MY cousin of 16 yrs old been diagnosed type 1

Tracey69

MY cousin who has just turned 16 yrs old has just been diagnosed a type 1 diabetic.
She was taken into hospital Saturday night and was sent home Yesterday 06/03/202/12, which i thought was rather quick.
I am now not the only type 1 in the family now, but then i have had diabetes since the age of 6 yrs.
I am not sure what insulin they have put her on yet, but will find out.
She hasn't been well for quite some time ( but i have only just found this out), but she was a large young lady who has lost four stone in about 8 months, virus after virus and then started drinking alot but my family or the doctors had added it all up considering they new what happened when i was diagnosed.
I am glad she is out of hosp, but i just thought it was a bit too soon considering they had only let her inject herself a few times, so what i am asking has this happened to any other youths.
Just concerned as i know things have changed so much.
I wish her all the best, but feel sorry for her as it has come at the age she is and any others like her.
A big life style change considering they have been so use to having what they want, when they want.
Tracey

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Is has become common in Australia to not have a hospital admission with a T1 diabetes diagnosis. They have a day clinic here that parents and kids need to attend but they don't have to stay in a ward when quite often they are not sick. I think it is an effort to not make diabetes out to be something that requires bedrest and a boring hospital. Some kids are going straight onto pumps here also but still need to do some training in using pen needles. In the case of a DKA admission then they need some time in hospital but otherwise it is go home, use the phone and get on with it.

Tracey69

Hi Jen and Khaleb
Thanks for your reply, she had to stay in as she had ketone aciddosis.
As far as i know they haven't memtioned a pump, but i know a little about the pumps.
I am in the middle of reading up on it.
Many thanks
Tracey

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
3 days doesn't sound long but unsure how long they keep newly diagnosed in these days, there's so much to learn at start and I hope she has some productive follow-up appointments.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Yes, Khaleb was DKA at dx and spent 4 days in the intensive care unit and nearly a month in hospital after he got sick while in there also. He was only 8 months old at dx and very hard to stabilise. Older kids that have been diagnosed early would do better not spending time in hospital as if you are idle blood sugar levels may be higher and then when they go home and start running about the levels could take a real dive (especially if a honeymoon sets in at the same time).

serankine

My daughter was in hospital 5 days but it wasnt until day 4 that they told me she was diabetic. Since she was the 5th child that week in they thougth she couldnt be a diabetic due to the numbers. I had given her insulin 3 times before we were sent home. But we did have a home visit from her diabetic nurse 3 days later.
We are now on the pump.

termlife

hi,
Even a born baby is diagonised with sugar, so don't worry. Keep working on diet controlling, doing exercise is the best way to control.

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tracey,
I'm a 16 year old type one myself, diagnosed at 12. when i got taken into hospital, i was only in two nights and they taught me how to inject and sent me home as soon as i got the hang of it. i don't think it's anything to worry about, especially as she already has a diabetic in the family to help her along! but if she needs any help/ advice from someone of the same age, pm me or something and i'll be happy to help if i can :)
hope all goes well
Lois xxx

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
termlife said:
hi,
Even a born baby is diagonised with sugar, so don't worry. Keep working on diet controlling, doing exercise is the best way to control.

Children with type 1 diabetes really need insulin. Having a healthy diet and doing exercise is good for everybody.

EoinSheehy

I'm a 16 yr old Type 1 also, (diagnosed last Easter Sunday, ironic eh?) and I was in for 5 days, 3 days in ICU because my Ketones were so high and then 2 in the wards, for about the last 3 days I was learning to inject myself (mainly because before that I was given the insulin intravenously) it was easy though once I got the hang of it ;-)

Tracey69

Hi everyone
Thanks for all your replies. It was just the fact i thought they may have kept them longer,
to make sure they understood diet regime and insulin techniques. It's just she has had a lot hypo's and even though i advice them to cut the insulin by a couple of units a time, they keep ringing the dns. just seems that they take no notice what ever i say, but hey they will learn.
Thanks everyone

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Tracey69 said:
Hi everyone
Thanks for all your replies. It was just the fact i thought they may have kept them longer,
to make sure they understood diet regime and insulin techniques. It's just she has had a lot hypo's and even though i advice them to cut the insulin by a couple of units a time, they keep ringing the dns. just seems that they take no notice what ever i say, but hey they will learn.
Thanks everyone

You're right, they will eventually realise what a store of good information they have in you :)

These guidelines are useful for anyone with T1 or T2 diabetes who is in hospital for any reason:
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Pr ... ndards.pdf

There will be other excellent resources at that website re medical admissions, I just haven't looked for them yet. From the surgical guidelines I've learnt:
1. always take your own BG meter and plenty of test strips to hospital
2. take your own food to have on hand if you need to eat and they're not responding correctly to your needs
3. be wary of the "sliding scale" approach (even for T2s, who may be put on one (or not) if needed).

kellyahayes

my daughter just turned 3 when she was diagnosed. She became very poorly quite quickly and was said to have ketoacidosis. Apparantly if we had held back another day she would have certainly not been her today. She was put on a drip for 3 days on the childrens ward and allowed home on the forth day after the diabetes team were confident we could handle the injections and they had stabilised her sugar levels. We have since been attending clinic every 3 months and have 24hr emergency admission straight to the childrens ward if anything bad happens. We also have a fab team whom we can contact whenever we need support or a frsh pair of eyes to go over numbers and asjustments