own doing
The joys of the NHS i suppose :(

If you are registered with a GP they can re refer you to a hospital. I stopped going to appointments at the hospital and I was told i have to be re referred by the GP. Sometime they make you feel so bad at the hospital, and i do not recall one appointment when i was not a bag of nerves the minute i go there - i hate hospitals.....

Karlm

Dislikes
Diabetes.
I occasionally rebel, about once every 8 weeks! It usually consists of a day out with a few friends drinking beer and eating curries. If I feel really naughty I may even smoke a fag!!! But thats about it. I don't do anything that will jeopardize by BG levels. I have found that working out in the gym allows me to do this once in a while without any serious consequences.

Maybe its loophole in the great diabetes battle, exercise loads and treat yourself once in while. But not too often!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I think a lot of it boils down to how much you accepted your diagnosis in the first place. In my case, I just didn't. It is a hard thing to accept, particularly as a young person. In my particular case, I was MODY and in the early stages of MODY it's really not that serious, for the first 7 years I was only on metformin so I didn't have to deal with things like hypos and DKA as my pancreas was still functioning somewhat (now alas it is pretty much down to almost no function).

Its weird, when I did finally accept it i went through a sort of latent mourning period for the loss of my healthy body.

I think in my case, it was definitely a bit of a rebellion against being told what to do, as even before the diabetes started i'd been told I was fat and put on diets by my parents from the age of 10 - so this just felt like another version of that. Yes, in the end I was only rebelling against myself.

I too wish that diabetes had more immediate side effects so that when your blood sugar goes high there is a price to pay that stops you doing it again. I guess it's a bit like pain, the function of pain is to stop you doing something, children can be born with no sense of pain and they end up with horrific injuries and things like biting their own tongues off. Diabetics can end up with horrific things like amputation, blindness and kidney failure.....yup mother nature sure got it wrong with this particular illness!