Metformin advice with sickness?

jfran

Ive just started taking metformin (1 a day this week then up to 3 a day).

My background: actually i was diagnosed with diabetes after suffering a severe allergic reaction. I keep on having these severe reactions where I vomit/diarrhea, then itch and head/hands etc swell up and i turn a lovely beetroot colour. (As an aside Doc doesnt seem to want to refer me for allergy tests/discuss this, he is only interested in forcing more diabetes type drugs on me e.g. statins when my cholesterol levels are good).

So today, I took my first metformin - and of course after lunchtime today I have bowel issues which i was expecting from this medicine, quickly followed by another severe allergic reaction. My question is: if i am sick/ and have severe diarhea after taking the medicine, will it actually be effective? Do i need to do anything extra when I have these allergy reactions, or diarrhea issues?

Defren

jfran said:
Ive just started taking metformin (1 a day this week then up to 3 a day).

My background: actually i was diagnosed with diabetes after suffering a severe allergic reaction. I keep on having these severe reactions where I vomit/diarrhea, then itch and head/hands etc swell up and i turn a lovely beetroot colour. (As an aside Doc doesnt seem to want to refer me for allergy tests/discuss this, he is only interested in forcing more diabetes type drugs on me e.g. statins when my cholesterol levels are good).

So today, I took my first metformin - and of course after lunchtime today I have bowel issues which i was expecting from this medicine, quickly followed by another severe allergic reaction. My question is: if i am sick/ and have severe diarhea after taking the medicine, will it actually be effective? Do i need to do anything extra when I have these allergy reactions, or diarrhea issues?

I can't answer about your bowel problems, but what I can say is, have something to eat before taking Metformin. If I take it on an empty stomach then I suffer, but if I eat with them, I am fine. Perhaps that might help settle things a little. Good luck.

jobean

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Hello jfran. When I started on metformin I had real issues with my bowels and constant low level nausea. I then went onto slow release metformin and since then have had very little problems. If your bad stomach persists, it maybe worth asking your doc to change you onto this

Good Luck, Jo