10s despite no carbs

stevebygrave

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced the same issue as I'm having. I've just started testing again after having moved and registered with a new GP/Nurse. My waking reading was 10.8. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast. My reading before lunch was 10.2 and for lunch I had salad and chicken. The last reading I took (at 17.30) was 10.3. Normally my readings would be way lower than this especially in light of not having any carbs all day. Could this be a sign of needing to start on insulin?

Thanks for your time in reading this,

Regards,

Steve

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Those readings are certainly high but there can be exceptional reasons such as illness, stress etc. I think you need to measure for a few more days 2 hours after a typical meal to see on average what is happening. In addition to knowing what meds you are on, how old are you? What was your last Hba1c reading?

Grazer

Agree with Daibell. Test for a little longer. But if your levels stay like that with those meals, you might need a change of meds.

stevebygrave

Hi and thanks for your replies. I'm on 4 x Metformin 500mg and 2 x Gliclazide 80mg (plus Ramapril and Simvastatin). My last hba1c was 7.4 which was an improvement over the previous one. I didn't have any carbs today for breakfast and my reading is 11.1 (that's over 2 hours since breakfast of bacon and egg). Normally my levels are within limits even when I have a crisp bread with breakfast or lunch. I am stressed as I'm not working at the moment, but can it really have that much of an impact on BG levels?

Thanks again for your replies,

Steve

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
stevebygrave said:
I am stressed as I'm not working at the moment, but can it really have that much of an impact on BG levels?

Thanks again for your replies,

Steve
Sadly yes, the stress hormones raise blood glucose levels ... they cause the rise to provide glucose for the classic fight or fight
http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/View.aspx?url=Article671
Personally, I'd say try to get out for a walk every day, some days make it a long walk, if possible somewhere new. (go to the library and look for walking guides to your area). The walking should both help destress (is that a word?) and also help reduce insulin resistance.

Nevertheless it may be time to talk to your doc about medication.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Ide say give it a bit longer with a low carb diet for it to take effect. Dosnt happen over night, body has to get used to it but keep it up for a while. i think then you wil see results.

Andy

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
I agree with Mothman. if you are not eating any carbs, you could be experiencing "liver Dumps". Keep going for a few more weeks and see what your results are. Good luck, and keep the head up!! :wink:

stevebygrave

Thanks for the replies. I've actually been on a low carb intake for over a year now which is why I'm surprised that by readings have changed. I'll have to keep an eye out on them and report back to my diabetic nurse for advice. Perhaps I'll need to go on insulin which I suppose is a slight pain, but if it helps I'm not going to complain :D

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
from JMM on Lantus and Hypurin Porcine

Hi. I'm on a low carb diet and I too am getting high readings with little or no carb. My control is much worse since I went on this diet. What am I doing wrong

bmorgen

There are other drugs that your doctor might consider before insulin including Januvia and Victoza. The later might require you to go private but it is working well for me. I have to pay £180 per month for Victoza because I am not seriously obese (the main NHS criteria). But I think it is worth it. My former pack a day habit cost more than that! ;-)

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My hba1c is 5.2,

After a medium portion of white rice, my BG rise to 10 ish.

The morning of my operation, when I had eaten nothing but was extremely stressed, it rose to 13 ish. The highest I'd ever seen it.

IMO stress affects me more than diet.

stevebygrave

bmorgen said:
There are other drugs that your doctor might consider before insulin including Januvia and Victoza. The later might require you to go private but it is working well for me. I have to pay £180 per month for Victoza because I am not seriously obese (the main NHS criteria). But I think it is worth it. My former pack a day habit cost more than that! ;-)

Those 2 meds you mention both sound equally worrying!

"Serious side effects can happen in people who take JANUVIA, including pancreatitis, which may be severe and lead to death".

"In animal studies, Victoza® caused thyroid tumors—including thyroid cancer—in some rats and mice. It is not known whether Victoza® causes thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) in people which may be fatal if not detected and treated early''.

I think I'd prefer the insulin :?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry too much about the Januvia which several of us take. Like all meds there are occasional extreme reactions and obviously you need to stop if you come across them, but so far it's a good drug overall. BTW, how old are you?

A

Anonymous

stevebygrave said:
Those 2 meds you mention both sound equally worrying!

"Serious side effects can happen in people who take JANUVIA, including pancreatitis, which may be severe and lead to death".

"In animal studies, Victoza® caused thyroid tumors—including thyroid cancer—in some rats and mice. It is not known whether Victoza® causes thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) in people which may be fatal if not detected and treated early''.

I think if you're going to put things as extreme as that in quotations, then you should post a link to the source. I have heard generally good things about Januvia

janeislay

I too have been low carbing, for many years, and was struggling a bit with my blood sugar levels. I've found I'm actually much better eating a little carb with each meal - my readings have improved.

I think I was eating too little carb and getting these glucose dumps. Now I have two or three spoons of oats, or one slice of home made spelt bread, or two or three oatcakes with most meals and as I say, readings are improved. It's also stopped that occasional craving for sugar be eating around 45 grams of carbs a day (in addition to any green vegetable ones).

Jane