Ramipril/ACE inhibitor

bufferz

Been for my latest checkup, BG down from 8.8 to 7.5 since starting the gym 4 weeks beforehand, was told to start using ramipiril, despite my BP being approx 130/80. I was told it was the "new" thing to protect my kidneys, but the side effects do not sound nice at all! Anyone else on them? My long term aim is reduce my tablet quantity, not increase it! :crazy:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't take it (take an alternative) there is evidence to suggest ACEs do protect kidneys. (not new evidence) . A lot of people with diabetes take them. The most common reported side effect is a persistent cough. If this occurs there are alternatives (ARBs) which act slightly differently.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm on Ramipril lowest dose with a BP of 130/80. GPs appear to start putting diabetics on BP meds above about 130. My only symptom has been a slightly runny nose; I've had no coughs.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I take it (when I remember) was diagnosed with hypertension long before my diabetes diagnosis.

I absolutely HATE taking medication for anything but Ramipril is ok. I sometimes get a bit of a dry mouth and feel slightly light-headed but am wary of attributing that to the med..so many things can cause those symptoms. I used to take a very similar drug called Enalapril but that really did make me unwell, **** nearly passed out twice, aches and pains so asked to be taken off it.

I guess anything that can help to protect our kidneys has to be good. I didn't know this so will try to make sure I take the bloomin thing in future. :roll:

peter7

I have had ramipril for the last few years, possibly ten. The cough is dry and unpleasant but my Dr has said that for me it offers the best protection. We have discussed medication and since I have been on Warfarin since the 70's I rely upon his judgement. Responsibility for my health managent is mine, but I work with my diabetic support team, my bp had touched 205/170 and recently it is 128/75 so something is working

emmatree

I take Ramipril for kidney protection, my BP is fine. Have taken it for over a year with no side effects and I was suffiently nervous after reading the side effects leaflet to put off starting it for a few weeks!

smitha48

Hi there,

I was prescribed Ramipril when i was diagnosed with Coronary Heart disease!! My BP has always been good, and currently sits in the 105/65 area.

I've had no issues with the Ramipril, not even the cough, BUT my Kidney function is deteriorating, due to the plethora of drugs i now have to take!!

Tony

Adam63

I have been on Ramipril for over eight years. I have been on the maximum doze for about five years. I have never had any problems with side effects. I never think about it now. It is just part of my daily medications.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed 2.5 g a day. Kidney function had to be assessed after 2 weeks and was greater than 99.

Then prescription was increased to 5 g a day. Kidney function had to be assessed now. GP receptionist reports "result is borderline. Drink 2 two to three litres of water a day.

So it appear that my kidney function has decreased within a few week from being as good as it can be to borderline (whatever that means). And that must be the result of Ramipril rather than diabetes.

I will continue with medication and follow the GP's advice.

GP incidentally focuses upon deducting diastolic blood pressure. He contends that he is not looking a systolic.