Lancets - Without a device

jessly

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of any Lancets I can use with out device
I want to do a freehand poke so no device or spring activated ones

Could these be used freehand? ( pricking yourself )

0030193658621_500X500.jpg

Thank you in advanced

pianoman

Yes these can be used without a device... this was common practise in hospitals before the spring loaded devices came along.

Hold the bottom shaft, twist the round top off and you have a clean sharp point. Be sure to dispose of it safely afterwards though, as it will still be sharp.

Tell me to mind my own business :D but can I ask why you want or need to use this without the device... the lancet device tends to be less painful in my experience :?

jessly

Lmao, I know I must sound crazy but i actually found free hand didn't hurt me. I did BGL testing on our partners back in class and we all did it free hand with lancets that looked exactly like this. But what I was curious is that when u do it free hand does the entire needle go in? Or is it just the tip prick I don't quite remember

Also can the accu check twist off be used without a device as well :)

P.S - when did the spring activated ones start coming out? Was it just in the past 2-3 years? When I use to donate blood they use to free hand and now a days they use the spring ones

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm another one who who just pokes finger without the device. I have a very strong dislike for the devices.

AMBrennan

I think Abbott lancets are considerably cheaper than Bayer. In fact, you should be fine as long as you avoid the more modern drum-loaded solutions.

stumac0127

I do free hand because I can't be bothered to mess around putting lancets in the sprung device. It takes a bit of getting used to but I don't find it any more painful!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. How do you keep the lancet clean for re-use? Or do you use a fresh lancet each time?

jessly

stumac0127 said:
I do free hand because I can't be bothered to mess around putting lancets in the sprung device. It takes a bit of getting used to but I don't find it any more painful!!

Hey which lancets do you use free hand, if you don't mind me asking.

jessly

AMBrennan said:
I think Abbott lancets are considerably cheaper than Bayer. In fact, you should be fine as long as you avoid the more modern drum-loaded solutions.

Sorry what do you mean by drum loaded solutions

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm curious. What's the technique for using a lancet without the lancet device? Any tips or strategies?

S

Shar67

I use lancets without the device when I think I'm going hypo, it is so much quicker I use BGstar, the base is nice and sturdy too hold, the needle length may go all the way in, depends if you are gentle or not. Definitely less painful

Frostie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious. What's the technique for using a lancet without the lancet device? Any tips or strategies?
Hi. Winnie. Just read aboutome with silicone covering. Thatshoudnot hurt so much. Frostie

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frostie, can you tell me more? I don't understand.

We have a group member who doesn't test her blood glucose because it's so painful - (due to another condition, fibromyalgia). If there are less painful ways to test, I'd like to pass that information on to her.

Also, if there's a technique on how to hold a lancet and pierce the skin without going too deep, I'd like to know how to do that. :)

Frostie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Frostie, can you tell me more? I don't understand.

We have a group member who doesn't test her blood glucose because it's so painful - (due to another condition, fibromyalgia). If there are less painful ways to test, I'd like to pass that information

Also, if there's a technique on how to hold a lancet and pierce the skin without going too deep, I'd like to know how to do that. :)
His Winnie. Frostie. Here. I have metre one touch veriolancests quite small.
Would.

C.f.
Hi Frostie. Here againsomehow lost. I used a one touch verio advances quite. Small. If you give me your address. I will seduces so that yr friend could try them. Regardsfrostie.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Frostie thanks for getting back to me. I looked up the lancet device you're using, and stumbled upon the OneTouch Delica Lancing Device. Here's the link... http://www.shoponetouch.com/product/onetouch-delica-lancing-device

I found its description interesting...

The OneTouch® Delica® Lancing Device, featuring Advanced Glide® Control System, is designed for comfortable testing. Compatible only with OneTouch® Delica® Lancets.

• Reduced vibration for smoother lancing
  • Advanced Glide® Control System is designed for comfortable testing
  • OneTouch® Delica® Lancets available in two sizes: 30 Gauge (Fine) and 33 Gauge (Extra Fine)
  • Virtually pain-free testing*
  • Easy-to-use ergonomic design
  • 7 depth settings allow for personal comfort
  • Quiet lancing experience
  • Ejection control for easy removal of used lancets

The OneTouch® Delica® Lancing System is for fingertip testing only.

*In a clinical lancing study of nearly 200 people with diabetes, 4 out of 5 reported the OneTouch® Delica® Lancing System was virtually painless when used with the OneTouch® Delica® 33G Lancet.

Thank you Frostie! I will share this information. Might even buy one to try myself!

Last edited by a moderator: